Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom Dies After Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank

Re: Mom Dies After Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank

I can't believe they didn't fire her. Usually I'm pretty merciful about on the job mistakes but that is ridiculous. The only way she shouldn't be fired is if her supervisor had been advising people to treat calls that way.

That union head should be voted out as well. I'm a big believer in unions(at least since the government isn't interested in protecting workers) but her approach to the situation was not right, IMO.

Wow, I'm so mean today .
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I was in an apartment in Florida about ten years ago, and I started to dial long distance back home to North Carolina, which has a 910 area code.

I mis-dialed and hit 911, realized it, and hung up and dialed again.

About five minutes later, a Sheriff's cruiser showed up knocking on the door. I had no idea why, and he said someone dialed 911. He insisted on coming in and looking around, which I was fine with. He even looked in the shower, everywhere, making sure someone wasn't there who needed help.
    The exact same thing happened to me about ten years ago when I tried to call Poughkeepsie, New York (919) from my own apartment. I was living in a sketchy neighborhood outside of Denver at the time, and it kinda freaked me out when the cop pounded on my door. I thought I was gang initiation bait or something.

The officer did the exact same search of all 400 square feet of my palatial apartment.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

The city of Detroit is so screwed. Watch the video to listen to the 911 call from the 2005 call. It's unfamothable and disgusting!

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/new...36/detail.html

DETROIT -- A prominent lawyer filed a multimillion-dollar, wrongful-death lawsuit on behalf of the family of a Detroit boy who called 911 to get help for his mother, but was denied because the operator thought the call was a prank.

The woman's young son was unable to convince a 911 operator his mother needed help.

Geoffrey Fieger said 46-year-old Sherrill Turner, who had an enlarged heart, would have survived if help had been sent immediately.

In the lawsuit filed on behalf of the Turner family Monday, Robert and his sister -- and now guardian -- Delaina Patterson, were present. Fieger said that Robert, 6, "did exactly what he had been taught to do by his mother."

After Turner collapsed, Robert placed two calls to 911. In the first call, Robert said his mother had passed out, but an operator asked to speak with an adult.

Robert Turner called 911 to get help for his mother, whom he found lying unconscious on the kitchen floor of their Detroit apartment in February, the station reported.

"Then I had felt her tummy. She wasn't breathing. Then I had called 911," said Robert. "I told them to send an emergency truck right now."

911 Operator: "911. What's the problem?"

Robert: "My mom has passed out."

The 911 operator, however, did not take him seriously and told him to stop playing on the phone, the station reported.

911 Operator: "Where's the grownups at?"

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "Let me speak to her before I send the police over there."

"I tried to tell them she wouldn't talk," said Robert.

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "I don't care. You shouldn't be playing on the phone. Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you gonna be in trouble."

Robert: "Ugh!" (Hangs up.)

Robert told the operator that his mother could not talk. He was scared by what the operator told him, so he hung up the telephone, unaware that his mother died. Police arrived after the second call. But Sherrill Turner was dead.

Fieger said Sherrill Lynn Turner died as a result of the actions of a 911 operator in Detroit, and the attorney said the incident was not an isolated occurrence in the city of Detroit.

"Had they responded immediately at that first call, just before 6 p.m., she certainly would have survived," said Fieger.

An audio tape was played during a news conference at Fieger's Southfield office Monday morning of another 911 caller who was denied help, according to the attorney.

Lorraine Hayes called 911 on Jan. 12, 2005, to report that she was shot in her head and back by her husband, Fieger said.

"I'm on the floor. My body is numb. I am getting ready to die," said Hayes.

The 911 operator accused Hayes of having a mental problem and refused to provide help, according to Fieger. Hayes told the operator, "I am not crazy," according to the audio recording.

Hayes called a short time later, and the operator falsely told Hayes that an ambulance was being sent to her home, Fieger said. As a result of the incident, Hayes was paralyzed, according to Fieger.

Fieger said the city of Detroit has denied the incident with Hayes. A lawsuit was filed several months ago.

Fieger, best known for defending assisted-suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian, appeared on morning talk shows with the boy, Robert Turner, who turned 6 last month.

A friend of the 911 operator who answered the call offered her apology to Robert and his family.

Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully Cummings promised a thorough investigation of the operator's response.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

A prominent lawyer...Geoffrey Fieger.
    Isn't this the same "prominent lawyer" that defended Dr. Death (aka Jack Kevorkian)?!?!

Nice to see that he has decided that saving peoples lives is worth his time and effort instead of killing them! Or perhaps making money is his primary concern... nah, not a lawyer! Me so confused...
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

when i was 5, one of my second (or third, not sure how the cousin grouping is divided) cousins passed out in the bathroom of my Uncle's house and was turning blue. i called 911 and they thought it was a prank. then i called again, but left the phone off the hook. few minutes later a cop showed up, and then they called the paramedics.

everything was fine, til i was about 14 and found out he had passed out from overdosing on cocaine...
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/09/D8I4QLI00.html

Two 911 operators who authorities say did not believe a 5-year-old boy who called to say his mother had collapsed were arraigned Friday on willful neglect of duty charges.

Judge Jimmylee Gray entered not guilty pleas for Sharon Nichols 43, and Terri Sutton, 47. If convicted of the misdemeanor, they could get a year in jail.

The women declined to comment afterward, but their lawyers said the operators intend to fight the charges.

"We look forward to coming to court and defending this case in the proper forum," said Sutton's lawyer, David Lee.

No police car was sent after Nichols took the first call on Feb. 20. The boy then called again three hours later, and Sutton sent police out to discipline the child and inform the parent that the youngster was dialing 911, prosecutors said.

When police finally arrived, 46-year-old Sherrill Turner was dead.

Disciplinary action against the operators was pending and could range from suspension without pay to dismissal, police said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

saboforthird

This just burns me up, and I have no real reason to feel that way. Nothing like that ever happened to me or my family or friends. I can't BELIEVE that the 911 operator isn't going to be fired, because of her "years of public service". She sounded like a complete ***** in that call transcript, in my opinion. Anybody that treats callers like that ought to be prosecuted.

saboforthird

Sorry about the cussing. I should have just done this three times, and been this ....instead of doing this and being this

Turn Off Ads?