Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batman Criticizes Pirates

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Batman Criticizes Pirates

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06100/681044-100.stm

Actor Keaton criticizes Pirates' owners before first pitch
    Monday, April 10, 2006

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Batman threw a few barbs the Pirates' way today, and they hit as hard as a batarang to the temple.

Actor Michael Keaton, the Coraopolis native who threw out the ceremonial first pitch, was bitingly critical of the franchise's ownership shortly before the home opener today at PNC Park, accusing the Pirates of not spending enough on players and of taking their fans for granted.

"Maybe they should let me throw this pitch first because they might not like what I have to say," Keaton said at a news conference.

He paused.

"I fear they will take advantage of the good will of the people who continue to show up," he continued. "For my money, that's disrespectful. At some point, you either have to write the check or do something and not assume, well, we're OK and, ultimately, the franchise is valuable, anyway, like Donald Sterling did with the Los Angeles Clippers."

Sterling, the Clippers' famously frugal owner, finally is presiding over a winning team after 12 consecutive losing seasons.

"Look, I'd do it, too, if I were a businessman," Keaton said. "But, at some point, you've got to win. I think fans have been gracious. And maybe not vocal enough. Maybe not vociferous enough with their displeasure. That's my opinion."

The Pirates' payroll of $47.6 million -- up nearly $13 million from last season -- ranks 26th among the 30 teams in Major League Baseball

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Batman Criticizes Pirates

Baseball is a business too, some owners want to win and others just want to make money. Two easy examples of the opposite ends of the spectrum are George Steinbrenner and Carl Lindner. Steinbrenner wants to win and Lindner just wnted to make money.

I agree with Batman.

What does Spider-man think though?
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I agree with Batman.

He's an Indians fans, never quite getting over the fact that at one time there was a team in Cleveland known as the Spiders.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-10-2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Aquaman thinks the Marlins are in trouble.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I agree with Batman.

Bruce Wayne should buy the Pirates -- he's a billionaire, he could definately afford to putting a winning team on the field.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Bruce Wayne should buy the Pirates -- he's a billionaire, he could definately afford to putting a winning team on the field.
    The bat wallet has to be thinner than in years past. I'm sure he's feeling the pinch at the pump. I can't imagine what it takes to fill up that car of his. On top of that, the guy has a serious gadget addiction. He'd spend his revenue sharing dollars on fancy belts instead of a middle of the order bat.
    Last edited by wolfboy; 04-10-2006 at 05:59 PM.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Sure, Batman buys a team and instills Robin as GM. If Robin makes a bad trade he can blame it on Dick Grayson. And then what happens when the Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman buy the Cubs?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Sure, Batman buys a team and instills Robin as GM. If Robin makes a bad trade he can blame it on Dick Grayson. And then what happens when the Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman buy the Cubs?
    they continue to suck out loud?

My 2 cents, what keaton knows about baseball is a short book.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Baseball is a business too, some owners want to win and others just want to make money. Two easy examples of the opposite ends of the spectrum are George Steinbrenner and Carl Lindner. Steinbrenner wants to win and Lindner just wnted to make money.
    If all Carl Lindner cared about was making money, he got into the wrong business. Given Lindner's history, I think it's clear that he saw himself as a transitional caretaker of a civic institution and was more concerned with positive Cincinnati and LindnerCo PR than profitability. Unfortunately, he surrounded himself with absymally stupid baseball people, and, in the long run, failed at all three objectives.

Comparing Lindner to the men that own the Pirates and Royals and are allegedly merely profiteering, well, I think that's unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Comparing Lindner to the men that own the Pirates and Royals and are allegedly merely profiteering, well, I think that's unfair.
    Is it fair to compare him to Batman?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'm Batman.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Michael Keaton and Puffy are not Batman.
    This is batman:

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Michael Keaton and Puffy are not Batman.
    This is batman:

No, I'm Batman - that dude is the mayor of Quahog.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?