Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We Are Marshall

Re: We Are Marshall

Very emotional, indeed. I saw the film last night. The attention to detail for the era was top notch and they did a great job with the story. The actors did a wonderful job with the characters, particularly Anthony Mackie, who played Nate Ruffin, and Matthew Fox, who played Red Dawson. It was great to see "Home" on the big screen and the fact that the movie was done so well.

In the late fall of 1971, Jack Lengyel, Nate Ruffin, and Reggie Oliver attended our little league football banquet. It was a thrill for a 10 year old to get rub elbows with the stars of "The Young Thundering Herd." They all gave us autographs, shook our hands and moved around and talked with us throughout the evening. You could tell that they were happy to be there with us and enjoyed it nearly as much as we did.

I have to tell you that I shed a few tears in that movie theatre last night. It took me back to that time in my life, the emotions that were felt, and it was quite eerie. If you get the chance, go see the film. I realize it will not be the same for most people as it is for those who directly experienced the story. It is still a very good movie and I think most will enjoy it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, I didnt go opening night, but I just got back from seeing it.

I may be biased since I grew up around Huntington, but this is IMO one of the best sports movies of all time. I would probably say that as well if this was filmed in California or another state. I know people are going wild over Matthew McConaughey, but Matthew Fox should be up for an Academy Award for the role of Red Dawson.

I didnt have the highest of expectations going in, considering it came out ranked 7th in the box office and WSAZ(NBC affiliate out of Huntington) has been promoting the movie non-stop.

On a side note, I did like the casting of a young Keith Morehouse. Even though WSAZ has beaten the movie to death, it was nice to see them showing Keith the way they did.

I wasnt born when the plane crash happened, but this movie really hits home if you live around the Tri-State area, regardless of age.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I also just got back from seeing this GREAT film! It was very emotional throughout the movie, and I also agree with WVRed, it is one of the best sports movies.
    Let's make some noise!

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

We saw this as our "family movie" that we try to do around Christmas every year. I knew about the story before the movie, but not any of the details.

The part with Bobby Bowden, and when Lengyel and Dawson were watching the film and the two players walked in on them, etc. That part choked me up a little. I was thinking in my head the very same line that Matthew Mc said. "First Class".

This is one of those few MUST see movies.

I finally saw "We Are Marshall" last night. I was supposed to go with my family a few weeks ago, but I was sick. Last night I took my mom to see it.
    Tears welled up in my eyes several times. Well done. Matthew Fox is particularly excellent in his performance as Red Dawson (the real Red Dawson played a Morehead coach in the film).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This is a great movie!
    Baseball is life

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I just got around to seeing this on DVD. The extras on the DVD include a promotional video for Marshall University and a promotional trailer for tourism in West Virginia that features 3 the principal actors in the film. They make nice bookends for the film.
    /r/reds

Wonderful film!

Turn Off Ads?