Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We Are Marshall

Re: We Are Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    They are showing the trailer on the scoreboard at the Herd game today; should be a moving experience in a stadium full of Marshall fans. I am really looking forward to this movie.
    I had planned to go to the game, but then my sons bailed out on me, with my 15 year old off on his dirt bike with friends and my 13 year old off with his football teammates at a party. I changed my mind at the last minute and went to the game by myself (Marshall won, 54-31).
    At halftime, McG, the director of "We Are Marshall" came onto the field. He introduced the trailer, which was then shown on the scoreboard. I tear up just watching the trailer on my computer. When the scene in the trailer depicting Marshall students yelling "We are.....Marshall" came on the scoreboard, while I was sitting in a football stadium full of Marshall fans, some of whom had lived through the aftermath of the 1970 crash---I had tears, goosebumps....kinda like an electric charge went down my spine.
    McG then lead the crowd in repeated cheers of "We are....Marshall! We are....Marshall!"
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Manchester United's plane crashed upon takeoff after a European game in Munich in the late 50s. Oklahoma State had a basketball plane crash a few years ago. There have also been several fatal accidents involving small colleges here in Ohio. The list could go on for a long time. It really is shocking when you start listing of sports related accidents, though I can't think of another on the massive scale of the Marshall plane crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    It really is shocking when you start listing of sports related accidents, though I can't think of another on the massive scale of the Marshall plane crash.
    I think that figure skating crash I mentioned would definitely qualify. 73 people died, but figure skating is a much smaller sport so the effect was huge. Given that it was all the best skaters in the country plus their coaches, it was less like wiping out a sports team than it was like wiping out, say, all the players on the way to the All-Star game, along with all the All-Star managers as well.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerRed View Post
    If I remember correctly, around that same time, Wichita State's football team was involved in a plane crash that also claimed some lives. And didn't the Evansville basketball team suffer a similar fate back in the '70s? Also a few years ago, a bus carrying the Notre Dame swim team skidded on an icy road, killing some members and injuring a few others.
    I think the Marshall movie will be very good, but I can't stomach Matthew McConaughey. He's right up there with Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck in the category of actors I'll never pay to see in a motion picture.
    Evansville was 12/13/77. 29 people died in that crash. They've got a display at Roberts Stadium, which I looked at when I was there for a Kiss show about 9 or 10 years ago, even though it happened before I was born, I had heard of it.

We Are Marshall - Movie

I'm surprised no one posted this. There was a nice article in this morning's Enquirer regarding the new movie coming out about the Marshall University football team the season after most of the players, coaching staff and team boosters were killed in a crash at the Hunington, WV airport.

Several players and staff were from Cincinnati, including three from Moeller High School (one was from my parish in Deer Park, Mark Andrews from Silverton). It should be an interesting movie. The other two players most likely were from two other nearby parishes because one was from Deer Park and the other from Amberley Village.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/611140399

The movie is ostensibly about Marshall's first home win versus Xavier University in the waning days of their program.

Giving this thread a bump, since another poster expressed surprise today that no one had mentioned the upcoming film.

We started our threads about the same time. Here's my thoughts and the link to the Enquirer's story:

I'm surprised no one posted this. There was a nice article in this morning's Enquirer regarding the new movie coming out about the Marshall University football team the season after most of the players, coaching staff and team boosters were killed in a crash at the Hunington, WV airport.

Several players and staff were from Cincinnati, including three from Moeller High School (one was from my parish in Deer Park, Mark Andrews from Silverton). It should be an interesting movie. The other two players most likely were from two other nearby parishes because one was from Deer Park and the other from Amberley Village.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/611140399

The movie is ostensibly about Marshall's first home win versus Xavier University in the waning days of their program.
    I called my oldest brother to ask if he saw the Enquirer story but he hadn't. He was good friends with Mark Andrews' sister and I remember the crash well too. I was a sophomore at Moeller when it happened. I just watched the trailer and it choked me up watching it. Frankly, I thought Matthew McG. looked good in the few clips in the trailer.

I saw some of the Marshall football team at a movie theater back in 2001 when my oldest daughter was looking at BGSU. I mentioned that my family knew one of the players from that team and they knew all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Giving this thread a bump, since another poster expressed surprise today that no one had mentioned the upcoming film.
    Ah, now I understand. Nice thread from you all and thanks to TPTB for closing mine and mentioning it had moved.

I got to read the script. It is going to be a very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I haven't tried out for any parts in the film. A 50 year old guy probably doesn't make a convincing student.
    22 years of college down the drain!

I find it hard to believe it has been 36 years since that horrendous tragedy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

There is a good two page article on the film in this week's "Sports Illustrated."
    There was a gala premiere of "We Are Marshall" in Huntington last Tuesday night, with all the film's stars in attendance. Last night, my wife and two older sons saw the film and loved it. I am very anxious to see it.

My family is going to see the film on Saturday evening here in Charlotte. Got tickets yesterday for the advanced showing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it and know it will be quite emotional for my wife and I. Matt, my son, is also quite anxious to see the film as he is a huge Marshall fan.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Evansville was 12/13/77. 29 people died in that crash. They've got a display at Roberts Stadium, which I looked at when I was there for a Kiss show about 9 or 10 years ago, even though it happened before I was born, I had heard of it.
    My old high school basketball coach's son was on that team and died in the crash, there was a memorial to him at our high school.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    My family is going to see the film on Saturday evening here in Charlotte. Got tickets yesterday for the advanced showing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it and know it will be quite emotional for my wife and I. Matt, my son, is also quite anxious to see the film as he is a huge Marshall fan.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I saw it last Thursday.

University of Cincinnati

Saw the sneak preview tonight in West Chester. Great movie, very emotional. Matthew M. (cant spell his last name) was excellent.
    THE University of Cincinnati

Turn Off Ads?