Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Brandon Phillips

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Reds Acquire Brandon Phillips

Cash or a PTBNL.

We've cornered the market on middle IF's...Bowden had his thing for 5 tool guys...guess Krivsky has it for up the middle defense.

Kata was DFA.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Acquire Brandon Phillips

Alright - another underachieving 2Bman!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2400878

Indians send Phillips to Reds for cash or player

Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- Infielder Brandon Phillips, a one-time starter who never fulfilled expectations in Cleveland, was traded by the Indians on Friday to the Cincinnati Reds for a player to be named or cash.

The clubs announced the deal shortly before the first pitch of the Indians' home opener against Minnesota.

Phillips won the starting job in spring training and was at second base for the Indians on Opening Day in 2003. But he struggled and was sent back to the minor leagues at the All-Star break after batting just .210 -- the AL's lowest average among qualifying players -- in 88 games.

The 24-year-old has spent most of the past two seasons at Triple-A Buffalo. He was a September call-up in each of the past two years, but batted just .129 (4-for-31) with one RBI.

The Indians had run out of options on Phillips, who came over with Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee in the six-player deal that sent Bartolo Colon to the Montreal Expos in June 2002.

Phillips had a decent spring training this year, but he couldn't beat out Ramon Vazquez for the Indians' utility infield spot.

He has always been a spectacular fielder, even after being moved from shortstop to second base. But Phillips' swing has been his downfall. While with Cleveland, he fell in love with hitting home runs and despite efforts by the Indians to make him a better contact hitter, he never became one.

In 135 major league games, Phillips drew only 19 walks and struck out 92 times.

To make room for Phillips, the Reds designated infielder Matt Kata for assignment. He was claimed off waivers from Philadelphia on March 15.

Phillips is expected to report to Cincinnati in time for Saturday's game against Pittsburgh.

The teams have until June 15 to complete the deal.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-07-2006 at 05:44 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

at least he's a young 'un
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I don't get this. I thought the thread was a joke when I first looked at it. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

This might drive Freel to Drink.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    This might drive Freel to Drink.
    I think it's going to be driving him to the Airport.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I like it

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    I like it
    Could he be our Adolpho Phillips?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Could he be our Adolpho Phillips?
    he hits like Don Kessinger

Please oh please oh please let the PTBNL be Eric Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    he hits like Don Kessinger
    Or Ken Hubbs?

Let's hope he stays away from Private Planes

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Please oh please oh please let the PTBNL be Eric Milton.
    Dan O doesn't work for Cleveland
    Go Gators!

I like it. Phillips has a great glove, good glove, and still has a little potential in that bat. He's not going to turn into Barry Larkin like some were predicting but I would rather him than Tony Womack.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Let's see...now it'll be Phillips on Sundays, Freel on Mondays, followed by Womack on Tuesdays, Aurilia on Wednesdays, and...hey, wait! Who's going to play on those other days???
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

The PTBNL will probably be someone like David Shafer or Calvin Medlock- a guy who put up solid numbers last season that isn't widely ballyhooed as a prospect.

Turn Off Ads?