Turn Off Ads?

Thread: One Tiny Tidbit On: The Reds, The Twins, The Blue Jays and The Rangers

One Tiny Tidbit On: The Reds, The Twins, The Blue Jays and The Rangers

One Tiny Tidbit On: The Reds, The Twins, The Blue Jays and The Rangers (4/7/06)

1. Cincinnati Reds. Pete Rose was not responsible for the first major ban imposed on the Cincinnati Reds. In 1880, the Cincinnati Red Stockings were expelled from the National League for ten years due to their insistence on selling beer at the ballpark, and for playing Sunday games. Upon their readmittance to the National League, the team shortened their name to the Reds, due in part to the success of the National League’s Boston Red Stockings prior to and during Cincinnati’s absence. Every team in baseball now sells beer at the park and plays on Sundays, making this the only instance in history in which Cincinnati was ahead of its time about anything. — (thanks to Annie DiMario).

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/baseb...ers-165792.php
    I only posted the "tidbit" about the Reds. For the entire article, click on the link.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One Tiny Tidbit On: The Reds, The Twins, The Blue Jays and The Rangers

Interesting... I guess the first all professional team, or the first night game weren't that big of a deal? Just proves a point I made a million times, the Reds seem to be a fogotten team. I know that MLB has nothing to do with that article, but I truely believe that MLB would rather the Reds history fade away so they could say that New York, Chicago, or Boston were the original professional team. Makes more marketing sense, but its very frustrating for Reds fans isn't it? I actually know a person who asked me if the Reds were an expansion team because of how bad they were doing. Granted, they don't follow baseball that close, and they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I bet they would know that the Yankees weren't an expansion team. Part of this is the fault of the team and the fans for not pounding it into peoples head, but MLB sure doesn't seem to keen on helping do they? Eh, its probably just me though.

Haunted by walks

That site would rather be snarky than well-informed. I think it was taking a cheap shot at the city itself, but anyway, here are some more for the list.

First team to travel by plane.

First televised major league game.

First team to go wire-to-wire.

First team in the National League to hit 9 homers in a game.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    Interesting... I guess the first all professional team, or the first night game weren't that big of a deal? Just proves a point I made a million times, the Reds seem to be a fogotten team. I know that MLB has nothing to do with that article, but I truely believe that MLB would rather the Reds history fade away so they could say that New York, Chicago, or Boston were the original professional team. Makes more marketing sense, but its very frustrating for Reds fans isn't it? I actually know a person who asked me if the Reds were an expansion team because of how bad they were doing. Granted, they don't follow baseball that close, and they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I bet they would know that the Yankees weren't an expansion team. Part of this is the fault of the team and the fans for not pounding it into peoples head, but MLB sure doesn't seem to keen on helping do they? Eh, its probably just me though.
    What exactly do you want MLB to do? Hand the club a pennant for five straight years of sub-.500 ball? Finance a bronze statue of Jimmah Haynes on Main Street? Perhaps immortalize the fickle morons booing Griffey as he lay on the field with a separated shoulder after attempting a spectacular diving catch? You said it yourself: The team and the fans do themselves no favors with poor play on the field and lots of empty seats in the stands.

The Reds' past is a glorious and proud tradition. However, that doesn't hide the fact the you've awoken from a drunken stupor to find yrself spooning Medussa. I don't care how many hotties you were talking to last summer, your friends and everyone at the bar remembers the girl with the snakes in her hair. Oh, and no amount of effort on your part to remind everyone of the bombshell blonde of 1990 is going to make anyone forget the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    One Tiny Tidbit On: The Reds, The Twins, The Blue Jays and The Rangers (4/7/06)

Quote:
    1. Cincinnati Reds. Pete Rose was not responsible for the first major ban imposed on the Cincinnati Reds. In 1880, the Cincinnati Red Stockings were expelled from the National League for ten years due to their insistence on selling beer at the ballpark, and for playing Sunday games. Upon their readmittance to the National League, the team shortened their name to the Reds, due in part to the success of the National League’s Boston Red Stockings prior to and during Cincinnati’s absence. Every team in baseball now sells beer at the park and plays on Sundays, making this the only instance in history in which Cincinnati was ahead of its time about anything. — (thanks to Annie DiMario).

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/baseb...ers-165792.php

I only posted the "tidbit" about the Reds. For the entire article, click on the link.
    Interesting. It reminds me of the Mark Twain quote about his thoughts on Cincinnati being 20 years behind the times no matter when you visit.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    What exactly do you want MLB to do? Hand the club a pennant for five straight years of sub-.500 ball? Finance a bronze statue of Jimmah Haynes on Main Street? Perhaps immortalize the fickle morons booing Griffey as he lay on the field with a separated shoulder after attempting a spectacular diving catch? You said it yourself: The team and the fans do themselves no favors with poor play on the field and lots of empty seats in the stands.

The Reds' past is a glorious and proud tradition. However, that doesn't hide the fact the you've awoken from a drunken stupor to find yrself spooning Medussa. I don't care how many hotties you were talking to last summer, your friends and everyone at the bar remembers the girl with the snakes in her hair. Oh, and no amount of effort on your part to remind everyone of the bombshell blonde of 1990 is going to make anyone forget the recent past.
    One difference, the past in the MLB is recorded and well documented. Sure, you hear a lot about the Big Red Machine, but just the team, not the players on it. How many times do you hear somebody talk about the 1927 Yankees and name the players on that team. Granted, the 1927 Yankees team had more star power, but you can't look past the fact that there is a clear bias in the MLB for its big market franchises of New York, Chicago, and Boston. The Reds have not faired well recently, but Chicago has had it's own struggles. That doesn't take away from the past. I'm not saying it's all the fault of MLB, in fact even we as Reds fans should push the tradition harder, but the MLB doesn't seem to want to help. If Chicago lost 100 games this year, the MLB would still push their tradition. Maybe because thats the attractiveness of the Cubs and in Cincinnati fans just like baseball so they don't need another reason to show up, I don't know. This isn't about giving the club credit for what it's done recently, its about not acting like the past never happened. Its just the fact that the MLB doesn't want to take away from the tradition of the Yankee's, Cubs, or Red Sox. Ask 100 people who the first professional team was, how many of them would say one of the three I just mentioned. I'm guessing if you aren't asking in Cincinnati, about 75 of them would. Thats just wrong. When did tradition stop being such a big deal in Cincinnati anyway?
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 04-08-2006 at 01:23 PM.

