Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With a move or two, we can contend

Re: With a move or two, we can contend

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Looking at this bullpen make-up makes me long for the days of Scott Sullivan.

What a guy. What a pitcher. Man was he solid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

After 6 games the 47 runs allowed is 2nd worse total in modern team history (52 in 1962) The total runs scored after 6 games is 4th (51 1976, 44 1922, 50 1904)

That's one leaky pitching staff.
    Last edited by westofyou; 04-10-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    After 6 games the 47 runs allowed is 2nd worse total in modern team history (52 in 1961) The total runs scored after 6 games is 4th (51 1976, 44 1922, 50 1904)

That's one leaky pitching staff.
    On the bright side, the '61 staff rebounded with aplomb.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    On the bright side, the '61 staff rebounded with aplomb.
    Whoops typo... that's 1962

Speaking of the '61 team. My dad is a big fan of this sequence of moves:
    Code:
    Traded Roy McMillan to the Milwaukee Braves. Received Joey Jay and Juan Pizarro.

Traded Juan Pizarro and Cal McLish to the Chicago White Sox. Received Gene Freese.

Speaking of the '61 team. My dad is a big fan of this sequence of moves:
    Yep, the new GM doesn't have the relationship ties with all the players and often it takes that to turn over a stagnant roster.

Freese was a great P/U, but broke his ankle the following year, I've also heard he was not the best teammate to have.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Whoops typo... that's 1962
    Pretty good rebound that year too. Bob Purkey should have had himself a Cy Young that season.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Right now we really have no idea if Krivsky is in win now and try to build for next year or if he is willing to punt this season. His next few moves should answer the question.
    I think we'll see some fence-straddling. I'd be seriously surprised if Krivsky really believes we're a serious contender, and mildly surprised if Castellini does, but I also don't believe he bought the team not intending to try. So I think Krivsky will do what he can as long as it doesn't leave the 2007 Reds worse off, and we'll punt when it's fourth down but not before.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I think we'll see some fence-straddling. I'd be seriously surprised if Krivsky really believes we're a serious contender, and mildly surprised if Castellini does, but I also don't believe he bought the team not intending to try. So I think Krivsky will do what he can as long as it doesn't leave the 2007 Reds worse off, and we'll punt when it's fourth down but not before.
    I'd say that's exactly right. Though don't expect any trick plays either. I figure Krivsky will play it straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    This sounds about right to me.

The Reds can put a pretty nice starting 8 on the field, but after that it get shakey real fast. Paper-thin bench, a gas can bullpen, and a wing and a prayer for starters. One of them will ultimately prove fatal.

I've got no problem with a constant shuttle between Louisville and Cincinnati, letting go of the vets that suppposedly were to bolster the staff, dumpster diving off the waiver wire, etc. etc. Valuable parts will start to show themselves.

But Mr. Krivsky, please don't get all stupid and burn precious and valuable collateral on pyrite chasing.

Pay attention to the open sky

Man Pills

The only real cardinal sins this front office could commit would be to hunt prospects exclusively (no matter how hyped) and not be psychotically aggressive.

All the other stuff will work itself out, even the other mistakes. If you jealously guard ALL of your commodities, you'll probably get back, on average, .50 on the dollar for each or at best break even. I'd rather go with the philosophy that nets us $3.00 on the dollar in one trade and .20 on the dollar in another.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Overeraction? No, not at all. I never said Krivsky should have the mess that is currently the Reds cleaned up in three months or even a year. But if he ignores the bigger problems on this team, namely defense and starting pitching, and begins trading away what few resources he has to fix the bullpen, he should be relieved of his duties quickly. Fixing the bullpen first isn't going to help this team contend in '06 and beyond.
    Good Post Reds Nd2, I agree 100%.

You said it much better than I ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    Good Post Reds Nd2, I agree 100%.

You said it much better than I ever could.
    Thanks Pappy. Others have said the same thing much better than I could ever hope to though.

Can you believe there are still people at Reds.com who think Griffey is still an adequate CF? It just makes my head hurt!
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Yes I can.

Lots of very strange ideas on that board IMO.

Reds.com is where the banana phone gets its material
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?