Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N.C. State in serious negotiations with Memphis' Calipari

I Still Miss Sean Casey

Re: N.C. State in serious negotiations with Memphis' Calipari

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Happens all the time in collegiate sports. How do you think Arkansas got the number one QB recruit in the nation?(hired his former head coach as offensive coordinator. Mario Chalmers, PG at Kansas, his dad was named athletic director, so Chalmers followed.

Allan Houston is another one who comes to mind, went to Tennesee after his dad became an assistant coach. I'm sure there is more.
    Actually, Allan Houston's dad became head coach at Tennessee; he had been an assistant at Louisville and Allan was likely going to go there had his dad not taken the Tennessee job. Turns out that it was the best thing his dad ever did with the Vols, getting his son to play there.

And I can't believe on a Cincinnati Reds board, of all places, there is a Mitch Mustain reference (Arkansas QB whom you just mentioned). Springdale, where he's from, is about an hour away from where I live and last football season, it was a freakin' circus because his team won the state championship and there were daily rumors as to where he was going to school. He originally committed to Arkansas then withdrew after the football season ended. He was back on board with the Hogs once his old coach was named offensive coordinator. I thought RedsZone would be the last place I would ever hear a Mitch Mustain reference.
    "And this one belongs to the Reds."

2. Turn Off Ads?

In Memphis Calipari is the only show in town, so he gets all the recruits. If he goes to NC State, he'll have to compete with Duke, UNC, Wake, etc. That, combined with the fact that he just isn't a very good coach, makes him likely to flop.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerRed
    And I can't believe on a Cincinnati Reds board, of all places, there is a Mitch Mustain reference (Arkansas QB whom you just mentioned). Springdale, where he's from, is about an hour away from where I live and last football season, it was a freakin' circus because his team won the state championship and there were daily rumors as to where he was going to school. He originally committed to Arkansas then withdrew after the football season ended. He was back on board with the Hogs once his old coach was named offensive coordinator. I thought RedsZone would be the last place I would ever hear a Mitch Mustain reference.
    I don't know the whole story on Mustain, but from what I understood, David Cutcliffe, who was named Tennessee offensive coordinator right around that time, had connections to Mustain. When he got on at Tennessee, that was when Mustain started to turn his attention toward the Vols and re-negged on Arkansas.

If im not mistaken, the same team that won state had some other good players other than Mustain who are going to the Razorbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    And when Marcus Camby started strutting around with wads of 100s in his pocket and bling to match, Cal never said a word.

And the Dejuan Wagner recruitment was fascinating. As a high school senior, DW was one of the top recruits in the country.

So Cal gave his dad a job on the Memphis coaching staff.

(A la Larry Brown & Danny Manning's dad at Kansas.)

And, poof! Dejaun decided to spend a year on the banks of the Mississippi.

Yep, that Calipari really knows how to lure the talent.

I'd love to hear from more of the NE posters who saw him up close & personal during his UMass days.
    Hey, I resemble that remark...Deflections don't just chart themselves, you know!

Regards,

Jamal Magliore's Dad
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    And when Marcus Camby started strutting around with wads of 100s in his pocket and bling to match, Cal never said a word.
    If Coach Cal went to NC State, would he stand a better chance of controlling the boosters there?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Calipari got a new deal from Memphis, he's staying.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Calipari got a new deal from Memphis, he's staying.
    Yup, it has been all over TV here in the Triangle.

http://www.wral.com/sports/8628873/detail.html

I've also heard rumors of the Wolfpack powers-that-be pursuing---get this--Steve Lavin, at least that is the buzz locally.

I found this to be interesting. Looks like Cal doesn't think NC State can compete with the Duke's and North Carolina's of the world, and he's right. They are the 4th best program in the state.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2406574

John Calipari was on the brink of accepting the North Carolina State job Monday night.

His eventual change of mind was not because of compensation concerns, however. Rather, he was concerned he wouldn't have enough of a shot at doing what Wolfpack officials want: consistently beating Duke and North Carolina.

Calipari was offered a salary worth $400,000 a year more than what he is currently making at Memphis.

Calipari met with NC State officials Sunday in Memphis and then again Monday evening in Raleigh. Calipari wore casual attire and a hat in an attempt to go unnoticed on his visit, ESPN.com was told, but at least one person allegedly took camera phone photos of him at a local Dunkin' Donuts.

