Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Foulke. Papelbon. What the heck?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Foulke. Papelbon. What the heck?

Ok, I'm relatively new to fantasy baseball.

With that said, I'm in a yahoo league (non Rotisserie) that is very low on innings and we get a ton of points, for saves for some reason. So, I stacked my pitching with closers and even took the two relievers that have RP/SP, as well, so I can play them as starters.

My relievers:

Wagner
    F. Cordero
    Fuentes
    Turnbow
    Foulke
    Reitsma
    Jenks
    -With Heilman and Dempster able to slot as starters since they are RP/SP's.

I see Papelbon just got his 2nd save. Is he the new closer in Boston??????

If so, what (free) site will tell me this in the future (other than yahoo) so I don't look like an idiot. The guy I really want to beat just picked up Papelbon two days ago.

HELP!

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Foulke. Papelbon. What the heck?

www.rotowire.com

Not sure if Papelbon is the new BoSox closer, but I picked him up
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

It wouldn't surprise me if Keith Foulke's problems last year weren't entirely attributable to injury. He might have lost velocity on his fastball - for good. If he can't get it up to 89 or so, then there's not enough differentiation between his FB and change up.

Papelbon was a closer in college.

The Red Sox aren't saying publicly he is the closer. But you do the math.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Welp, there is most likely going to be another save situiation for Boston if the Red Sox don't score in the top of the 9th today in Baltimore. Will be interesting to see if Francona pitches Papelbon in back to back games or lets Foukle have a chance today.
    Matta = Really good

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Papelbon got it. That's 3 saves in the first week. I didn't see the game. I guess Foulke pitched well in the 8th.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I think today pretty much sealed Papelbon as the #1 closer for the Sox. Back to back days, and Foulke pitched the 8th today.

Foulke might get a few chances here and there, but as long a Papelbon is healthy, he'll close the majority of the games.
    Matta = Really good

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Francona has said that Foulke is still "the closer" but that he's not ready for high leverage situations just yet. Basically, if Foukle gets it back, he'll close. Until then, he's middle relief. Ride Papelbon for now, but don't be surprised to see him lose the job through no fault of his own down the road.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?