Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the rules of uniforms

On the rules of uniforms

Hey, it's an off-day.

So I don't know how you guys spend your rocking Sunday nights, but over here we like to comb through the more obscure points of the Official Rules of Major League Baseball. Reading through the uniform rules, this one caught my eye:

1.11 (e) No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball.

That's it, that's the rule, it has its own separate point and everything. I like to play very close attention to baseball uniforms, and I was utterly unaware of this. Did you guys know about this? I have a couple of questions on this. First of all, why? Do they think people will get confused by a baseball printed or embroidered on a uniform? And secondly, don't the Reds have Mr. Red flitting about their sleeves these days? The rule specifically says no part of the uniform, thus including sleeves, and Mr. Red's head pretty much unquestionably suggests a baseball.

Ho-hum.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: On the rules of uniforms

hope we wear our current uniforms for the next 20 years. They are sweet.

The Brewers have also had a baseball portrayed on their uniforms (the M and B in the shape of a baseball and glove). I know it was on their hats during the '80s, at least.
    The Dodgers had the baseball flying into the air on their unform fronts (i think) during the '70s.
    Pretty sure the Padres in the '70s and '80s had a baseball in the "p".
    These are off the top of my head - and potentially incorrect (: ) - but this is all i can think of right now.
    Interesting find, Vatican. Seems a few teams are not complying.

The Phillies "P" that preceded the current one had a baseball inside it.

On the topic of uniforms, but not the topic we are discussing right now, I think it is ridiculous that you can't change a uniform in consecutive years. Not sure if that explains it correctly, but if you make a change to a uniform, you can not change it again the following year. Hence the no names on the back of the Dodgers uni debacle continues. Not that I care I know who players are, as most true fans should but the fans in LA are in a continued uproar about it.

The choice of no names on the uniforms (which was instituted and is still observed by the Yankees) is one for which I have always been strongly in favor. The idea behind it is that they are part of a team and thus shouldn't need more than numbers to identify them.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    The choice of no names on the uniforms (which was instituted and is still observed by the Yankees) is one for which I have always been strongly in favor. The idea behind it is that they are part of a team and thus shouldn't need more than numbers to identify them.
    That's a nice "no I in team" bit for kids and all, but major league baseball is an entertainment product and we do care who the players are. It's fan-friendly (especially in the TV age) to tell who a player is without having to buy a program or look up a roster. Now, I don't need the help for the Reds, but there's another team on the field whose roster I don't know by heart.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I'd love for the Reds uniforms to have the old school, Mr. Red head with the terrible mustache on the front of the uniform.

Haunted by walks

The Reds have been wearing the modern Mr. Red on their sleeves in recent years, but not on the new "skins" sleeves, I don't think. Billy Martin would have waited until after a walk-off homer and then protested to the umps.

The idea behind it is that they are part of a team and thus shouldn't need more than numbers to identify them.
    Maybe, the original idea was that the numbers represented where they batted in the order too, that worked out well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Maybe, the original idea was that the numbers represented where they batted in the order too, that worked out well for them.
    Oh yeah I think that's true, I forgot about that.

Who was the first team to put names on? I used to know this.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    It would cut down on the lineup shuffling by overactive managers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    I'd love for the Reds uniforms to have the old school, Mr. Red head with the terrible mustache on the front of the uniform.
    Terrible mustache? I've hoped for that mustache to come back for years. He speaks so greatly to the Red Stockings heritage of this team and I agree with the earlier poster who said they should bring it back. It's a classic!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Oh yeah I think that's true, I forgot about that.

Who was the first team to put names on? I used to know this.
    » March 13, 1960: The White Sox unveil new road uniforms with the players' names above the number on the back, another innovation by Bill Veeck.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Terrible mustache? I've hoped for that mustache to come back for years. He speaks so greatly to the Red Stockings heritage of this team and I agree with the earlier poster who said they should bring it back. It's a classic!

Turn Off Ads?