Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N.C. State in serious negotiations with Memphis' Calipari

N.C. State in serious negotiations with Memphis' Calipari

What does everyone think of this move?

N.C. State in serious negotiations with Memphis' Calipari

Just when it was starting to slow down, the coaching carousel has picked up its biggest name yet: John Calipari.

Calipari, the Memphis coach, is in serious negotiations with North Carolina State about becoming its next coach, according to a source close to the Wolfpack. N.C. State athletics director Lee Fowler flew into Memphis on Sunday on Wolfpack booster Wendell Murphy's private plane. An offer is on the table, the N.C. State source said.

If Memphis loses Calipari, it appears Memphis will have only itself to blame. Two weeks ago, Calipari told the Memphis Commercial Appeal he didn't want to leave the Tigers. Although Missouri and Indiana were making back-channel inquiries -- Missouri was preparing to make an offer in the $1.7 million range -- Calipari didn't want to face a choice. He wanted, he told that newspaper, to have Memphis do the right thing.

"They've always been more than fair to me, so I don't expect anything other than that (Memphis) is going to be more than fair," he told the paper. "I want to be the coach here. I think they want me to be the coach here. Let's just go."

Instead, after Calipari led the Tigers to one of the best seasons in program history -- 33 wins, a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, a spot in the Elite Eight -- Memphis offered Calipari a roughly 5 percent raise from his base salary of $1.035 million.

Now with N.C. State in the picture, Memphis will have to pay at least $1.5 million annually to match N.C. State's offer. The Wolfpack source didn't know what Memphis was trying to do for Calipari, but made it clear that Murphy -- the N.C. State booster -- was going to do what he could to get Calipari to Raleigh.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Calipari

N.C. State has often run a shady program, so Calipari should be a great fit.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Conf. USA is going down the tubes......At least UAB has Mike Davis
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

It'd be a good move for him.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    N.C. State has often run a shady program, so Calipari should be a great fit.
    Factor in Amato running the football program, and Raleigh becomes the snake oil capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Factor in Amato running the football program, and Raleigh becomes the snake oil capital of the world.
    Maybe JimBo could be AD if the Nats gig doesn't work out for him.

Re: N.C. State in serious negotiations with Memphis' Calipari

Lateral move at best IMO, ncstate will always be the weak sister in the ACC>
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    You beat me to it, Krono. I think he should stay put.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Agree. He's being paid very well at Memphis and he can rule CUSA at will. In that conference he can play the cupcakes, rack up 25 win seasons, and get no less than a 5 seed every year.

Ain't gonna do that in the ACC, especially at a school that's 4th fiddle behind Duke, North Carolina and Wake Forest in it's own state.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Agree. He's being paid very well at Memphis and he can rule CUSA at will. In that conference he can play the cupcakes, rack up 25 win seasons, and get no less than a 5 seed every year.

Ain't gonna do that in the ACC, especially at a school that's 4th fiddle behind Duke, North Carolina and Wake Forest in it's own state.
    Don't forget our dear friends at Boston College....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

While he could stay at Memphis and destroy CUSA for years, maybe he wants the challenge of facing Duke, UNC, Boston College, Maryland every game. Instead of Houston, Rice, UAB, etc. Maybe he doesn't want to sit around and win 25 games against bad teams and then get into the tournament and not be tested.

If I was him, I'd go to N.C. State and try to prove that I am one of the best coaches in America and I can beat Duke and UNC.
    Matta = Really good

Maybe not but he may want the challenge of coaching in the ACC. I'm sure the Duke job wasn't very attractive when Coach K came in. They had past success but they were probably 3rd or 4th fiddle then. Yeah, he could stay at Memphis and rule CUSA but sometimes you want to measure yourself against the best of the best. Save for the NBA, which he already tried, the ACC is a place where you can do that. That's a reason why it was a shame Huggins got fired. Sure, he was great in the Metro and CUSA but how would he have done against guys like Boeheim and Calhoun?

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I wouldnt be too hard on Calipari.

Say what you want, but the guy is an excellent recruiter. He had lured Amare Stoudemire and Kendrick Perkins to Memphis before they declared for the draft, and he did get one year out of Dajuan Wagner. The guy is a solid coach wherever he goes, and he will have top flight facilities to work with in Raleigh(The RBC Center is fairly new).

I wouldnt guarantee success for him just yet, but he isnt going to crash and burn either.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I wouldnt be too hard on Calipari.

Say what you want, but the guy is an excellent recruiter.
    And when Marcus Camby started strutting around with wads of 100s in his pocket and bling to match, Cal never said a word.

And the Dejuan Wagner recruitment was fascinating. As a high school senior, DW was one of the top recruits in the country.

So Cal gave his dad a job on the Memphis coaching staff.

(A la Larry Brown & Danny Manning's dad at Kansas.)

And, poof! Dejaun decided to spend a year on the banks of the Mississippi.

Yep, that Calipari really knows how to lure the talent.

I'd love to hear from more of the NE posters who saw him up close & personal during his UMass days.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    So Cal gave his dad a job on the Memphis coaching staff.
    Happens all the time in collegiate sports. How do you think Arkansas got the number one QB recruit in the nation?(hired his former head coach as offensive coordinator. Mario Chalmers, PG at Kansas, his dad was named athletic director, so Chalmers followed.

Allan Houston is another one who comes to mind, went to Tennesee after his dad became an assistant coach. I'm sure there is more.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?