Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music

Re: Music

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie_Free
    I'd say the same about Wilco. Basically, Jeff Tweedy is the man.
    Id say your right for the most part about that statement about tweedy but personally i really think tweedy could use a guy like JAY FARRAR his co song writer in uncle tupelo. Im a big wilco fan but personally i think tweedy and crew have steadly gone down hill after BEING THERE. or basically after they started to really drift away from the ALT. country sound. I mean c'mon have you heard SUMMERTEATH thats a cure for insomnia.Cant say much for Farrar's project SON VOLT as ive only heard there debut which owed a whole lot to neil young harvest era.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    Tuesday May 23... The day that The Classic Crime releases their Debut on Tooth and Nail Records, Albatross. I love this band. For anyone interested, here is their album site. If you haven't heard them, I would highly suggest them. The album site has about 5 songs. I really like The Coldest Heart and Who Needs Air. They continue to amaze me. If there was one band I would say was poised to break out, they could be it. If anyone has thoughts on them, please share them, good or bad.
    The only band on Tooth and Nail right now that interests me is Mewithoutyou. IMO Tooth and Nail is part of a huge myriad of labels that are supporting, producing, and encouraging really bad emo music which, alongside bad ska and bad nu-metal, is some of the worst rock oriented music in existence. There are too many kid bands getting deals and putting out sub-par, generic albums.

Although I started out in the emo/punk genre, I've been getting my music fix from more indie and pop artists the past handful of years. Stuff like Belle & Sebastian, John Vanderslice, Nada Surf, Kind of Like Spitting, Baby Dayliner, The National etc. etc. There is more diversity and experimentation in the independent rock world.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

My music tastes swing wildly depending on what mood I'm in. I've been on a real "Dave Matthews Band" kick lately -- I still think Before These Crowded Streets would be my one "stuck on an island" CD.

Old favorites: Oasis, Jurassic 5, Dropkick Murphys, Counting Crows, Dispatch, Ben Folds Five, Flogging Molly, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Outkast, Audioslave, O.A.R., Carbon Leaf, and the immortal Wu-Tang Clan.

Eclectic -- but I've never been one to limit myself to one particular genre of music. It's how you end up with an iPod that can go from Miles Davis to Method Man on shuffle.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Ok, I'll just chime in here...like Cav Em, my tastes are very eclectic. Zeppelin, Dave Brubeck, Queen Latifah, Van Morrison, The Smithereens, Stevie Wonder, Hellogoodbye, India Arie, Diana Krall, and of course Elvis (the one with the glasses). The only 2 bands I'd currently recommend that haven't beeen mentioned are Gnarls Barkley and Bottlefly. Gnarls is a collaboration between Cee-Lo Green's lyrics and DJ Danger Mouse's production ... Danger Mouse did the Gorillaz album. Bottlefly is a happy, if slightly thin, sound...they could use a little better production, but listen to the song Umbrella a couple times and I'll guarantee you'll be singing it later in the day.
    Enjoy!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000
    Id say your right for the most part about that statement about tweedy but personally i really think tweedy could use a guy like JAY FARRAR his co song writer in uncle tupelo. Im a big wilco fan but personally i think tweedy and crew have steadly gone down hill after BEING THERE. or basically after they started to really drift away from the ALT. country sound. I mean c'mon have you heard SUMMERTEATH thats a cure for insomnia.Cant say much for Farrar's project SON VOLT as ive only heard there debut which owed a whole lot to neil young harvest era.
    I love all of Wilco and I'm a big Tupelo fan too, but no... please keep them apart. Jay is a bore, pretentious and affected, plus he treated Tweedy like crap and deserves what he gets now. But he can sing some good stuff now and then.

Tweedy is the Neil Young of our generation, but I can see where you might not like the stuff since Being There.

Me? I love it to death, my wife ....not so much.

You wanna know the album that I realize every five years or so is the most underrated album ever?

"New Values" Iggy Pop

Pop, delicious pop.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm a big fan of singer/songwriters. My favorites are John Mayer, Jason Mraz, James Blunt, Jack Johnson, Teddy Geiger, Howie Day, Gavin DeGraw, and Rob Thomas.

I also like some bands too. I love listening to Coldplay, Maroon 5, U2, Hoobastank, etc.

And when I get bored of listening to rock, I'll could listen to Bob Marley all day long.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    Out of the whole hardcore/emo genre, mewithoutyou is probably one of the better bands as far as originality and sustainability go. I used to listen to a lot of the bands you mentioned but I have branched out in the past 3-4 years towards older rock and more 'indie' oriented music. Right now my favorite artists are the National, Kind of Like Spitting, John Vanderslice, Baby Dayliner, Nada Surf, and Belle & Sebastian.

You might be interested in checking my website out, www.invisiblelimb.net.
    Heckuva list, there. I assume you like Barsuk Records stuff pretty well?

The National's last record was my favorite of 2005. Mix Joy Division and older U2 with some Afghan Whigs subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    The only band on Tooth and Nail right now that interests me is Mewithoutyou. IMO Tooth and Nail is part of a huge myriad of labels that are supporting, producing, and encouraging really bad emo music which, alongside bad ska and bad nu-metal, is some of the worst rock oriented music in existence. There are too many kid bands getting deals and putting out sub-par, generic albums.

Although I started out in the emo/punk genre, I've been getting my music fix from more indie and pop artists the past handful of years. Stuff like Belle & Sebastian, John Vanderslice, Nada Surf, Kind of Like Spitting, Baby Dayliner, The National etc. etc. There is more diversity and experimentation in the independent rock world.

For the most part, I agree that most artist on Tooth and Nail are generic. But there are a few artists who are original, and put out solid albums. Underoath is probably the one that pops into my mind first. But the Classic Crime is anything but generic. Also, Emery, Project 86, Showbread, and Mae all have their own sound that, even though might be influence by other bands, is completely their own and continue to put out good albums. To condemn all bands on a lable because of the others is crazy. You can't look at them as a whole. They are seperate bands with different music. Generic music has and will always be around. Thats just a fact of life, and why not, people will listen to it. Not us, but someone does, otherwise it wouldn't be so prominent. Kinda funny though... many of those ska bands send non-conformist messages, but conform to a genre of music.

But, I'd have to agree that Independent Artists put out better albums, but they have to if they want to have any success. I like some Indie, but for the most part, its not my cup of tea.

I've been listening to a lot of Keating and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. I think both could become big. Though the latter may be in for a TRL-kind-of-big.

Also listening to a ton of Alkaline Trio, who I saw in concert a few weeks ago. They were AMAZING.

Others ... Panic! At the Disco (I can't help it!), Circa Survive, Dredg, Muse, Hawthorne Heights, The Audition, Motion City Soundtrack, Aiden, Matchbook Romance, Emberghost, Alexisonfire, and of course 30 Seconds to Mars.

Two bands I've seen live recently that put on great shows: Hellogoodbye, and Men Women & Children. Neither are exactly the kind of music I gravitate toward, but both were hilarious live. In a good way.

Agreed on The National being a great band. One of the cool things about them is that most or all of the band was born and raised in Cincinnati.

Turn Off Ads?