Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips' defense

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Brandon Phillips' defense

Does anybody have access to a comprehensive reivew/report on Phillips' defense? Obviously his bat has to come around before he's viable regardless of his defense, but to what extent? If he could hit .250/.325./.400, would it make sense to have him at SS and Lopez at 2B? How does he compare to Olmedo/Bergolla/etc.?

Thinking to next year, if Dunn could transition to 1b over the course of the season, install Freel or Denorfia as the LF, slide Lopez over to 2B, and put Philliips at SS, we just improved the defense significantly. Of course all of that is predicated on Phillips learning how to hit major league pitching. But what of his defense? Simply saying he's better than our current 2B triumverate isn't saying much.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips' defense

He sure did drill a pitch into left-center yesterday. Seeing him at the plate he looked...i emphasis "looked" a lot like alfonso soriano. Hopefully he learns how to hit.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    He sure did drill a pitch into left-center yesterday. Seeing him at the plate he looked...i emphasis "looked" a lot like alfonso soriano. Hopefully he learns how to hit.
    He was once one of THE top specs in all of baseball, IIRC.

Hopefully Chambliss has some tips for him.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

got alil captain in u?

if he can hit like that and play defense like he has in the past he needs to get some playing time not over freel but over womack

his D is great. if he could hit on a regular basis he would chalenge no doubt for the second base job. with womack gone for sure next season he has a shot at the job. i just don't see the reds giving freel that job everyday even if he deserves it. being a super sub has really hurt freel.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I think he will be our starting SS next season...Lopez to 2b...EE is our 3B

Junior to RF with Denorfia and Freel...Dunn to 1B...Kearns - TRADED for pitching.

OR

EE gets traded and Kearns stays in the field with Junior and Denorfia...freel moves to 3B, Phillips at SS...Lopez at 2B and Dunn at 1B
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

EdE does not need to be traded. He is a future superstar at 3rd.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I don't see them moving Lopie to 2b, even Phillips has said he feels more of a 2B at this point. I can see him in the future at 2B. Hopefully he can get his bat going and I think his defense isn't in question.

I do like what I've heard him saying lately about just trying to get back to going with the pitch not trying to hit HR's and just being happy to be here and happy with w/e role he has for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    I don't see them moving Lopie to 2b, even Phillips has said he feels more of a 2B at this point. I can see him in the future at 2B. Hopefully he can get his bat going and I think his defense isn't in question.

I do like what I've heard him saying lately about just trying to get back to going with the pitch not trying to hit HR's and just being happy to be here and happy with w/e role he has for now.
    Lopez has mediocre range and a strong, but erratic arm. He is athletic, however. He seems like a perfect fit at 2B to me.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Lopez has mediocre range and a strong, but erratic arm. He is athletic, however. He seems like a perfect fit at 2B to me.
    I'm not disagreeing with that evaluation at all Rick, just I don't think the team will move him. Just my opinion, but I agree with your evaluation, and that it may be the best defensive formation I just don't see them making Lopie make that change.

They won't move JR so I doubt they move Lopez, no clue what they look at for judging the D.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    They won't move JR so I doubt they move Lopez, no clue what they look at for judging the D.
    I agree that they probably won't move Lopez, but I don't think you can use Junior as your explanation. Moving a 10 time gold glove winner & superstar (even if he has no business in CF now) is different than moving a young guy who has just a 1 solid (very solid) season under his belt in which he was erratic defensively.

I think this series with the Mets (at least thus far) has shown that Phillips is definitely the best defender the Reds have. The amount of (great) plays he made for this series has truly been incredible.

Is Phillips (when you consider offense/defense) the Reds MVP??

I think Dunn and BP are basically neck and neck for overall value at this point. Votto, EE, and Hairston are the next tier down.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think this series with the Mets (at least thus far) has shown that Phillips is definitely the best defender the Reds have. The amount of (great) plays he made for this series has truly been incredible.

Is Phillips (when you consider offense/defense) the Reds MVP??
    I agree that Phillips is the best defender on the Reds. Given Phillips' current VORPr, he's on a pace to have a VORP of 31 over 162 games. Play-by-play based metrics suggest he's at least a +5 defender (maybe a +10 defender on a really good year). So he's on pace to be something like a 3.5 to 4 win player. That's not elite but it's not too far away especially if a positional adjustment is considered.

He'd definitely be a Reds mvp candidate at his current pace.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?