Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knowing the season is only 3 games old

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Knowing the season is only 3 games old

I was getting the feeling that our hitters seem to be more patient this year and decided to look at some team hitting stats. The Reds are:

#1 in BB & OPB
    #11 in SO
    #4 in SLG

So obviously it is a small sample size but it seems that all of our hitters are taking a patient approach seeing pitches and definitely working the opposing starters into early high pitch counts. Can this be credited to Chambliss or is just a matter of facing two wild cubs starters and one young pirate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Knowing the season is only 3 games old

Simply the MO of this offense. This group wears pitchers out.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

3 games doesn't even rise to the level of a small sample size. It's basically nothing, statistically.

Statistically significant? Heck no. Encouraging? Definintely. While I wouldn't try to project anything, 20 walks to 21 strikeouts is a good sign if nothing else.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

more insignificant stats through 3 games:

reds pitchers 20 strikeouts to 7 walks

Well.

Looking good so far.

Do this again after 10 games definitly something to watch.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Small sample size bah!!!!

Reds all the way in 2006!!! Party in October!!! Wooooo!!!!!

(someone remind me to cut down on my caffeine)
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by top6
    3 games doesn't even rise to the level of a small sample size. It's basically nothing, statistically.
    True, but the core of the offense is essentially the same as in the two previous years, with Hatteberg adding to the deep count workers in the lineup. I'd say that's a big enough sample size to say what you see is what you get.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Even though it is 3 games old, this is definitely an encouraging site to see with our Reds boys. I was at the game yesterday and the typical batters (Dunn and Kearns) struck out. Dunn has 4 and Encarnacion have 4, but that is only because Edwin is struggling right now and it's typical for Dunn to have that many K's. Can anyone find out how many pitches our batters take on average?

If one is looking at three games as a sample size... watch out for those Tigers..
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Code:
    Cincinnati Reds Team Batting Statistics 
     AB P/PA 
    Ken Griffey Jr. 12  3.47
    Felipe Lopez 12 3.94 
    Adam Dunn 12 3.29 
    Austin Kearns 12 4.77 
    Rich Aurilia 10 3.00 
    Edwin Encarnacion 9 3.50 
    Javier Valentin 8 2.67 
    Tony Womack 7 4.56 
    Scott Hatteberg 6 3.70 
    Ryan Freel 3 5.83 
    David Ross 3 3.25 
    Aaron Harang 2 4.00 
    Chris Denorfia 2 5.50 
    Bronson Arroyo 1 3.00 
    Brandon Claussen 1 3.00
    Last edited by Red Leader; 04-07-2006 at 12:43 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

With the number above, I'd have to say that I'm impressed with Womack's 4.56 pitches per plate appearance, Kearn's 4.77, and Lopez's 3.94. The other guys I expected to see a lot of pitches. Dunn's figure is a little lower than I expected.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    Even though it is 3 games old, this is definitely an encouraging site to see with our Reds boys. I was at the game yesterday and the typical batters (Dunn and Kearns) struck out. Dunn has 4 and Encarnacion have 4, but that is only because Edwin is struggling right now and it's typical for Dunn to have that many K's. Can anyone find out how many pitches our batters take on average?
    Yeah, but did you see where some of the pitches were located that were called strikes on Dunn?

Same old, same old. Umpires can't seem to get it that the bottom of his strike zone is much higher than most other batters.

Kearns had one really low ball called a strike as well. But it doesn't happen to him as much as it does to Adam.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    With the number above, I'd have to say that I'm impressed with Womack's 4.56 pitches per plate appearance, Kearn's 4.77, and Lopez's 3.94. The other guys I expected to see a lot of pitches. Dunn's figure is a little lower than I expected.
    He has seemed to be a more aggressive when given a first pitch fastball ... fine by me. I bet Grabow wishes he had taken that pitch last night.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    He has seemed to be a more aggressive when given a first pitch fastball ... fine by me. I bet Grabow wishes he had taken that pitch last night.
    Yeah, I'm fine with it, too. Actually, I think as the season goes on, and pitchers get a little smarter and better able to locate their stuff, I would expect that number to go up because Adam Dunn isn't going to see many 1st pitch fastballs, or at least any around the plate.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?