Calipari finally decided to stay at Memphis after he was assured by the school that his assistant coaches would be well-compensated and given long-term security. He will receive a raise from Memphis -- the same increase that was offered prior to his listening to NC State.

"(Athletic director R.C.) Johnson and Calipari reached a verbal agreement on a contract extension, and the paperwork is in the process of being drawn up," Memphis spokesman spokesman Lamar Chance said.

Terms of the deal were not immediately available. The Commercial Appeal reported Wednesday that Calipari will get a raise from less than $1.1 million to about $1.3 million plus incentives that could make the possible total package about $1.7 million through the 2010-11 season.

The Wolfpack now could turn their search in a few different directions, notably toward LSU's John Brady or George Mason's Jim Larranaga. The search may be more wide open now that Texas' Rick Barnes and Calipari have chosen to stay at their current jobs.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.
    They might look at Larranaga? I know he's the feel good story of the year, but that's about all he is. George Mason was this years fluke, that's about it. Larranaga is a carrer mid-major nobody that hasn't done squat until this year, any team that shells out major bucks for him isn't thinking very clearly.

I found this to be interesting. Looks like Cal doesn't think NC State can compete with the Duke's and North Carolina's of the world, and he's right. They are the 4th best program in the state.
    Maybe they can't now but all they really need to do is finish in the upper half of the ACC and go to the NCAAs every year. Then they make a run like Jimmy V did. That team wouldn't have gone to the NCAAs if they hadn't won the ACC tournament. Coach K and Roy aren't going to be around forever. Things change and can change quickly. I think it's too bad Calipari doesn't have enough confidence in his abilities to make N.C. St. a powerhouse again. He can just sit back in Memphis and win a cupcake conference every year and wonder what might have been if he could match with with Coach K and Roy 2-3 times every year.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Maybe they can't now but all they really need to do is finish in the upper half of the ACC and go to the NCAAs every year. Then they make a run like Jimmy V did. That team wouldn't have gone to the NCAAs if they hadn't won the ACC tournament. Coach K and Roy aren't going to be around forever. Things change and can change quickly. I think it's too bad Calipari doesn't have enough confidence in his abilities to make N.C. St. a powerhouse again. He can just sit back in Memphis and win a cupcake conference every year and wonder what might have been if he could match with with Coach K and Roy 2-3 times every year.
    Sendek took them to the NCAA's for 5 straight years, they ran him off because he didn't beat Duke and North Carolina. After the way Herb was treated down there they aren't going to get any big name, Barnes and now Calipari have told them to get lost, even when they were throwing close to $2 million a year at them.

The latest name on their list of "ain't gonna happen"? Rick Pitino.

If Herb had made a run to the Final 4, he'd be a god there. I saw this on a newsgroup last week lifted from a Carolina board about the NC St. coaching search. It's a little long but funny.

3rd hand credit to to TarHeelPatriot from "Inside Carolina"

"I have obtained the official NC State booster club's list of potential coaches, and the odds of each guy becoming the new coach, as they see it."

Potential Candidate: Odds that we choose him for the job, and Pros and Cons:

John Wooden: 2-1. Pros: Won a lot in the past, almost as much as NC State. Obviously would jump at the chance to coach a perennial powerhouse like NC State. Cons: Old. Hasn't won much recently, should we settle for that?

Mike Kryszewski: 3-1. Pros: Would clearly jump at the chance to move up to a higher visibility program. Intimidates refs, so we would get all the calls with him. Cons: Is Satan.

Dean Smith: 4-1. Pros: Understands the biggest rivalry in sports, NC State/Carolina. We would get all the calls if we had him. Cons: Dominated at State- as a coach of an opposing team.

Adolph Rupp: 5-1. Pros: won a lot in the past, almost as much as NC State. Would appeal to rednecks in fanbase, which is just about everyone. Cons: dead.

Red Auerbach: 6-1: Pros: Won a lot in the NBA. Smoking cigars would go over well with tobacco state's fanbase. Cons: Unproven at the college level.

Jim Calhoun: 6-1. Pros: would love to move up to this job, wins a lot, no problem with players getting caught stealing stuff. Cons: Connecticut Yankee.

Bob Knight: 7-1. Pros: Would obviously take the job in a heartbeat. Fans would enjoy his lively personality and humor. Cons: hasn't won enough to be considered a leading candidate for a job this important. Possible backup plan if first choices don't interview well.

