Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty and Hal believe a trade is brewing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Marty and Hal believe a trade is brewing

Marty and Hal were talking about this during the second inning of Saturday's game. Apparently Hal asked Narron about the acquisition of Brandon Phillips...and Narron's response was, "if I told you, I would have to kill you". Both Marty and Hal believe a trade is in the works. I believe Marc has even commented that he wouldn't be surprised to see a trade on Monday.

I'm trying to figure out who it could be. It wouldn't be an outfielder because they most likely wouldn't have sent Denorfia down knowing one of the outfielders were about to be traded.

You can absolutely not trade Felipe Lopez unless you get a bonafide number one starter in return. Edwin Encarnacion should also be untouchable unless a team dangles a Francisco Liriano or Justin Verlander type of pitching prospect.

Adam Dunn should only be dealt for two players in major league baseball: Albert Pujols or Rich Harden.

I want to hang on to Kearns, however, if someone offers a deal that blows me away then I would do it. I would only trade Freel if it nets me two power arm relievers or a #2 or 3 starting pitcher.

I would look into packaging one of the catchers plus a prospect for Jeff Francis. He will never do much in Coors Field anyways so why not go after him. Gavin Floyd is another guy I would like to have.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-09-2006 at 02:31 AM.

Re: Marty and Hal believe a trade is brewing

I have a sinking feeling that it'll be Freel..and we won't get equal value for him, more then likely an old bullpen arm.
    Go Gators!

That's what I'm thinking as well. We all like Freel here, but truth is he doesn't have huge value on the market, because he doesn't hit for power or have a lofty batting avg. We are looking at an old bullpen arm as you said in exchange. I would much rather trade Womack/a catcher for the same bullpen arm, and keep Freel. That way even if they do want to hand the job to Phillips then Freel can back up both middle IF spots.............and play OF if needed. He is just to valuable a utility guy to get rid of for a crappy arm...........and to make room for a kid who didn't want to listen to his coaches in Cleveland and got sent packing. I really hope we're wrong on this one.

Would not only be a shame, but also lame to let Freel go for bogus bullpen fodder. Freel is the team's most qualified lead-off hitter, he's just now entering his prime and he's signed cheap for a couple of years.

We may or may not need him at 2B, but he's our best heir apparent to succeed Junior in CF and gives us options at RF, LF and 3B. The fact is, Junior should not be manning CF for us this time next year. Maybe he's traded this summer or next winter in a package for pitching and prospects. Maybe he's converted to LF or 1B. But if he's still our CF, we're asking for trouble.

Junior can still rake, but he can no longer adequately field the position. If we can transition him to another position, fine. If not, he has to be moved, and we have to have someone waiting in the wings to patrol CF.

Everyone's building up Denorfia and he looks like the real deal. But I'd like to see him collect 250 ML at-bats before pronouncing him a long-term OF fixture. He should supersub as the fourth outfielder a good half-season or so before vanquishing Kearns, Dunn, Griffey or Freel.

If Freel is on the auction block, then this new regime is not thinking ahead. Womack, Phillips or Aurilia might between them be able to hold down 2B for awhile, but none of them will ever be an acceptable lead-off batter for the Reds or a possible replacement for Junior in CF, or someone who can get the fans jazzed the same way as Freel.

Yes, we have a logjam at 2B, but Freel belongs on the team, whether at 2B or elsewhere. He isn't dead wood to be cleared away. We need a table-setter, a catalyst for our powerful offense, and he's the obvious bird in hand. The brain trust isn't to be trusted if it can't recognize his talent or why we need a legitimate lead-off man.

Speaking for myself, I think that's a more important role to fill than having a designated closer. We don't have a clearcut closer, but we do have Freel. A cup half-filled is better than one that's empty.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Freddie Bynum is a younger, poorer version of Freel with little MLB experience and he netted Juan Dominguez last week, a guy who has quite the live arm. I'm sure that fact didn't go unnoticed by Mr. Krivsky

GOREDSGO32

I read that the White Sox wanna trade a starter ... if the Reds can get something out of there, that would be pretty awesome.

Another team to keep eye are the Twins with Tony Batisita at 3rd and Juan Castro at SS with outfield of Shannon Stewart ( who cant throw anymore ) and Torri Hunter ( Free agent aftr this year) and Mike Cuddyear as there outfield, Twins would be an legit canadiate to trade with. Krvisky know the Twins farm system and has a good working realtionship with Twins's GM Terry Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    I read that the White Sox wanna trade a starter ... if the Reds can get something out of there, that would be pretty awesome.
    There was a rumor on Marc's blog that the White Sox are offering Garland or Garcia for Griffey. I don't know if this is thrue or not because it was posted by him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    There was a rumor on Marc's blog that the White Sox are offering Garland or Garcia for Griffey. I don't know if this is thrue or not because it was posted by him.
    I would do Griffey for Garcia/Garland and Anderson in a heartbeat.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Quote Originally Posted by VI_RedsFan
    I would do Griffey for Garcia/Garland and Anderson in a heartbeat.
    I don't know if Anderson was included, plus we don't really need him. I would do Griffey for Garcia in a heartbeat, but Garland I might have to think about.

If you trade Griffey then Freel and Deno are your centerfielders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I don't know if Anderson was included, plus we don't really need him. I would do Griffey for Garcia in a heartbeat, but Garland I might have to think about.

If you trade Griffey then Freel and Deno are your centerfielders.

I don't think Jr would go to World Champ White Sox

Another team to keep eye are the Twins with Tony Batisita at 3rd and Juan Castro at SS with outfield of Shannon Stewart ( who cant throw anymore ) and Torri Hunter ( Free agent aftr this year) and Mike Cuddyear as there outfield, Twins would be an legit canadiate to trade with. Krvisky know the Twins farm system and has a good working realtionship with Twins's GM Terry Ryan.
    Excellent point -- the Twins also have Kubel in the OF, but, as you say, they are quite weak offensively, and with Hunter possibly leaving after this year, they could be on a slippery slope. As with the Arroyo trade, it looks to be a good match.

The Twins, by far, make the most sense as a trading partner. That offense sucks logs.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Can he be stopped?

Trade Rich, not Ryan... please! Or a catcher.... Ross hasn't sucked, and made a really nice play on that bunt DP. I'd be fine loosing LaRue.

My guess is this: If the deal is Monday it will be Javier Valentin and either Aurilia or Womack for bullpen help. This gives us 2 catchers (Larue is activated on Monday) and eliminates the logjam at 2b.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?