Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Dayton...

Re: Moving to Dayton...

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    That is right in the area with a lot of smaller apartment buildings (I mean a smaller complex, not individual apartment!). That would put you about 5 miles tops from the downtown library and you can easily get there using city streets. I used to live near that exact area when I first got out of college. Lived there for 5 years and never had a problem. This is the northern part of Kettering and is real close to the suburb of Oakwood. Not a bad area at all. Kind of a residential area mixed with a lot of the smaller 4-unit apartment buildings. 3-minute drive to the Univ. of Dayton campus.

Kettering is a fairly big Dayton suburb, but still has a small town feel if you will. Lots of retail stuff and eateries in Kettering, so you do not have to travel far for anything that you might need.
    Agreed. I live just down the street from there, and as far as places in the Dayton area go, it's not bad. If the place is decent and cheap, that might be a good way to go, especially if they allow pets. My apartment is a complete hole, but it fits my needs, so it's fine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've got a pretty nice apartment in downtown Miamisburg. Two story, two bedroom apartment for $450 a month, all utilities included except for electricity, which doesn't run too bad. I can see the police station from my window, so there isn't a crime problem here at all, only problem is the sirens that occassionally pass by. It is easily within 30 minutes of downtown Dayton, and 45 minutes from Cincinnati.

My landlord does allow pets, but there is a one time $500 pet deposit. He owns several buildings down here, and is a respected lawyer in the area.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you his phone number.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I miss Brooklyn terribly, but I'm probably in a different situation than you because I left most of my life there. It's going to be a big adjustment for you, not only being in a smaller city, the flavor and general culture of it, but the little day-to-day things like getting used to driving and not having your ethnic bodegas with good produce on every corner and not being able to get good pizza at three in the morning. and even other things unrelated to food. What I miss most is the constant pressure and energy and the forced interaction with people. Chicago is big, of course, but I still don't have to deal with people in the same way here. I love the fact that you have to deal head-on with 50,000 people a day in New York, that it's impossible to be isolated. Which, for all of the crap people give New Yorkers about having short fuses, I think actually makes them incredibly empathetic. That's an adjustment. Once you move, you can feasibly get in your car, go to work, get in your car, go home, and have dealt with ten people tops. It's very different.
    I will probably miss Brooklyn in all the ways you mentioned, but right now I would kill for a day where I don't have to deal with 50,000 people. This morning on the train I sat next to a rather large man popping hard-boiled eggs like they were M&M's, and as I was waiting to cross the street on my way to work, another man told me that they used to call him Jesus Christ, but I could call him Hank. There are many things I will miss about Brooklyn, but at the moment it doesn't feel that way. I will just have to bring plenty of Gorilla Coffee and a few of Junior's cheesecakes with me.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    you have to deal head-on with 50,000 people a day in New York, that it's impossible to be isolated.
    diffrent strokes i guess b\c that sounds like living hell to me

Quote Originally Posted by WomackRULZZZ250
    diffrent strokes i guess b\c that sounds like living hell to me
    Yeah, so different strokes; was that comment really necessary?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    West Carrollton is right off of 75, and it's a couple exits up from the UD arena exit, so I'd say it's maybe 10-15 minutes from downtown. Definitely within a half hour. It'd probably even be under a half hour if you just took surface streets instead of the freeway. Going the opposite direction, it's about 5-10 minutes from the Dayton Mall area. I think it may be worth a look if you are just looking for a transitional place. I don't know if I'd want to live there for an extended amount of time.

The new apartments downtown seem alright, but you can find much better value outside the city.
    Exactly. West Carrollton is a good bet. Down in the neighborhood I lived in, which is right by Gibbons Road, you can find some good houses for a good price. You could be on the highway and into downtown in 10 minutes, 15-20 in rush hour.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Yeah, so different strokes; was that comment really necessary?
    You say you liked it, he said he didn't ... whats the difference?

For what its worth, if I had to deal with 50,000 people a day, I'd have to go all 3 stooges on roughly 49,950 of them.

GL

/can't pry me away from the slow life of small town Ohio

Turn Off Ads?