Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Homer Bailey and Travis Wood pitching tonight

Re: Homer Bailey and Travis Wood pitching tonight

Good points, lollipop, and I agree with M2, it is encouraging that the Red's are taking this approach with Wood, and also encouraging that Wood is accepting of the instruction. I'm definately keeping my eye on him as he moves up. I really like his attitude and make up and am hoping the success can continue as he rises through the system.

Deep down, I've always wanted to be Team Wood.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Well, it was sure a good thing the Reds didn't trade Ty Howington, Ricardo Aramboles, Dustin Moseley, Chris Gruler, Bobby Basham, Ryan Wagner and Richie Gardner while they were still highly-coveted top five prospects inside the organization. I mean imagine the hole the Reds would be in if they had done that instead of holding onto to their best young arms?
    Not a thing can be done about those guys getting hurt. The thing we know for sure is unless you come up with some pitching you will not win anything. Imagine if Wayne Gretzky traded Bailey, maybe not you but this forum would turn into Bagdad.

:

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Not a thing can be done about those guys getting hurt. The thing we know for sure is unless you come up with some pitching you will not win anything. Imagine if Wayne Gretzky traded Bailey, maybe not you but this forum would turn into Bagdad.
    Wayne Gretzky?

Think you've go to re-calibrate your personal sport identification compass there.

Anyway, I imagine the kneejerk to any trade of Homer Bailey would be the same as every other trade I've seen the Reds make this century -- namely that the majority of fans would be in favor of it.

Frankly I'd expect there to be little to no wailing whatsoever if Bailey got dealt for a guy who could help in the majors today.

And something can be done about those guys getting hurt. Someone could do the quick math that, hey, young pitchers sure tend to get hurt and/or flameout a lot. Golly, what if you traded a few while their value was high instead of hanging onto to such a consistently undeperforming commodity? Not a thing can be done about those who live comfortably inside a box.
    Last edited by M2; 04-14-2006 at 06:46 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Wayne Gretzky?
    You didn't hear?

Pete Rose bet Gretzky's wife, Janet Jones, that Wayne could never become the GM of the Reds. Pete lost, on his birthday.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

M2 and icehole3 have essentially covered the dilemma of pitching prospects -- trade them all and you'll never have cheap, good pitching; never trade any and you'll get no value from most of them. So it comes down to knowing when to hold and when to fold. We can only hope that Krivsky has the right touch there.
    Not all who wander are lost

Wayne Gretzky?

Think you've go to re-calibrate your personal sport identification compass there.
    Krivsky....Gretzky. Whatever you want to call him.

Every trade gets scanned over and over on this forum, to say no one would mind if Bailey is traded is well... I wont say. Once again I dont really mind if Wayne Gretzky trades a pitching prospect, just not Bailey and if he does I will post here in disbelief Im sorry.

:

Krivsky....Gretzky. Whatever you want to call him.

Every trade gets scanned over and over on this forum, to say no one would mind if Bailey is traded is well... I wont say. Once again I dont really mind if Wayne Gretzky trades a pitching prospect, just not Bailey and if he does I will post here in disbelief Im sorry.
    I'm sure Wayne Krivsky might like it if Janet Jones shared you displacement dilemma. In the meantime, I'll make sure to don some shades to shield myself from the searing glare of your intellect.

Of course a few people would gripe about dealing Bailey, though the dissenters are almost always overwhelmed by the assenters on Reds deals (even the really bad ones). Just go back a season to when the vast majority of folks thought DanO had a stellar offseason leading into the '05 campaign. Maybe you'd complain, but your disbelief would be overwhelmed by those impressed by the team making a bold move and those happy to have a bird in hard rather than one in the bush.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Youre right, Im wrong. We should trade some of our top 5 pitchers because its a good chance they'll blow their shoulders right out of their sockets. I agree.

:

Youre right, Im wrong. We should trade some of our top 5 pitchers because its a good chance they'll blow their shoulders right out of their sockets. I agree.
    No amount of information or number of years of scratching your head over why other folks figure out things that remain a constant mystery to you is going to get you outside your box, is it?

Turn Off Ads?