Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds @ Cubs Series Preview

Reds @ Cubs Series Preview

Coming off a 4-2 homestand to open the season, the Reds begin a six-game road trip Tuesday against the Cubs at Wrigley Field.
    The Reds were 6-3 last season at Wrigley Field, including victories in five of the last six meetings there.

"I'm looking gorward to it," Reds manager Jerry Narron said of the trip. "We're playing two very good ballclubs in Chicago and St. Louis. They're outstanding."

Bronson Arroyo will make his second start for Cincinnati. For the second time in a week, Arroyo will be opposed by left-hander Glendon Rusch.

In an 8-6 victory over Chicago during his Reds debut at Great American Ball Park, Arroyo allowed five runs (three earned) on six hits. The right-hander did not walk a batter and struck out seven. Of the 26 batters he faced, Arroyo threw 21 first-pitch strikes. He also hit the first homer of his career in his first at-bat.

Pitching matchup
    CIN: RHP Bronson Arroyo (1-0, 4.05 ERA)
    The right-hander is 1-3 with a 5.84 ERA in six games lifetime against Chicago. He's 0-2 with a 7.50 ERA at Wrigley.

CHC: LHP Glendon Rusch (0-1, 9.00 ERA)
    Gave up four earned runs and six hits over four innings in April 5 loss to the Reds.

Player to watch
    Right fielder Austin Kearns has hits in five of his first six games for the Reds.

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • none

On radio
    • WLW 700-AM

Up next
    • Wed: Reds (LHP Brandon Claussen, 0-0, 5.40 ERA) at Cubs (RHP Greg Maddux, 1-0, 1.42 ERA) 2:20 p.m. ET
    • Thu: Reds (LHP Eric Milton, 1-0, 2.57 ERA) at Cubs (RHP Carlos Zambrano, 0-0, 4.42 ERA) 2:20 p.m. ET

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Reds @ Cubs Series Preview

This is going to be a very telling series for the Reds. The Cubs are coming off a sweep of St. Louis and are probably on cloud nine confidence wise. It would say a whole lot if the Reds were able to derail them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    This is going to be a very telling series for the Reds. The Cubs are coming off a sweep of St. Louis and are probably on cloud nine confidence wise. It would say a whole lot if the Reds were able to derail them.
    Big week for us. @ Cubs and @ Cards. Could be a "statement" week. Although it is still really early.

3 up and 3 downs on the road trip wouldn't be bad... but i dont wany anything below that.

4 and 2 would be mighty fine again.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I don't think there is a such thing as a statement series in the second week of April. That said, I would LOVE nothing more than to sweep the baby bears this week.

I Still Miss Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    I don't think there is a such thing as a statement series in the second week of April. That said, I would LOVE nothing more than to sweep the baby bears this week.
    I would rather sweep the Cardinals than the Cubs. My home area is swarming with Cardinal fans, most of whom act like they invented the game of baseball. I would like nothing more than to go into their beautiful new ballpark and leave footprints all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerRed
    I would rather sweep the Cardinals than the Cubs. My home area is swarming with Cardinal fans, most of whom act like they invented the game of baseball. I would like nothing more than to go into their beautiful new ballpark and leave footprints all over it.
    Aw hell, lets just sweep em both.

I Still Miss Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    Aw hell, lets just sweep em both.
    Works for me.

My Monthly Goal for the Reds is:

26 Games:

17-9

Anything Above that is Great!!!!!!!

Now id settle for 16-10, 15-11 maybe...

But just think. If we Avg 15 Wins a month that is 90 WINS!!
    And a final record of 90-72

A 14 Win avg. Per Month is 84 WINS!!!
    And a final record of 84-78

So after a month. We'll see where we stand I figure every Win ABOVE 14 wins in a month is one step closer to achieving that ABOVE .500 Record that we all LONG for.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Every game played should be played like it is a "statement" game.

How one plays in the early stages of the season can come back to haunt you in the latter stages.

Wrigley Field is an offensive juggernaut.

And seeing how this BP has performed coming out of the gate.... that should scare alot of us.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Wrigley Field is an offensive juggernaut.
    Pujols might argue with that from Friday. At Wrigley you never know which way the wind is going to blow. On the days it is coming in you can still hit homers they just can't get above 20 ft in the air. I have been to quite a few games were normal moonshots have turned into routine fly balls.

I will be there on Thursday and am hoping for a 20 mph breeze going in for Milton's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    Pujols might argue with that from Friday. At Wrigley you never know which way the wind is going to blow. On the days it is coming in you can still hit homers they just can't get above 20 ft in the air. I have been to quite a few games were normal moonshots have turned into routine fly balls.

I will be there on Thursday and am hoping for a 20 mph breeze going in for Milton's sake.
    Even when the wind is as still as a Zen master, it's a neutral park.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

By the time the Reds play at Wrigley on Tuesday, the Cubs will have had three days off since Opening Day a week ago and have been settled in Chicago since last Wednesday night or Thursday. Can somebody tell me what genius did this scheduling?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Poor Pirates have 17 straight days... Do they have a dos application that generates schedules?

"I'm looking gorward to it," Reds manager Jerry Narron said of the trip.
    I like the proofreaders at MLB.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?