Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Dayton...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Moving to Dayton...

I have only posted on here a couple of times, but have been reading for a few years. Anyway, my wife and I are both librarians working for New York Public Library and living in Brooklyn. I have recently accepted a position with the Dayton Metro Library and will be returning to the area where I grew up, but haven't explored outside of Englewood, where my parents live, for quite a while.

I know there are a number of people on this board that live in the area, so I thought I would ask for some advice. We are looking to find a relatively cheap and relatively safe area to rent for a year or so before we buy a house. I will be working at the main library and wouldn't want to have a commute much longer than 30 minutes or so. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Moving to Dayton...

Back when I was looking at places to move to last summer, I found a couple of fairly inexpensive places out in Beavercreek. I remember finding a sweet apartment for just under $500 a month out there, but I wanted something a little closer to UD, since I was starting grad school. West Carrollton may also fit your needs, since you can probably find a cheap place and it's close to 75 and downtown.

Of course, you could probably get a place in downtown Dayton, or the Centerville/Kettering/Oakwood area and I'm sure it will still be significantly cheaper than Brooklyn.

It is certainly true that anything will seem cheap after Brooklyn, which is a large part of why we are moving back. We are paying $1300 for a pretty small 2 br apartment and that seems to impress people around here. I am vaguely familiar with Beavercreek, but not at all with West Carollton. Is it within a half hour of downtown? I read about a few of those new loft places downtown, but they seem awfully proud of themselves and are charging rent that does not fall in line with what I hope to pay in Dayton. Also, we are looking for something relatively quiet coming from Brooklyn and working in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan
    It is certainly true that anything will seem cheap after Brooklyn, which is a large part of why we are moving back. We are paying $1300 for a pretty small 2 br apartment and that seems to impress people around here.
    Total side note, but I moved to Chicago from Brooklyn, and that is amazing. What part of brooklyn do you live in?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

We just moved to the Dayton area last summer, and we're currently renting in Miami Township (Miamisburg address). Unfortunately, I can't recommend our apartment...First, it's been an awful experience living there, secondly, it might be a little out of your way. Fortunately, we'll closing on our house soon.

I can't say, in our experience, we've found a whole lot of nice apartments to rent in the area, though we've looked only in the Miamisburg, Centerville, Springboro areas.

There is a nice apartment complex down 741, called Austin Springs, which is fairly new, though the rent is a bit more pricey. However, compared to New York, I would imagine most rent in the Dayton area is going to be reasonable.

For a Level Playing Field

[QUOTE]I am vaguely familiar with Beavercreek, but not at all with West Carollton. Is it within a half hour of downtown?[ /QUOTE]

West Carrollton (right by the Dayton Mall) is about the same distance from downtown as Englewood... West Carrollton being south, Englewood being north of downtown.

You can find some decent places in Kettering too (lots of apartments and house rentals). Kettering is only 5 miles or less from downtown (just south of downtown and east of Beavercreek). I'd recommend that you and your wife give a look at places in Kettering before making a final decision. It is not a high cost place to live and is really close to downtown... and is still a decent area. If an apartment is right at this time in your lives, Kettering also has a lot of 4-unit red-brick apartment buildings... if you do not like the large apartment complex thing.

Good luck and welcome back to the area (when the time comes for that!).

West Carrollton is right off of 75, and it's a couple exits up from the UD arena exit, so I'd say it's maybe 10-15 minutes from downtown. Definitely within a half hour. It'd probably even be under a half hour if you just took surface streets instead of the freeway. Going the opposite direction, it's about 5-10 minutes from the Dayton Mall area. I think it may be worth a look if you are just looking for a transitional place. I don't know if I'd want to live there for an extended amount of time.

The new apartments downtown seem alright, but you can find much better value outside the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    West Carrollton is right off of 75, and it's a couple exits up from the UD arena exit, so I'd say it's maybe 10-15 minutes from downtown. Definitely within a half hour. It'd probably even be under a half hour if you just took surface streets instead of the freeway. Going the opposite direction, it's about 5-10 minutes from the Dayton Mall area. I think it may be worth a look if you are just looking for a transitional place. I don't know if I'd want to live there for an extended amount of time.

The new apartments downtown seem alright, but you can find much better value outside the city.
    Exactly. West Carrollton is a good bet. Down in the neighborhood I lived in, which is right by Gibbons Road, you can find some good houses for a good price. You could be on the highway and into downtown in 10 minutes, 15-20 in rush hour.

Huber Heights probably wouldn't be a bad place to look. Should be able to find some decent value there.

This website has a search engine for real estate listing in the area. You can specify the county you are looking in.

http://realestate.daytondailynews.com/rd/home.jsp

Thanks for all the advice. What makes finding a place difficult for us is the two dogs and a cat that I have been talked into over the years. Browsing the Dayton Daily New Site, there are a lot of ridiculously cheap apartments in the area. As for the Kettering area, what is the Shroyer & Wilshire area like? I found a cheap apartment around that intersection that allows our small parade of pets. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for all the advice. What makes finding a place difficult for us is the two dogs and a cat that I have been talked into over the years. Browsing the Dayton Daily New Site, there are a lot of ridiculously cheap apartments in the area. As for the Kettering area, what is the Shroyer & Wilshire area like? I found a cheap apartment around that intersection that allows our small parade of pets. Thanks again for the advice.

Englewood is in my neck of the woods - forward me any address for apartments and I will give you a "heads-up". Just PM me with any questions. We will also have to give you a heads-up on some local restaraunts running around here.

Dayton, ain't Brooklyn - but it is NOT Mayberry. Hope you enjoy your stay in Dayton.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For a Level Playing Field

As for the Kettering area, what is the Shroyer & Wilshire area like? I found a cheap apartment around that intersection that allows our small parade of pets. Thanks again for the advice.
    That is right in the area with a lot of smaller apartment buildings (I mean a smaller complex, not individual apartment!). That would put you about 5 miles tops from the downtown library and you can easily get there using city streets. I used to live near that exact area when I first got out of college. Lived there for 5 years and never had a problem. This is the northern part of Kettering and is real close to the suburb of Oakwood. Not a bad area at all. Kind of a residential area mixed with a lot of the smaller 4-unit apartment buildings. 3-minute drive to the Univ. of Dayton campus.

Kettering is a fairly big Dayton suburb, but still has a small town feel if you will. Lots of retail stuff and eateries in Kettering, so you do not have to travel far for anything that you might need.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    That is right in the area with a lot of smaller apartment buildings (I mean a smaller complex, not individual apartment!). That would put you about 5 miles tops from the downtown library and you can easily get there using city streets. I used to live near that exact area when I first got out of college. Lived there for 5 years and never had a problem. This is the northern part of Kettering and is real close to the suburb of Oakwood. Not a bad area at all. Kind of a residential area mixed with a lot of the smaller 4-unit apartment buildings. 3-minute drive to the Univ. of Dayton campus.

Kettering is a fairly big Dayton suburb, but still has a small town feel if you will. Lots of retail stuff and eateries in Kettering, so you do not have to travel far for anything that you might need.
    Agreed. I live just down the street from there, and as far as places in the Dayton area go, it's not bad. If the place is decent and cheap, that might be a good way to go, especially if they allow pets. My apartment is a complete hole, but it fits my needs, so it's fine.

I'm a school snob, so I would only live in Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville or Oakwood. If schools don't matter, you can live pretty much anywhere and be within 30 minutes of downtown.

If you want to be closer to Cincinnati and the Reds, go south vs Englewood.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?