Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Insane stat

  1. #16
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,128

    Re: Insane stat

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I would start him 5 out of 7 games. He will wear himself down if he plays every game.
    I think Steve Stewart said this about 800 times during the rain delay. I was driving home from Chicago, so I listened the whole time.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Insane stat

    Out of a season of 162 there are going to be times when you can play your B team, which is kind of what the REDS put out against Pittsburgh in game 4. And part of the Manager's job is managing the position players so that they can play them in the important games. I would prefer to have Freel available against teams like the Cards or Cubs than to have him worn out against the Pirates.

  4. #18
    GOREDSGO32
    Guest

    Re: Insane stat

    Freel wears down, like others have said and Marty said today. I would like to keep a fresh rotation in the lineup.

  5. #19
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,673

    Re: Insane stat

    I don't buy that he wears down, maybe he gets hurt but that's a maybe for anyone.
    Go Gators!

  6. #20
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,685

    Re: Insane stat

    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Out of a season of 162 there are going to be times when you can play your B team, which is kind of what the REDS put out against Pittsburgh in game 4. And part of the Manager's job is managing the position players so that they can play them in the important games. I would prefer to have Freel available against teams like the Cards or Cubs than to have him worn out against the Pirates.
    I always felt that a manager's job was to field the best players on the team. If "saving" players is a valid strategy, then why isn't Griffey getting more rest? Why not Kearns as well? Those two have certaintly shown that they can be injury prone.

    I know one thing for certain: this so called strategy is more about managing egos than talent. If Freel is handed the job at 2nd, you have two unhappy vets on the bench in Womack and Aurilia. This whole notion of Freel being too good to start is just spin. Unfortunately, a lot of people have bought it hook, line, and sinker. As the season goes on, and the team fails to score enough runs because guys like Womack can't get on base, I hope the spell wears off. Until fans demand the best from this team, we're going to be a lot more like the Royals or Pirates than the Red Sox or Cardinals.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  7. #21
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,447

    Re: Insane stat

    Ryan Freel 2004: 143 Games, 505 AB's

    That's how he should be used... as often as possible.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  8. #22
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Insane stat

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    I always felt that a manager's job was to field the best players on the team. If "saving" players is a valid strategy, then why isn't Griffey getting more rest? Why not Kearns as well? Those two have certaintly shown that they can be injury prone.
    Exactly. If Freel should sit two or three times a week out of fear of injuring himself, then Junior's PT should be limited as well.

    I just don't see it. Play Freel until he starts to "wear down" (if he does), then sit him for a few games and let him recharge.

  9. #23
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,793

    Re: Insane stat

    14 ABs plus 8 Walks equals 22 Plate Appearances.

    6 for 14 with 1 Caught Stealing means he's only produced 9 outs all season.

    Impressive. Most impressive.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  10. #24
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Insane stat

    Thsi "Freel wears down" line is bunk. There's no evidence to support that. Freel has a track record of injuries, yes, but not of wearing down. So let's drop this argument when discussing Freel's playing time (or lack thereof.)
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  11. #25
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Insane stat

    This wear down stuff is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. It has no basis in reality yet because it gets repeated so much people buy it hook, line and sinker.

    Freel plays hard and might injure himself because of it - fine, I can buy that. But wearing down, the cat has played baseball everyday growing up (he grew up in Florida), do you really think his body isn't used to it?

    Come on.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  12. #26
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,437

    Re: Insane stat

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Thsi "Freel wears down" line is bunk. There's no evidence to support that. Freel has a track record of injuries, yes, but not of wearing down. So let's drop this argument when discussing Freel's playing time (or lack thereof.)
    Thank you. Unfortunately this seems to be the party line as far as the Reds are concerned since we hear it repeated so often by the media, the coaching staff and some fans. I ask those of you who only want to play Freel every so often because he may get hurt, would you have done that with Eric Davis? Treating these players like china dolls aren't going to prevent injuries. Pitchers, I understand you have to coddle but not everyday players. I understand they need a break every once in a while but if they are the best option at their position, play them on a regular basis. I understand Freel is very versatile and can be used late in the game at other positions. That doesn't mean you have to hide him on the bench like a secret weapon. Last I checked there was no rule against switching players from one position to another during a game. If there's anything we should have learned from the Bob Boone era it is that.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #27
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Insane stat

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Thank you. Unfortunately this seems to be the party line as far as the Reds are concerned since we hear it repeated so often by the media, the coaching staff and some fans. I ask those of you who only want to play Freel every so often because he may get hurt, would you have done that with Eric Davis? Treating these players like china dolls aren't going to prevent injuries. Pitchers, I understand you have to coddle but not everyday players. I understand they need a break every once in a while but if they are the best option at their position, play them on a regular basis. I understand Freel is very versatile and can be used late in the game at other positions. That doesn't mean you have to hide him on the bench like a secret weapon. Last I checked there was no rule against switching players from one position to another during a game. If there's anything we should have learned from the Bob Boone era it is that.
    How come you didn't thank me?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  14. #28
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Insane stat

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    How come you didn't thank me?
    He likes me better. :
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  15. #29
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Insane stat

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    He likes me better. :
    In fairness to me, it is only Chip we are talking about here.

    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  16. #30
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,872

    Re: Insane stat

    Like I've said before, Freel needs to be in the lineup until parts start falling off his body. And depending on what those parts are, he should probably still start over Womack.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25