If Chicago lost 100 games this year, the MLB would still pust their tradition.
    Oldest team in the NL (along with the Braves) the flagship team of the 19th century and probably the 2nd best of the first 50 years of the 20th Century... they still have the media pull.

Among firsts by the Reds

First team to go south in the spring (1888)
    First team to train out of the USA (in Puerto Rico 1936)
    First team to barnstorm in Cuba (1908)
    First team to sign Cuban players (1912)
    First team to fly out of the country
    First team to have a full time radio announcer
    First team to have a 15 year old play for them

Re: snarky, Deadspin is run by Gawker media and exists to be snarky. It's actually, in my humble opinion, quite a well-informed and often very astute commentary on the sports world not available through the major media outlets such as ESPN, and humor is naturally a huge part of that. The "Four Tiny Tidbits" segment, in particular, is supposed to be a collection of random facts told with a bit of humor. It's not supposed to be a comprehensive history on the team, just random, well, tidbits that the general public almost certainly does not know and would probably find interesting (and the fact that a team was banned for SELLING BEER is pretty interesting to the general sports public, and almost certainly not well-known). This really should be put in context of the site. It's worth noting, too, that each team got a "four tiny tidbits" segment leading up to the season, but this was the last one involving a silly fact each about only four teams. So the Reds are hardly ignored.

I've always found the name implications of this fact fascinating. The Reds were a terrible team when they were banned at this time, but had they stayed around and remained good, I wonder whether Boston's team would have stuck with the Red Stockings name.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 04-08-2006 at 03:29 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    First team to go wire-to-wire..
    The commonly held belief that the 1990 Reds were the first team to do this is an urban myth. The 1984 Tigers went wire to wire, six years earlier.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/04031984.htm

The Tigers and Indians were tied for first place at the end of play on April 3, which was opening day for both teams. The Yankees and the Orioles had both lost the day before, which put the five remaining teams in the division in a tie at zero wins and zero losses, half a game ahead of the Yankees and Orioles.

The Tigers and Indians both played night games in the Central Time Zone on April 3, so I can only assume they began at nearly the same time. The Tigers-Twins game lasted 2:10, while the Indians-Rangers game lasted 2:51, so even if the Indians-Rangers game started a half hour earlier than the Tigers-Twins, the Tigers-Twins game still would have ended earlier than the Indians-Rangers, putting the Tigers alone in first place, even if only for a few minutes.

The Tigers won their first nine games and 35 of the first 40. The Indians shared first place with the Tigers, until being beaten in their fourth game of the year in Kansas City. The Tigers did not relinquish first place at all that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    The commonly held belief that the 1990 Reds were the first team to do this is an urban myth. The 1984 Tigers went wire to wire, six years earlier.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/04031984.htm

The Tigers and Indians were tied for first place at the end of play on April 3, which was opening day for both teams. The Yankees and the Orioles had both lost the day before, which put the five remaining teams in the division in a tie at zero wins and zero losses, half a game ahead of the Yankees and Orioles.

The Tigers and Indians both played night games in the Central Time Zone on April 3, so I can only assume they began at nearly the same time. The Tigers-Twins game lasted 2:10, while the Indians-Rangers game lasted 2:51, so even if the Indians-Rangers game started a half hour earlier than the Tigers-Twins, the Tigers-Twins game still would have ended earlier than the Indians-Rangers, putting the Tigers alone in first place, even if only for a few minutes.

The Tigers won their first nine games and 35 of the first 40. The Indians shared first place with the Tigers, until being beaten in their fourth game of the year in Kansas City. The Tigers did not relinquish first place at all that year.
    Gosh I didn't even notice that. I've never heard anyone say the Reds were the first team to go wire-to-wire...that's patently not true. I had to do some research on this once -- these are the wire-to-wire teams to date:

23 NY Giants
    27 Yankees
    55 Dodgers
    84 Tigers
    90 Reds
    and after
    97 Orioles
    98 Indians
    01 Mariners
    03 Giants

and though I did this research early last year, I think the White Sox ended up doing it too (man, my memory is shot).

Fascinatingly, though, every team up until the 90 Reds ended up winning the World Series except the 23 Giants, but not one after the Reds has even GOTTEN there (unless Chicago went wire-to-wire last year). It's not shocking, really, as the Orioles, Indians, and Mariners were really not such great teams. Wire-to-wire, though a competitively admirable feat, means less than I believe people think it does, and recent results indicate, in my mind, what a different beast post-season play is.

A little trivia: there is a handful of players who have been on more than one of these teams, three of them Reds: Eric Davis, Norm Charlton, and Randy Myers. Other players include Geronimo Berroa (Bawlmore and Cleveland), Jeffrey Hammonds (Bawlmore and SF), Arthur Rhodes (Bawlmore and Seattle), and David bell (Cleveland and Seattle). Not exactly an All-Star team.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 04-08-2006 at 04:16 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Wow, I had no idea it had happened that many times. I was just going from memory with a little bit of research.

Turn Off Ads?