79 78.22%
  • Starting Pitching

21 20.79%
  • 1st Base

1 0.99%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd and Ends...

Odd and Ends...

If you had a choice of what to upgrade by the Trade Deal line. What would you upgrade?

The Bullpen?

Starting Pitchers?

1st base?

I'm going with bullpen... Our pen needs help, and quick. The Pen is our weakness... I think our Starting staff is good enough to keep us in games... Our Offense is good enough to win us games....

So, come down to the deadline for this year, or next... I'm looking for bullpen guys... Unless someone comes up with a offer good a good starter..

2nd thing....

Wayne K, has a plan with these 2nd/1st/3rd/SS people we have. Hopefully we'll see this plan work its self out soon...

3rd.

Wagner will be called up soon... By the end of next week i'm saying....

4th thing...

Made me almost wreck my car today....

There was a caller on the post game show that said Woemack, Freel and Aurilla should be starting.

Moving Dunn back to 1st, Woemack to 2nd and Aurilla to 3rd ( )

Sitting EZE on the bench. (You kidding me?!)

Also he said it should be a Freel/Woemack lead off combo and Lopez hitting like 5/6/7 hole depending on who is pitching that night.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Odd and Ends...

1st thing
    bullpen

2nd thing

bullpen

3rd thing
    bullpen
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bullpen, definately....wow....I never thought I'd hear myself say that we need to upgrade the bullpen over the rotation. No need to upgrade 1B, we're fine with Aurilia and Hattey there.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Oh yah... I forgot...

Marty said something about Casey being a Red for life (meaning this is where his family is, and thats where they are going to stay, during and after his baseball carrer is over)

You think Casey will sign back with the Reds after this season?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    Oh yah... I forgot...

Marty said something about Casey being a Red for life (meaning this is where his family is, and thats where they are going to stay, during and after his baseball carrer is over)

You think Casey will sign back with the Reds after this season?
    Something in my gut says yes.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I think we should do the same poll in a month. It might be different. I know our pen isn't good right now, but we could all very well be saying starters soon too.

As far as casey goes, hope he takes a huge paycut if he comes back. I'm fine with our lineup as is right now. Casey still leads in gidp. Casey 3, Reds 2 for the season.

IF Case comes back... I hope is for a few million a year and whoever is manger at the time uses him correctly.... Lower in the order.

Jockstocks Homepage

If Case comes back what happens to Dunn to 1st (that will happen eventually) or Votto? not a fan of that idea.

Anyway, I wouldn't start dealing for the pen, try and find some serviceable guys around, but don't trade all out chips for it.
    Go Gators!

If the starting rotation is upgraded, than you have an extra experience pitcher to go into the bullpen. So I chose rotation. Isn't it that simple?

The pen has obviously been terrible so far. I'd be willing to give guys like Hammond and Burns a few more chances, but if a 6 run cushion isn't enough to win a game after 6 innings, it's time to bring in some new arms.

Easily, Wagner has to be a better alternative to Burns or White.

We just need a bonafide closer. If we added one, we could move Merck and Weathers into setup roles, making the entire pen better immediately. Easier said than done.

It's weird not having a lights-out closer. Seems like the Reds have always had one (even Graves had his share of successes). Guess we got spoiled by Myers, Dibble, Franco, Brantley, Shaw, etc.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Just because the starting rotation hasn't been toxic yet doesn't mean it lacks toxicity.

The important thing for Wayne Krivsky is to keep his eye on the ball. Yes, the bullpen's horrible. Problem is the Reds have precious few resources to trade. What he needs to be getting if he moves someone like Kearns or LaRue isn't a short-term bullpen fix. He needs to snag a starter who can pay some dividends next year and the year after and the year after that.

He also needs to find some high octane arms for the bullpen. That may be a task for the offseason. It's important to remember that bullpen construction doesn't have to be a high profile endeavor. In the meantime, Krivsky ought to be open to dealing arms out of his current bullpen. If David Weathers is having a solid season, then see if he's got a market near the trade deadline.

I like the 4-1 start, but the Reds are also showing us why they aren't really a serious contender (inability to keep the other team from scoring in bunches). Don't let a wacky week in April divert you from making substantive changes that can pay long-term dividends.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I am surprised more people haven't voted for the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Go Redlegs!!!!

Casey is a .300 hitter with a pretty good glove.

Better than any 1st baseman we have now too.

I'd love to have him back next year.
    "Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Just because the starting rotation hasn't been toxic yet doesn't mean it lacks toxicity.

The important thing for Wayne Krivsky is to keep his eye on the ball. Yes, the bullpen's horrible. Problem is the Reds have precious few resources to trade. What he needs to be getting if he moves someone like Kearns or LaRue isn't a short-term bullpen fix. He needs to snag a starter who can pay some dividends next year and the year after and the year after that.

He also needs to find some high octane arms for the bullpen. That may be a task for the offseason. It's important to remember that bullpen construction doesn't have to be a high profile endeavor. In the meantime, Krivsky ought to be open to dealing arms out of his current bullpen. If David Weathers is having a solid season, then see if he's got a market near the trade deadline.

I like the 4-1 start, but the Reds are also showing us why they aren't really a serious contender (inability to keep the other team from scoring in bunches). Don't let a wacky week in April divert you from making substantive changes that can pay long-term dividends.
    Another excellent post M2. There are already several posts on the board looking to plug the holes in a 4-1 start. During some 5 game stretch during the season, the offense will look anemic. At other times, the rotation will look terrible. This team can't afford to make decisions based on knee jerk reactions. As the season goes on, the true nature of this team will become more evident. At that point, we can decide what moves will bring us the most long term value.

Like M2 said, we have little to trade from. Any move Wayne makes needs to be thought out carefully. When you are in the corner this franchise finds itself, the stakes are a lot higher. Moving a valuable piece for some temporary bullpen help is the type of move the Reds can't afford to make.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?