Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Notes: Phillips might get outfield time

Reds Notes: Phillips might get outfield time

Notes: Phillips might get outfield time
    Crowded infield forces move; LaRue, Wilson continue rehab
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- New infielder Brandon Phillips grew up idolizing former Reds shortstop Barry Larkin. But Phillips could soon be doing something for Cincinnati that Larkin never did.

Playing the outfield.

Overloaded with middle infielders, manager Jerry Narron appeared willing to get creative in order to find Phillips playing time. Narron planned to have Phillips get some instruction from first base/outfield coach Billy Hatcher.

Only Ryan Freel and Andy Abad play the outfield now, but Freel often starts in the infield, like he did Tuesday at second base.

"Just watching [Phillips] take fly balls in BP, he looked like he could do that," Narron said Tuesday. "He won't get a start out there, but I could see him finishing a game out there for us."

The only issue for Phillips is that he's never roamed the outfield in a game before, at any level.

"Not even in Little League," said Phillips, who had a pinch-hit double Sunday in his Reds debut. "I've been out there shagging balls and it's cool. Whenever everyone else is hitting, I'm out there trying to catch the popups. That's the closest thing to outfield I've ever been."

As for getting him starts from his natural positions at second base or shortstop, Narron was still trying to figure something out, but it would probably be at shortstop when Felipe Lopez needs a day off.

"I don't like the idea of anybody just sitting there," Narron said. "With Freel, [Tony] Womack and [Rich] Aurilia, it'd be tough to start him at second. ... I hate to say it, but right now he's like a Rule 5 Draft pick. We'll try to work him in."

Phillips, 24, was open to anything he might be asked to do.

"Any way I can get in the lineup," he said. "I'd go out there and play in the outfield. It doesn't matter, as long as I'm getting playing time. It's cool with me."

Injury report: In the latest test of his injured right knee, Jason LaRue caught four innings Tuesday during an extended Spring Training game at the Reds' complex in Sarasota, Fla. LaRue went 0-for-3 against a Fort Myers Red Sox squad but reported no problems with the knee, which needed arthroscopic surgery March 27 to repair torn meniscus cartilage.

Pitching four scoreless innings to LaRue was rehabilitating right-hander Paul Wilson, who allowed two hits and no walks while striking out three. Wilson, working his way back from shoulder surgery, threw 31 pitches.

Both LaRue and Wilson will be re-evaluated Wednesday.

Cleanup man: For the fourth time in the young season, Aurilia was playing first base and batting cleanup between Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn against the Cubs.

It might seem like an odd spot, considering Aurilia is not known as a power threat like Griffey and Dunn. But Narron liked splitting the two lefty hitters with a right-hander and having someone that can drive in runs.

"He's a guy that will give you a good at-bat, whether it's against a left-handed pitcher or right-handed pitcher," Narron said. "Especially if guys are on base."

Narron has also been pleased with how well Aurilia has manned first base, a position he had little experience at before this season.

"If he played there every day as his sole position, he'd be one of the better first basemen in baseball," Narron said.

Seen and heard: Right fielder Austin Kearns couldn't resist pointing out Tuesday morning to Dunn that he was tied for the National League lead with two sacrifice flies.

"Was there ever a doubt?" joked Dunn, who once went 1,085 plate appearances without notching a sac fly from 2003-05.

Coming up: Left-hander Brandon Claussen is scheduled to start for the Reds on Wednesday against the Cubs at 2:20 p.m. ET. Greg Maddux is Chicago's probable starter.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Notes: Phillips might get outfield time

Does anyone know what a "good at bat" is?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I do.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Apparently it's a synonym for an out. That's what Aurilia does mostly...either Encarnacion or Kearns belongs in that #4 slot. Aurilia shouldn't even be on the field unless Freel, Lopez, or Encarnacion is missing a limb. I really despise Narron's propensity to play veterans in place of young, developing players like those 3. Hatteburg? Well, that's the one place I don't mind seeing Aurilia, but he should be batting seventh or eighth.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Ahh..so "good at bats" = veteran outs
    Go Gators!

