Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insane stat

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Insane stat

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I would start him 5 out of 7 games. He will wear himself down if he plays every game.
    I think Steve Stewart said this about 800 times during the rain delay. I was driving home from Chicago, so I listened the whole time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Out of a season of 162 there are going to be times when you can play your B team, which is kind of what the REDS put out against Pittsburgh in game 4. And part of the Manager's job is managing the position players so that they can play them in the important games. I would prefer to have Freel available against teams like the Cards or Cubs than to have him worn out against the Pirates.

GOREDSGO32

Freel wears down, like others have said and Marty said today. I would like to keep a fresh rotation in the lineup.

I don't buy that he wears down, maybe he gets hurt but that's a maybe for anyone.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Out of a season of 162 there are going to be times when you can play your B team, which is kind of what the REDS put out against Pittsburgh in game 4. And part of the Manager's job is managing the position players so that they can play them in the important games. I would prefer to have Freel available against teams like the Cards or Cubs than to have him worn out against the Pirates.
    I always felt that a manager's job was to field the best players on the team. If "saving" players is a valid strategy, then why isn't Griffey getting more rest? Why not Kearns as well? Those two have certaintly shown that they can be injury prone.

I know one thing for certain: this so called strategy is more about managing egos than talent. If Freel is handed the job at 2nd, you have two unhappy vets on the bench in Womack and Aurilia. This whole notion of Freel being too good to start is just spin. Unfortunately, a lot of people have bought it hook, line, and sinker. As the season goes on, and the team fails to score enough runs because guys like Womack can't get on base, I hope the spell wears off. Until fans demand the best from this team, we're going to be a lot more like the Royals or Pirates than the Red Sox or Cardinals.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Ryan Freel 2004: 143 Games, 505 AB's

That's how he should be used... as often as possible.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    I always felt that a manager's job was to field the best players on the team. If "saving" players is a valid strategy, then why isn't Griffey getting more rest? Why not Kearns as well? Those two have certaintly shown that they can be injury prone.
    Exactly. If Freel should sit two or three times a week out of fear of injuring himself, then Junior's PT should be limited as well.

I just don't see it. Play Freel until he starts to "wear down" (if he does), then sit him for a few games and let him recharge.

14 ABs plus 8 Walks equals 22 Plate Appearances.

6 for 14 with 1 Caught Stealing means he's only produced 9 outs all season.

Impressive. Most impressive.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Thsi "Freel wears down" line is bunk. There's no evidence to support that. Freel has a track record of injuries, yes, but not of wearing down. So let's drop this argument when discussing Freel's playing time (or lack thereof.)
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

This wear down stuff is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. It has no basis in reality yet because it gets repeated so much people buy it hook, line and sinker.

Freel plays hard and might injure himself because of it - fine, I can buy that. But wearing down, the cat has played baseball everyday growing up (he grew up in Florida), do you really think his body isn't used to it?

Come on.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Thsi "Freel wears down" line is bunk. There's no evidence to support that. Freel has a track record of injuries, yes, but not of wearing down. So let's drop this argument when discussing Freel's playing time (or lack thereof.)
    Thank you. Unfortunately this seems to be the party line as far as the Reds are concerned since we hear it repeated so often by the media, the coaching staff and some fans. I ask those of you who only want to play Freel every so often because he may get hurt, would you have done that with Eric Davis? Treating these players like china dolls aren't going to prevent injuries. Pitchers, I understand you have to coddle but not everyday players. I understand they need a break every once in a while but if they are the best option at their position, play them on a regular basis. I understand Freel is very versatile and can be used late in the game at other positions. That doesn't mean you have to hide him on the bench like a secret weapon. Last I checked there was no rule against switching players from one position to another during a game. If there's anything we should have learned from the Bob Boone era it is that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Thank you. Unfortunately this seems to be the party line as far as the Reds are concerned since we hear it repeated so often by the media, the coaching staff and some fans. I ask those of you who only want to play Freel every so often because he may get hurt, would you have done that with Eric Davis? Treating these players like china dolls aren't going to prevent injuries. Pitchers, I understand you have to coddle but not everyday players. I understand they need a break every once in a while but if they are the best option at their position, play them on a regular basis. I understand Freel is very versatile and can be used late in the game at other positions. That doesn't mean you have to hide him on the bench like a secret weapon. Last I checked there was no rule against switching players from one position to another during a game. If there's anything we should have learned from the Bob Boone era it is that.
    How come you didn't thank me?
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    How come you didn't thank me?
    He likes me better. :
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    He likes me better. :
    In fairness to me, it is only Chip we are talking about here.

- - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Like I've said before, Freel needs to be in the lineup until parts start falling off his body. And depending on what those parts are, he should probably still start over Womack.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?