Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey and Travis Wood pitching tonight

Re: Homer Bailey and Travis Wood pitching tonight

I'm sure Wood is continuing to work on his curve. And, given the great touch he's showing with his change, it's likely he's varying the speed of his fastball -- one may be a two-seamer/cutter, the other a four-seamer. The kid can pitch.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Travis Wood was NASTY tonight. His changeup made Lansing look foolish. His FB was coming in at 88 and his change was between 68 and 72. His stuff was real good today. He struck out most of his batters with the change.

Went to the game last night. I didn't see Wood break 88mph on any pitch and I kept an eye on his pitches all night. I thought he was a hard thrower as well. He's a lefty, so a finesse pitcher isn't necessarily a bad thing. He had a great change up last night that was killing Lansing hitters. He also was throwing a pretty decent curveball, and did a real nice job keeping hitters off balance all night.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 04-12-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Radar guns are nice tools. Use wisely.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Last year on opening day the radar gun told us that Paul Wilson was throwing at 92.

Uh huh.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Travis Wood struckout the side in the first inning while giving up a two out double. He just struckout the side in the second inning, too. 6 K's in two innings for Wood.

Homer threw a 1-2-3 1st inning with a strikeout, but gave up two runs on four hits in the second inning. No walks and two K's through two. Homer has still yet to walk a batter this inning.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...lrafa_sarafa_1

Update: Wood allows a double in the 3rd inning but struckout another. 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K

Bailey: 3 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 3 K

Bailey sets them down in order in the fourth. 4 K's in 4 innings.
    I see Mr. Chris Booker made an appearance last night. Good to see. Still wish the Reds had found a way to keep him. Oh well.

As for Wood, I wouldn't get too caught up in watching the speed gun. If he gets the outs, he gets the outs. Period.

Also, it would be nice to have a hyped pitcher that other organizations covet...could be a nice carrot to dangle in a trade. We've seen other organizations get rich using such a strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Went to the game last night. I didn't see Wood break 88mph on any pitch and I kept an eye on his pitches all night. I thought he was a hard thrower as well. He's a lefty, so a finesse pitcher isn't necessarily a bad thing. He had a great change up last night that was killing Lansing hitters. He also was throwing a pretty decent curveball, and did a real nice job keeping hitters off balance all night.
    I was looking at 3 different guns the whole night.

Here are some sample speeds...88 was his fastest, and with those you have to give or take a mph or two.

FB - 88, 86, 85....consistantly between 85 and 87
    Ch - 73, 72, 72, 72, 74

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

There was a discussion about Wood's velocity last month:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44238

And I'll throw in this comment from a BP writer:

Drafted: 2005, second round
    Velocity: Plus, especially for lefthander
    Second Pitch: Plus-plus changeup

2005 Debut: 1.29 ERA in 49 innings with 67/20 K/BB ratio
    The Good: As an Arkansas prep star Wood was seen by scouts primarily as a raw lefthander whose primary skill was the ability to throw hard, and even the Reds seem shocked at his initial success and polish. Wood began his career with 17.2 scoreless innings over six games, allowing seven hits and punching out 31. He showed little sign of slowing down when promoted to the Pioneer League, limiting opposing batters to a .174 average.
    The Bad: While it is rare to find a teenager with an advanced changeup, Wood still needs a breaking ball, and he's yet to acquire a feel for the pitch. Short (6-foot) and slight of frame, he offers little projection.
    He's not the flamethrower he was billed to be pre-draft, but he can throw hard enough to make his changeup effective, and his fastball will be good enough if the movement and command are there. It's also early in the season. I doubt he's at 100% velocity quite yet and it's encouraging that he doesn't seem to be overthrowing.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    He's not the flamethrower he was billed to be pre-draft, but he can throw hard enough to make his changeup effective, and his fastball will be good enough if the movement and command are there. It's also early in the season. I doubt he's at 100% velocity quite yet and it's encouraging that he doesn't seem to be overthrowing.
    I agree, its early on and he may not be throwing as hard as he can. Its also possible he took a little of the fastball if he was able to get better movement at a lower speed...

Did anyone see if his fastball was moving well?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks, IslandRed.

I was very impressed with his control of his fastball and change. Saw a couple curveballs in there that I thought were pretty good, although you could tell he wasn't as confident in as his other two pitches. If he develops that third pitch, anything with a bend to it, he could be good.

And you're also right about him probably not being at top velocity this early in the season, but even so, I don't think he's going to pick up more than 2-3 mph on his fastball, most people don't anyway.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco

Did anyone see if his fastball was moving well?
    I didn't have the best seats to see, but it appeared that the ball was moving decently. It definately wasn't "flat"
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Two other things to consider in terms of Woods' velo:

1) It's his second start of the year and the instructions for him might be to work at less than maximum effort.

2) The instructions for him might be to work at less than maximum effort anyway, figuring that he'll gain velo over the course of a few years with maturity and a more efficient motion.

If I were Johnny Almaraz, I'd be much more interested in what speed he's throwing at in three years than today. A good repeatable delivery of a heater with some movement, a killer change and a developing breaking ball. That's not a bad mix. We know Wood's got a quick arm and, IMO, it would actually be a good sign if he didn't try to ride that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Another positive is that Homer Bailey hasn't walked any hitters in his first two starts totaling 10.1 IP. He's allowed 12 hits, but my guess is his first priority early in the season is control after his high walk totals last season.

I think Homer is going to have a big second half this season. Hopefully the minor league pitching instruction has undergone, or is undergoing, some serious changes and we'll start to see the results with Homer this year. I think he'll spend the first half of the season working through some things and the second half he'll start to dominate. At least that's the hope, he needs to show this year at this level that he's capable of dominating minor league hitters for an extended stretch.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Wagner fired 1.2 inning of scoreless ball tonight.

This thread has brought a smile to my face on a otherwise dismal day at work. Thanks for all the farm-hand insight!

I remember that the predraft reports on Wood said that he touched higher velocity closer to the draft -- up to 94-95. That may have been a fast gun, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get over 90 as the season goes on.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?