Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ever had that odd hankering to do battle w/ Curt Schilling?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Ever had that odd hankering to do battle w/ Curt Schilling?

I knew Schilling did the whole SOSH thing -- but, I never knew the extent of his dorkiness. I eagerly await comment from the recently Re-Dorkified Pedro:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/709/709824p1.html
    May 23, 2006 - Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling has gone where few jocks have gone before: EverQuest II. The veteran baseball player has found a home for his gamer side in the world of Norrath in Sony Online Entertainment's MMO sequel and plays often with his son. Now he's teaming up with the game's developer and publisher for a good cause.

During the Red Sox vs. Yankees series on June 5, 6, and 7th, a belligerent bad guy named Curt Schilling will appear in game to challenge all comers that check out the free trial. Every time a player manages to bean Curt Shilling and knock him out of the game, Sony Online Entertainment will donate $5 (up to $10,000) to the ALS Association which was founded to help spearhead the fight against amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which is commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Every year 5,600 patients are newly diagnosed the U.S. alone.

"ALS is about as devastating a disease as you can imagine," says Schilling. "It's relentless, ruthless, and devastates entire families as one member slowly perishes. With video games exploding in popularity, I can't think of a better place to reach the masses to raise awareness."

During the three day perios, anyone can register for and log into the EverQuest II trial at www.battleals.com to challenge the evil Schilling character aptly named "Curt Schilling." Shilling's son Gehrig will be among the first at the beginning of the event to challenge the famous athlete's cyber counterpart. In order to keep the good vibes flowing, Sony Online will also encourage the many EQ2 regulars to type /ALS and donate on their own to the ALS Association for the three day event period.

Regular EverQuest II players (especially those with Yankee ties) will also be able to enjoy beating the crap out of the player long after the weekend ends as the character will remain as a high powered enemy (though with a different name to stay in theme with the game) that players will eventually need to square off against later in the game.

Those unfamiliar with EverQuest II should take a look at our EverQuest II page where info about all of the game's many aspects can be found. Schilling is one of many thousands that immerse themselves into the massively multiplayer RPG every day.

"I enjoy the anonymity and the ability to interact on a personal level with people I wouldn't normally meet or know," Schilling said. "That, and the game is a riot. There's no end to it, the world is enormous, the possibilities are endless, and above all else, it's a place to go and relax amongst friends. What I can't get enough of is your ability to interact with real live people. The game's about teamwork, and knowing the right way to pick and play your class properly in such a way that it complements a group. That's why EverQuest has stayed so popular."

So remember to get in the game and hunt down the famous pitcher's evil doppelganger in EverQuest II on June 5, 6, and 7th and help with the fight against Lou Gehrig's Disease all at the same time.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ever had that odd hankering to do battle w/ Curt Schilling?

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/...message.id=300
    CURT SCHILLING GOES FROM PITCHING WIZARD TO VIRTUAL WIZARD
    World Series Champion and MVP Pitcher
    Signs Endorsement Deal With Sony Online Entertainment
    SAN DIEGO, CA – March 16, 2006 – Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a global leader in the online video games industry, today announced an endorsement deal with Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling. The World Series MVP is an avid player of the online game EverQuest® II and is also a long-time fan of its precursor EverQuest®, both SOE online games. The sponsorship will include personal appearances, media tours and opportunities for fans of both games to meet Schilling.
    “I’m excited about this partnership with Sony Online,” said Schilling. “I’ve been playing video games a long time. I’ve been a fan of Sony Online since the first time I logged into the original EverQuest. That passion has only increased since the launch of EverQuest II.”
    Schilling may be one of today’s top athletes in professional baseball, but off the field he plays a unique character in the award-winning Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) video game EverQuest II, a fully realized 3D fantasy world of mythical creatures, magic spells, majestic landscapes, and fierce dragons.
    “EverQuest II provides me an opportunity to remain in touch with my family during the incredible travel schedule a major league baseball season,” Schilling said. “One of the greatest elements of EverQuest II is that I can play when I’m on the road. My son Gehrig and I play together when I’m not working and he’s not in school.”
    EverQuest II offers players a huge online world where thousands of players come together for shared adventure and community. This online game sets the standard for graphical realism, as players are immersed in the game’s exciting locales and dangerous lands. EverQuest II has a powerful epic storyline and gives players the potential to be hero or villain in a world that never ends.
    “I enjoy the anonymity and the ability to interact on a personal level with people I wouldn't normally meet or know,” Schilling said. “That, and the game is a riot. There's no end to it, the world is enormous, the possibilities are endless, and above all else, it's a place to go and relax amongst friends. What I can't get enough of is your ability to interact with real live people. The game's about teamwork, and knowing the right way to pick and play your class properly in such a way that it complements a group. That's why EverQuest has stayed so popular.”
    The 39-year-old baseball superstar has been a long time fan of SOE games, even contributing game reviews of expansion packs to gaming magazines, and is an avid web communicator, feeling this is the best way to connect with the video game fans.
    His next role as SOE spokesman and EverQuest II devotee is to immerse his characters in the new Kingdom of Sky expansion, leading his guild on quests, raids and exploration of the Overrealms. Schilling is planning on attending the Sony Fan Faire Convention in Atlanta,
    April 6 – 8, 2006, where he will give media interviews and get a tour of the game’s newest features.

Turn Off Ads?