Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do NO switch hitters hit L/H vs a lefty pitcher?

Why do NO switch hitters hit L/H vs a lefty pitcher?

Now, I understand that most lefties are better against right-handers, but I can not understand why you NEVER see a switch hitter bat L/H vs a lefty. Thinking about how Valentin struggles against lefties got me thinking. Why doesn't he give it a go?

Another reason I ask this is because, as a southpaw myself, I found myself doing better against lefties than I did vs righties (hitting at least).

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why do NO switch hitters hit L/H vs a lefty pitcher?

Well then they wouldn't be switch hitters would they?

Seriously, I think players see being a switch hitter as being more marketable then just being a leftie.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Well then they wouldn't be switch hitters would they?

Seriously, I think players see being a switch hitter as being more marketable then just being a leftie.
    Heh...it just always struck me as odd, I guess.

Haunted by walks

J.T. Snow. He was a switch-hitter who turned to hitting lefthanded against lefthanders.

Mariano Duncan went the other way.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Pete Rose went lefty against Randy Jones, IIRC, since he couldn't hit him righty.

Didn't work, IIRC.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I've always thought this as well. Felipe has such a sweet smooth stroke LH, but I have no faith in him as a RH. JV straight out mashes LH, but RH has little to offer. I wish those two would just be LH, and work on that vs. LH. Their swings should be good enough to bat .200 vs. LH, because that is about all they do RH.

Edit: Felipe is making me insert foot in mouth
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 04-08-2006 at 02:49 PM.

As a LHB, LHP is really tough to hit against. Even average LHP pitchers were a challenge to hit off of. I think it is the angle of the ball when it comes out of a LHPs hand. Looks like its coming right at you, or it is way outside, when it's not.

Another question, how come there are no practically SS that hit LH that have long careers?

There have been 302 LH batters with more than 4000 at bats, only 5 were SS (1.6%) and only 2 of them have played since divison play.

Every other position has at least 11 players with 4000 at bats.

This is the type of stuff that keeps me up at night.
    Last edited by westofyou; 04-10-2006 at 01:08 AM.

Another possible explanation, this one described by Neyer, and it makes quite a bit of sense to me.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/columns...rob&id=1731104

By the way, one thing I neglected to mention in Friday's column: as Steve Treder noted in a Baseball Primer discussion thread that includes technical discussions of all this, "there is far less variation in platoon split among major league RHB than among major league LHB. It is an empirical fact."

Why would this be? Here's one theory (not my own, by the way) ... Growing up, right-handed batters face mostly right-handed pitchers, and so they get used to them. When they reach the minor leagues, it's not easy to hit a curveball or slider thrown by a right-handed pitcher ... but at least they've seen those pitches before. But there are very few left-handed pitchers in Little League, and few even in high school. So when a left-handed hitter enters professional baseball, having already spent many years learning to hit, he will probably have faced very few left-handed pitchers. And very few good left-handed curveballs and sliders.

As I said, it's just a theory. But it's the best theory I've seen.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I think I've seen switch hitters bat lefty against Glavine before since his changeup breaks towards a lefty.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    Another possible explanation, this one described by Neyer, and it makes quite a bit of sense to me.

Makes sense. Just always wondered why. Thanks y'all.

Bump for Marc D from last nights game thread.

This happened this week against the Reds. I think it was in Philly, a switchboard (whose name is elluding me) decided to bat leftie against Hammonds to count his breaking pitch, IIRC and ended up homering.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792

This is exactly what I've thought for years.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    This happened this week against the Reds. I think it was in Philly, a switchboard (whose name is elluding me) decided to bat leftie against Hammonds to count his breaking pitch, IIRC and ended up homering.

It was Jose Valentine I think.

Turn Off Ads?