Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got a new kitten...

Just got a new kitten...

So, the missus comes home today with a cardboard box and low-and-behlod, there is an adorable orange kitten in it. She tells me it's only for a week as her friend from work can't keep them all .

We already have a 4 yo and a 3yo cat in our small apt. I'm not thrilled with this, but damn if he isn't cute as all hell.

That being said, any suggestions on how to introduce "Runy" to the other two etc?

TIA

edited to add pics:

I mean, come on!

How can you not love this bundle of cuteness?!?

Taking after dad
    Last edited by SirFelixCat; 04-10-2006 at 11:00 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just got a new kitten...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

What worked for us was keeping the 2 cats apart but letting them get the scent of the other, we'd keep them in sep rooms then exchange rooms a few times over, they ended up being best buddies
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

What worked for us was keeping the 2 cats apart but letting them get the scent of the other, we'd keep them in sep rooms then exchange rooms a few times over, they ended up being best buddies

How long of a time period are we talking?

We live in a SMALL one bedroom apt. right now, so the only room we could put the lil'un in and close a door is the bathroom...is it ok to leave him in there all alone?

*new to the kitten thing*

Couple of days will work.

We left one in the kitchen alone, he was cool with it
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Couple of days will work.

We left one in the kitchen alone, he was cool with it
    Well ok, cool.

Well, not knowing any better, I brought him into the bedroom and both the other cats came up to him and sniffed him, but I was sitting right next to him in case of just that. The oldest and more mellow of the two, but still feisty at times, seemed a lil confused and apprehensive, but just sniffed. Meanwhile, lil Runy fell asleep

The younger of the two, was REAL apprehensive, as in, "WTF is that thing", but got a sniff or two in and that was that. No animosity (sp?), yet.

Also, I should note that the two older ones are fixed females and the lil'un is a 6 wk old male.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    So, the missus comes home today with a cardboard box and low-and-behlod, there is an adorable orange kitten in it. She tells me it's only for a week as her friend from work can't keep them all .

We already have a 4 yo and a 3yo cat in our small apt. I'm not thrilled with this, but damn if he isn't cute as all hell.

That being said, any suggestions on how to introduce "Runy" to the other two etc?

TIA
    Just keep a door betweeen them, maybe give the kitten a blanket that is fresh and let the kitten sleep on it, then the next day let the other cats smell it (they'll know it's from that thing on the other door) maybe do the same for the kitten.

Be slow in the introduction, 3 is a new dynamic, sometimes one of them gets peeved.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Just keep a door betweeen them, maybe give the kitten a blanket that is fresh and let the kitten sleep on it, then the next day let the other cats smell it (they'll know it's from that thing on the other door) maybe do the same for the kitten.

Be slow in the introduction, 3 is a new dynamic, sometimes one of them gets peeved.

I'll do this. Thanks, woy.

TIA
    It's only for a week!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red
    It's only for a week!! LOL
    I know, right

cute kitten
    School's out. What did you expect?

The oldest and more mellow of the two, but still feisty at times, seemed a lil confused and apprehensive, but just sniffed.

The younger of the two, was REAL apprehensive, as in, "WTF is that thing", but got a sniff or two in and that was that. No animosity (sp?), yet.

Also, I should note that the two older ones are fixed females and the lil'un is a 6 wk old male.
    Cat 1: "He's yours"
    Cat 2: "WHAT?!?!"

Cute pictures
    Go Gators!

I Still Miss Sean Casey

Hang on to him. I, too, live in a one-bedroom apartment and I had a calico at one time (also used to be owned by one of my former bosses) for about four months. Was declawed and had to stay indoors but had the itch to go outside. One night, she darted out of the door and into the field across the street from the parking lot, never to be seen or heard from again.

I still miss her.

Pretty cute. My wife got a new puppy... a pekingese. We have had him for about a month now. My 12 year old cat, and her 10 year old daughter are not thrilled.

His name is Chewie. True to his name, he ate my cat 5 cable to my computer.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

added new pic to 1st post

Turn Off Ads?