Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larkin's uniform number up for grabs

Larkin's uniform number up for grabs

I had assumed that Larkin's # 11, like Reds uniform numbers 13 and 14, was in unofficial retirement, pending an eventual ceremony.
    That's apparently not the case, according to a McCoy DDN article Monday.

By Hal McCoy
    Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Brandon Phillips always wore No. 7 on his back, but the Cincinnati Reds' latest infield coach Bucky Dent wears tha[/B]t numeral, causing general manager Wayne Krivsky to tell Dent, "There might be a Rolex watch in your future if Phillips really wants that number from you."

Knowing that Barry Larkin was Phillips' favorite player, Krivsky offered him Larkin's old No. 11, but Phillips said, "No, he's my man. I can't wear his number.'"

Phillips, the club's most recent infield acquisition and a guy of whom scouts have compared to former Cincinnati infielder Pokey Reese, settled for No. 4 and on Sunday morning was settling into his clubhouse dressing stall.

"I heard Cincinnati was a team that might trade for me and that's nice because my favorite player growing up was Barry Larkin so it is nice to be on the same team he played for," said Phillips. "The first Braves game I ever went to he played shortstop for the Reds and made a lot of great plays. I've liked him ever since and always kept up with him."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Larkin's uniform number up for grabs

if i could use fowl language on this board this is where id do it :thumbdown

If Krivsky was a member at Redszone, I'd negg him.

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh
    if i could use fowl language on this board this is where id do it :thumbdown
    Feel free to talk about birds all you want. You can even do so as it relates to baseball, referring to such mascots as Blue Jays and Orioles. I don't think there is a rule against it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I've never understood why people get all worked up over who wears what number.

You'll always remember Larkin's time as a Red. Why does another player wearing that number disgrace his legacy? 11 is just a number after all.

Yeah, blah blah blah honoring the player, I get that. There are a lot of ways you can honor former players.

If Larkin's is up for grabs then EVERY number should be up for grabs.
    Go Gators!

IMO if Eric Davis' number is taken the why not Larkin, both are Reds Hall of Famers. Barry should be a MLB Hall of Famer, maybe not first ballot,

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Not once they have been retired.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I agree completely. Since they've set aside the ones they have, then #11 should be put off-limits until such time that it can be officially retired. Someone needs to pull Krivsky aside on this one.

La Dolce Vita

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........
    teach tolerance.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I agree completely. Since they've set aside the ones they have, then #11 should be put off-limits until such time that it can be officially retired. Someone needs to pull Krivsky aside on this one.

Let it be officially retired, then nobody can wear it.

I'm sure the only reason this hasnt happened sooner is that the players have respect for Larkin.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think we are forgetting who wrote the story. Hal likes to juice up a story.

I do not believe it for one moment. But Joe Morgan's 8 was worn for a few years. I believe Bo Diaz wore it for a year before going to 6.

I do not believe 13, or 14 has been used with the exception of Pete Jr. wearing it. 15 is being used this year.

Soto's 36 has been worn and I think that number should be rested. Tom Seaver's 41 has been worn also.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Disregard of history if u ask me

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I've never understood why people get all worked up over who wears what number.

You'll always remember Larkin's time as a Red. Why does another player wearing that number disgrace his legacy? 11 is just a number after all.

Yeah, blah blah blah honoring the player, I get that. There are a lot of ways you can honor former players.
    I could not agree more. If you want to make a number special, then pass it down like a tradition. Otherwise its just a number on a back.

Retiring a number is a traditional honor in baseball. Some might not see the significance, but many do understand that it is a way of honoring and remembering the exploits of a former hero. Obviously, it isn't important to some fans, but it is to others.

I was disappointed they gave Casey's #21 away this season. Though I wouldn't have retired it, I would have waited a year before assigning it again. I remember the Reds gave Dick Simpson #20 after Frank Robinson was traded and that really bothered me. Also, Bobby Tolan was given Vada Pinson's #28 right after the trade.

To me, part of baseball's appeal is the recognition of its tradition by the fans. Cincinnati stands apart from many clubs because of its rich tradition of being the first professional franchise and for being "the dynasty of the '70's". I wish the front office would retire #11.

Turn Off Ads?