got alil captain in u?

maybe work on his outfield skills for a few weeks before narron sticks him out there

Actually, didn't Larkin play CF a game or two and they realized it wasn't his thing. Maybe the same can happen. Why not just play Freel in the OF and keep Phillips at 2B and SS.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    Actually, didn't Larkin play CF a game or two and they realized it wasn't his thing.
    Nope.
    Code:
    SECOND BASE
    YEAR TEAM         AGE  G     PO    A    E   DP  PCT   RANGE
    1986 Reds         22    3     4    6    0    1 1.000   3.33 
         TOTALS             3     4    6    0    1 1.000   3.33 

SHORTSTOP
    YEAR TEAM         AGE  G     PO    A    E   DP  PCT   RANGE
    1986 Reds         22   36    47  119    4   21  .976   4.61 
    1987 Reds         23  119   168  358   19   72  .965   4.42 
    1988 Reds         24  148   231  470   29   67  .960   4.74 
    1989 Reds         25   82   142  267   10   31  .976   4.99 
    1990 Reds         26  156   254  469   17   86  .977   4.63 
    1991 Reds         27  119   226  372   15   65  .976   5.03 
    1992 Reds         28  140   233  408   11   67  .983   4.58 
    1993 Reds         29   99   159  281   16   56  .965   4.44 
    1994 Reds         30  110   178  312   10   62  .980   4.45 
    1995 Reds         31  130   192  341   11   72  .980   4.10 
    1996 Reds         32  151   230  426   17   80  .975   4.34 
    1997 Reds         33   63    77  171    5   33  .980   3.94 
    1998 Reds         34  145   207  358   12   79  .979   3.90 
    1999 Reds         35  161   220  401   14   77  .978   3.86 
    2000 Reds         36  102   153  249   11   43  .973   3.94 
    2001 Reds         37   44    65  108    9   23  .951   3.93 
    2002 Reds         38  135   190  370   12   89  .979   4.15 
    2003 Reds         39   60    71  159    9   36  .962   3.83 
    2004 Reds         40   85   105  216    4   33  .988   3.78 
         TOTALS          2085  3148 5855  235 1092  .975   4.32

Larkin to the OF was discussed in articles his last few years as well.
    Go Gators!

Efficient use of the 40 man roster is a foreign concept right now.

And "having to get guys playing time" is a silly philosophy.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

WKU Hilltoppers

Aurilia is batting .417 with runners on with a 1.346 ops
    Aurilia is batting .375 with runners in scoring position with a 1.525 ops

Like him or not at the present time he is deserving of hitting in that spot.

Hopefully if he keeps it up he'll get a little love around here.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

He also led the Reds in BA with runners in scoring position last year. At least thats what the scoreboard said on Opening Day.....and we all know the scoreboard doesn't lie
    I would be willing to give Kearnsy a shot hitting between Griff and Dunn. That would still keep the heart of the lineup broken up L/R/L.

WKU Hilltoppers

I have no problem with Kearns in that spot. My point was that at this time saying that Aurilia should not be there does not make any sense.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    Apparently it's a synonym for an out. That's what Aurilia does mostly...either Encarnacion or Kearns belongs in that #4 slot. Aurilia shouldn't even be on the field unless Freel, Lopez, or Encarnacion is missing a limb. I really despise Narron's propensity to play veterans in place of young, developing players like those 3. Hatteburg? Well, that's the one place I don't mind seeing Aurilia, but he should be batting seventh or eighth.
    Felipe Lopez has started every game, Edwin Encarnacion has started all but one, Aurillia playing first has nothing to do with Ryan Freel.

Really get off this please. He's produced when put in the lineup.
    Can we stop complaining about an offense which averages 6 + runs per game.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

They tried Larkin out in centerfield in Spring Training for a few games. If I remember correctly it was 2003.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?