Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music

Music

I'm just kinda curious to see if there are people with similar musical intrests as me on this board. I've decided the best way to do that is to talk about Cds that you have just bought or that are coming out.

I'll start out with a question. What CD can you just not get enough of right now? For me, its got to be Hellogoodbye's EP. Its just downright infectious. But don't let that fool you. I also listen to a lot of Hardcore/Metal. I can never get enough ZAO or Norma Jean. As I talk right now, I'm listening to Between the Buried and Me's latest CD "Alaska."

As for other intrests in music, here are a few of my favorite bands, which I'm sure a lot of you don't know. I'll start with the ones in my CD collection, in no particular order: Blood Bothers, Circa Survive, Underoath, Emery, Mae, Fall of Troy, Zao, Demon Hunter, From Autumn to Ashes, Staple, From First to Last, Spitalfield, Vendetta Red, The Bled, Chiodos, Bedlight for Blue Eyes, Blindside, Hellogoodbye, The All-American Rejects, Staind (older stuff), Evans Blue, Hawthorne Heights, Say Anything, Sullivan, Fall Out Boy, The Chariot, He Is Legend, Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying, The Fold, Thrice, Thursday, Thousand Foot Krutch, Falling Up, The Mars Volta, The Hurt Process, Audio Slave, Coheed and Cambria, Disturbed, Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Panic! at the Disco, Funeral for a Friend, Project 86, Finch, The Julianna Theory, MewithoutYou, My Chemical Romance, Pillar, Spoken, As Cities Burn, Haste the Day, She Wants Revenge, In Flames, The Used. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing some. I'm into a lot more Hardore/Metal than my collection would indicate.

I would also like to discuss CDs of any kind that you are waiting for. The ones that I can't wait for are being released this Spring/Summer. The Classic Crime's debut on Tooth and Nail records "Albotross," Jonezetta's debut on Tooth and Nail, Underoath's new CD which comes out in June, Dead Poetic's new CD, and ZAO's newest release.

Well theres my start to this tread, can't wait to see where it goes from here. Hopefully, we can have a great conversation on music.
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 04-10-2006 at 11:41 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Music

Out of the whole hardcore/emo genre, mewithoutyou is probably one of the better bands as far as originality and sustainability go. I used to listen to a lot of the bands you mentioned but I have branched out in the past 3-4 years towards older rock and more 'indie' oriented music. Right now my favorite artists are the National, Kind of Like Spitting, John Vanderslice, Baby Dayliner, Nada Surf, and Belle & Sebastian.

You might be interested in checking my website out, www.invisiblelimb.net.

This thread might also be of some help, too:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ight=listening

I think the last CDs I bought were the new one from Editors, and the live If You're Feeling Sinister album from Belle and Sebastian. I dig both. Recently, I've gone back into the archives and listened to a lot of my older stuff. A lot of Fugazi, Pavement, and My Bloody Valentine. For some reason, once the weather starts getting warmer, I hit Pavement pretty hard. They're more or less a major part of my Spring soundtrack every year.

Time is the Revelator.

Yay, more Belle & Sebastian fans.

Absolute love. Got to see them live a month ago, and it was great.

I listen to mainly indie, alternative, folk/country rock, ect.

I currently listen to the most: the dresden dolls, belle and sebastian, lucero, mates of state, ok go!, man man, tegan and sara, muse, tool, pink floyd, the flaming lips, etc. So many more.. really.

I got to see The Dresden Dolls, OK Go, Nine Black Alps, The Sun (from Columbus!), Rock Kills Kid, and Bril in Columbus on Saturday. Great show, everyone was fantastic besides Bril, who suck - hehe. I made the drive just for the Dolls though, and will again in July. Can't wait.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

FYI...

Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Crutch, Blindside, Haste The Day, Pillar, Project 86 are all Christian bands. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious thread, nor do I even want to debate about it. Just giving some info.

Have you heard Flyleaf yet? Their debut is GREAT. The 4 songs on the EP were much better, because they toned down the lead singers (female) screaming for the actual album.

I like alot of those bands, not all. I really like Breaking Benjamin. Some would say they are too "pop", but I really like both albums so far.

Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Flaming Lips, Jack Johnson, 311, In Flames, Sublime, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews' early stuff. Most music sucks to me.

As far as newer popish stuff, I think the Linkin Park/Jay-Z mashup CD is pretty good.

I just don't see how anyone could like Fall Out Boy. To each his own and different strokes, I guess.

P.S.- first one to say James Blunt doesn't count.
    Last edited by guttle11; 04-12-2006 at 12:04 AM.

I'd say the stuff I'm listening to most right now is Dave Matthews Band (as always), Mike Doughty (a lot more, really like his first solo album), John Butler Trio (Austrailian band that doesn't get as much exposure in the US), Jack Johnson (another one that I've started listening to a ton more lately), OAR, and Guster.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Flaming Lips
    Have you heard "At War with Mystics"?

Soooo great.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    FYI...

Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Crutch, Blindside, Haste The Day, Pillar, Project 86 are all Christian bands. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious thread, nor do I even want to debate about it. Just giving some info.

Have you heard Flyleaf yet? Their debut is GREAT. The 4 songs on the EP were much better, because they toned down the lead singers (female) screaming for the actual album.

I like alot of those bands, not all. I really like Breaking Benjamin. Some would say they are too "pop", but I really like both albums so far.
    A lot of the bands I listed were on Tooth and Nail or Solid State Records. You don't have to be a "christian band" to be on those labels, but there are quite a few. I was waiting on somebody to bring up Flyleaf. Definately different than what most people are used to. I like to listen to them every now and then, but I think that they will eventually lean too much on the fact that their lead singer is a woman that can scream, or turn away from the screaming to sell more CDs. Not saying they aren't or can't be good enough to sell a lot of CDs in the future, we'll see what happens.

I was looking over what I originally posted, and I forgot two of the CDs that are coming out this spring/summer that I am the most excited about. Taking Back Sunday relases their new CD Louder Now later this month, and Thursday realeases their new CD in May. Just some thoughts.

Also, if there are any Blink 182 fans out there, you might want to check out the band that Tom DeLonge started called Angels & Airwaves. They release a CD later this year, and their new song "The Adventure" is creating a lot of buzz. Not my cup of tea, but somebody might like it. Of course being a drummer, I always liked watching Travis Barker. Crazy stuff.

I saw somebody else likes In Flames, what do you think of "Come Clarity?" I like the changes from electronics just to mix things up. Don't get me wrong, I loved the older stuff, but I like to see bands try something different from time to time.

I really can't push this Kelley Stoltz guy any harder.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Have you heard "At War with Mystics"?

Soooo great.
    I'm pretty tepid on "At War with the Mystics"

It's ok. Not my favorite by far.
    School's out. What did you expect?

To many to list so i'll just post what i own on C.D. to give you a idea of what i listen to
    http://rateyourmusic.com/user_albums..._type_is_owned

They call me "chef"

According to critics At War with the Mystics is a step backwards for the band, but considering how highly regarded their last handful of albums have been, that isn't necessarily the biggest insult.

Today I recieved the new Saves the Day record in the mail. It is superior to In Reverie entertainment wise, and there are a handful of tracks which are among their best yet, but it is very uneven. It's basically a big re-birth for the band, from the Weezer/Beatles/pop niche of In Reverie into a more accessible and far more enjoyable 'pop punk' sound. I'd be very interested to hear what their next album would sound like if they continued to explore this direction and trimmed some of the unecessary fat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    According to critics At War with the Mystics is a step backwards for the band, but considering how highly regarded their last handful of albums have been, that isn't necessarily the biggest insult.

Today I recieved the new Saves the Day record in the mail. It is superior to In Reverie entertainment wise, and there are a handful of tracks which are among their best yet, but it is very uneven. It's basically a big re-birth for the band, from the Weezer/Beatles/pop niche of In Reverie into a more accessible and far more enjoyable 'pop punk' sound. I'd be very interested to hear what their next album would sound like if they continued to explore this direction and trimmed some of the unecessary fat.
    True about the lips it'll be all down hill The Soft Bulletin. That's just the way it is.

I'll ahve to check out saves the day.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11

As far as newer popish stuff, )

Yeah, they've not been the same since the Gunpowder Plot and the reign of James II.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?