Pat Riley: 7-1. Pros: would fit in well in cosmopolitan world capital like Raleigh. Cons: Unproven at college level. Hasn't won anything in a long time, we don't want to be living in the past.

Phil Jackson: 8-1. Pros: Won a lot, would take the job in a second, no doubt. Cons: pseudo-intellectualism would turn off good ol' boy fanbase.

Les Robinson: 10-1. Pros: Experience with the job. Possibly the cleanest coach in NC State history. Cons: Possibly the cleanest coach in NC State history.

Terrell Owens: 11-1. Pros: well known, probably be a good recruiter with today's young athletes. Would love to take the job. Cons: Unproven in basketball.

Barry Bonds: 11-1. Pros: Could advise players on body-building routine. We would have the strongest team in the country. Cons: Too easygoing and friendly for this tough job.

Jim Valvano Jr.: 12-1. Pros: descended from greatest coach in history of sports, would probably inherit the winning magic that his father had. Cons: doesn't exist.

Everett Case: 15-1. Pros: Experience in the job. Cons: never won the big one. We need someone who can take us to the next level, not some retread.

Cozell McQueen: 16-1. Pros: Won it all at NC State. Cons: never coached. Has a weird bumpy thing on his shoulder.

Chris Washburn: 17-1. Pros: Knows all about NC State basketball. Cons: Too likely to get caught, not good at getting away with stuff. Might be in jail.

Bill Gates: 18-1. Pros: No doubt he would want the job. Very successful in his field. Experienced at putting rivals out of business. Cons: Too geeky.

Dick Vitale: 20-1. Pros: excitable, well known. Cons: would lose to Duke on purpose.

Digger Phelps: 20-1. Pros: well known in college basketball. Cons: tends to be wrong about everything.

Al Maguire: 21-1. Pros: good coach. His team stayed within 12 points of the greatest team in the history of sports in 1974 championship game. Cons: New York type. Also dead.

Eddie Sutton: 22-1. Pros: willing to do whatever it takes to win. Cons: might be a wimp once he gets out of rehab.

Norm Sloan: 23-1. Pros: won it all at NC State. Cons: hard to find the type of sport coats he prefers these days. Another retread, unable to win once he left the NC State program. Also dead.

Guy Lewis: 24-1. Pros: Good things happen to State when he's around. Cons: another dead guy.

Billy Donovan: 25-1. Pros: would obviously love to take the job. Cons: hasn't won it all yet. Do we want to settle for him when we could have his mentor, Pitino?

Rick Pitino: 25-1. Pros: big winner, except with Celtics. Obviously would want the job if offered. Cons: didn't even make the NCAAs this year, would be a step down from Sendek.

Rick Barnes: 25-1. Pros: local guy, yelled at Dean Smith. Would love to have a shot at this job. Cons: hasn't won enough to get such a prestigious job.

Jim Boeheim: 26-1. Pros: won a lot. Cons: glasses-wearing yankee wouldn't fly with fanbase.

Charles Shackelford: 27-1. Pros: Natural amphibious abilities would come in handy. Cons: might shave points.

Myron Piggie: 28-1. Pros: Our type of guy, good connections with recruits. Cons: no college coaching experience, might be in jail.

Drew Rosenhaus: 30-1. Pros: slick negotiator, would be a good recruiter. Cons: unproven as coach. Brags about players getting paid, needs to learn to keep it quiet.

Jerry Tarkanian: 30-1. Pros: good recruiter, has experience at dealing with our kind of players. Cons: Hasn't been caught in a while, is he still willing to do what it takes?

Bob Staak: 35-1. Pros: ACC experience, good things happen to State when he's coaching. Good buddy of Valvano. Cons: Valvano loved him when he coached and recruited against NC State, not for NC State.

That Guy Arizona State Just Hired: 35-1. Pros: Most successful NC State Coach in decades. Cons: Never won anything."

The sad part is, a lot of their fans sound like that.

The sad part is, a lot of their fans sound like that.
    Yeah, I'm guessing that isn't real far from the truth.

Re: Calipari

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    N.C. State has often run a shady program, so Calipari should be a great fit.
    They've been squeeky clean since Valvano left. Just about every school has had its periods of bending the rules..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?