Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sweet Lou thinking of returning soon

Sweet Lou thinking of returning soon

Read this on ESPN, the question is area we enough of a contender to get Lou into Cincy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2402290

Piniella mulling return, but only for a contender
    Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Lou Piniella wouldn't mind getting back into managing in the major leagues.

But his most recent taste of three, largely pointless seasons trying to rebuild Tampa Bay has left the former Reds, Mariners and Devil Rays manager thirsting only for a contender.

"I would probably hate to end my career with three losing seasons like I did in Tampa Bay," Piniella said Saturday night inside Safeco Field.

He was back in the city in which he managed for 10 seasons as a surprise participant in a pregame ceremony the Mariners had for retired catcher Dan Wilson. Piniella received a standing ovation from fans still appreciative that his seasons in town included the ones that saved baseball in Seattle. The Mariners' first postseason in 1995 led to their new stadium in 1999.

After saying there are "no perfect scenarios" that would get him back in the game, Piniella said he wouldn't want to replace any manager who may be fired during this season. He prefers to wait until 2007 to begin the season with a team.

And not just any team.

"I'm not interested in managing a developing team," the 62-year-old Piniella said. "I'm not interested in managing a team that isn't interested in winning now ... instead of in the future.

"I still enjoy the winning and, obviously, the losses still hurt. If that weren't the case, obviously, I wouldn't want to be involved with baseball on the field."

He said he's noticed from afar the job Jim Leyland is doing with Detroit, which is 5-0. Leyland had been away from managing for six years.

"He's rejuvenated," Piniella said.

For now, Piniella said he is as far away from baseball as possible. He is at home in Tampa, Fla., "fishing, playing a little golf, spending time with my family."

He said he stays in touch with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, whose team has its spring training headquarters in Tampa. He called Steinbrenner, for whom Piniella played 11 seasons.

"We're good friends," Piniella said.

"I'm tan and rested," he said. "I haven't missed it. This year I never put on a uniform in spring training. First time."

In May, Piniella will begin a job as a weekly weekend game analyst for Fox Sports. He began broadcasting during last October's playoffs. Piniella's first game this season is May 20, White Sox versus Cubs.

He will work initially with Thom Brennaman. Piniella knows him and his father, broadcaster Marty, from their Cincinnati days.

Piniella pointed out he and Mariners catcher Kenji Johjima have the same agent, Chicago-based Alan Nero. Nero got Johjima his $16.5 million, three-year contract with Seattle to become the first major league catcher from Japan last winter.

"Tell him to get me the same contract, huh?" Piniella said, laughing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Sweet Lou thinking of returning soon

I got to think he would be more than welcomed as a Reds manager. But we all know who will end up inking him to a contract and that is the Yankees. Unfortunatly the Reds who may be off to a good start probably wont finist near the top. If ownership starts making some noise come deadline and has the team set for a contender then I think we could lure a big name coach like Lou Piniella. I just fear that him going to the Yankees wont prove much of him as a manager as he would join a team who litterally has an all star at every position which would overshadow his managerial skills/accolaids.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well, Castellini loves him, his 1st base coach is here, and Narron's on a 1 year deal....

As soon as I saw "contender" I said "so much for the Reds"
    Go Gators!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    As soon as I saw "contender" I said "so much for the Reds"

True.. But we are under the impression that ownership wants a winner now.. though we've been under that impression for about 7 years now.

Yeah, but we're in 2nd place though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Torre is likely done after this year especially if they win the WS. Sweet Lou and George have a good relationship too. The yankees have a fat checkbook and millions of reasons why Lou should and will coach for them. Sorry but no sequel in Cincinnati for Lou.

Retired

I don't think Lou to NY is a done deal, but it's an option. I think the Reds are an option for him as well. Honestly, I think they will be #1 and #1a on his list. This team can win with some pitching, the offense is so good we don't even need aces, just respectable arms and we can post some wins. I think Lou will see that.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him in a Reds uni sooner rather than later.

If the Yankees dont win it all this year, sweet Lou will be back on broadway.

Managers in second stints rarely do well so Lou thanks for the memories but your not a good fit here.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Well Torre and Steinbrenner seemed to have reached new ground in their relationship over the winter, so for now (until the first Yankee 3 game losing streak anyways) Torre looks as safe as he ever has in NYC. It's definitely an option, but I still think Torre is back next year with the Yanks. Narron better get this team pretty far this year. Maybe not playoffs, but at least show that it's closer to winning than many of the "experts" think. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sweet Lou next year.

Turn Off Ads?