Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is it really Great American?

Is it really Great American?

17 homeruns have been hit in Cincinnati this year already, and the sportswriters are quick to take notice of the "hitter-friendly" park. Most of the homeruns I've seen have been shots that would clear the fences in any park.

I realize the numbers don't lie: Last year GABP allowed the 3rd-highest HR total, I believe. I tend to subscribe to the theory that it is the result of "pitching to contact" more than it is the design of the park. Comparing the dimensions to other MLB stadiums, it really isn't that much smaller.

When hitters are smashing 420-foot bombs, the pitchers can't blame it on the ballpark.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Is it really Great American?

When hitters are smashing 420-foot bombs, the pitchers can't blame it on the ballpark.
    Sometimes it's the way the park allows the ball to carry that makes it go that far.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Sometimes it's the way the park allows the ball to carry that makes it go that far.
    I don't remember Riverfront getting as much press about the HR total that GABP gets, and it's the same air. Do you think it is the open-end design that promotes the extra carry?

Even so, I still contend that the homeruns I've seen hit this year would have been HRs anywhere. Carry doesn't matter when the ball is hit that far in the first place.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

I'd blame the pitching.
    Go Gators!

I don't know why people are upset about how many hrs are hit, everyone loves the long ball.

Reds have a bunch of pitchers who tend to give up the gopher-ball. Reds have a bunch of hitters who tend to hit the gopher ball. I would vote that this is more of a case of players skewing the stats for the ballpark than the other way around.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

If Krivsky is able to normalize this team over the next 5 years, I think the reputation of GABP as a hitters park will vanish.

Baseball Prospectus and other publications have already shown that it's somewhat of a home run park, but not ridiculously so. Offensively, it's pretty neutral (suppressing singles to make up for the nudge in homers).

Unfortunately, the math involved is kinda complicated, so we'll have to wait until we have a real pitching staff, and a non-elite offense for it to show to the layman. (And I consider 95% of baseball writers to be laymen).
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I dunno. When you have a pitcher who is striking out 10 batters in a game and only giving up 8 hits i find it hard to believe Its JUST THE PITCHERS when they leave the game in the 6th with an 8 ERA giving up 5 runs cause of 2 HRS

Take away those HRs and he gave up 1 run and prolly threw about 10 less pitches and makes it to the 7th inning.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Bad pitching is still the easiest way to make the ball go far.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by GridironGrace
    I dunno. When you have a pitcher who is striking out 10 batters in a game and only giving up 8 hits i find it hard to believe Its JUST THE PITCHERS when they leave the game in the 6th with an 8 ERA giving up 5 runs cause of 2 HRS

Take away those HRs and he gave up 1 run and prolly threw about 10 less pitches and makes it to the 7th inning.

Harang served up just one HR today to Castillo and it got out in a hurry. I thought Harang pitched pretty well -- heck, all you have to do is keep the opposition in single digits and the Reds have a fighting chance. Fact is, the Reds starters don't have the luxury of putting a couple of guys on base and having a pen to bail them out of trouble. Harang wore out and Burns couldn't shut the door on the inning which would have preserved a "quality start."

In the end, he got the W and that's what matters most.

Back on topic: I think all HRs that were hit today would have been HRs anywhere. Aurilia, Kearns, and Castillo all connected.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I wish it had bigger gaps. Triples are alot of fun. Doubles too.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    I wish it had bigger gaps. Triples are alot of fun. Doubles too.
    Like I said..take out the walls

Love to see some guys trying to track balls down before they roll into the river
    Go Gators!

Bad pitching + great hitting background.

If they want to nuetralize this ballpark they should muddy up the hitter's background a bit. Apparently hitters see the ball really well in the GAB. If so, it is not surprising that they hit the ball really far.

If the outfield was bigger it may cut down on the homers but it wouldn't reduce the era. Our outfielders can't cover a whole lot of ground. They are in there for power not speed or "D".

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Reds have a bunch of pitchers who tend to give up the gopher-ball. Reds have a bunch of hitters who tend to hit the gopher ball. I would vote that this is more of a case of players skewing the stats for the ballpark than the other way around.
    Nah.

Over the last three years (2003-2005), there have been 1262 HRs hit in games involving the Reds (Reds HR + Opponents HR). Of those 1262 HR, 681 (54%) have been at the GABP while only 581 (46%) have been hit on the road. That 8% difference is pretty darn big and has been escalating. Last year (2005), the gap was 12% with 441 total HR, 246 at the GABP (56%) and 195 on the road (44%).

In each of the last three years, the Reds + their opponents have hit more homers at the GABP than they have on the opponents home turf. That is what we stats-geeks call a trend. There can be no doubt about it ... the GABP is a fairly extreme HR park.

Turn Off Ads?