Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the rules of uniforms

Re: On the rules of uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Oh man I love it! On home turf everything is calm and clean, but at away games they bring out Mr. Red to scare the other team! Even the stripes on the socks are bolder and scarier!

A+ 1956 Reds.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

The other team just has to remember to swing at the ball that doesn't have the mustache.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Terrible mustache? I've hoped for that mustache to come back for years. He speaks so greatly to the Red Stockings heritage of this team and I agree with the earlier poster who said they should bring it back. It's a classic!
    Its also putrid. But to each their own

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Count me as one that likes those plain white home unis (no pinstripes) with red numbers and letters.

And the all red hat and helmet. No more of this black bill thing, especially on the helmet.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I was aware of the rule. In 1989 or so I was doing a marketing report where I chose to attempt to revive the struggling Montreal Expos. Part of my plan was remaking the uniforms and logo. Somehow, I stumbled upon that rule and dumped my design that had a baseball in it.

Of course the professor would never have known, but I felt dirty turning it in so I changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    The choice of no names on the uniforms (which was instituted and is still observed by the Yankees) is one for which I have always been strongly in favor. The idea behind it is that they are part of a team and thus shouldn't need more than numbers to identify them.
    It wasn't instituted by the Yankees. In the very beginning, uniforms did not have numbers or names. Baseball teams begin using numbers to identify the players by way of the batting order, then later added names. Then added the $*#@%& designated hitter. Okay, that's for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Oh yeah I think that's true, I forgot about that.

Who was the first team to put names on? I used to know this.
    1960 White Sox

Turn Off Ads?