Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 games in: What are you observations?

7 games in: What are you observations?

What has surprised/pleased you? What concerns you already?

Me:

Positives
    - Bronson Arroyo
    - Eric Milton and Dave Williams give up only 2 runs in 1st start...we'll see...
    - Offense...Dunn, Kearns, Felipe, Freel, etc.

Negatives
    - BULLPEN
    Weathers and Coffey have been ok, but Hammond, Rick White and Belisle haven't been dependable at all so far.

I know, it's only 7 games and things could change drastically in the next 7, but this is my opinion over the first 7.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: 7 games in: What are you observations?

positives
    arroyo
    starting pitching
    felipe continueing from last year
    lineup

Negatives
    Bullpen
    Sometimes shaky defense and errors

Positive:
    -Starting pitching
    -Offense

Negative:
    -Defense, terrible so far, players are not calling balls and Adam Dunn has had several Wily Mo'esque adventures
    -Bullpen, it's really been pathetic to see some of these 4 to 5 runs leads become nail biters. I thought we were over that once Graves was gone.

Everything is obvious right now.

It's too early to say anything is surprising or disappointing.

I'll chime in with something significant in a month.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

speaking of Wily Mo, did you guys and gals see Wily's assist with a Toronto HR today?

Positives:
    Starting pitchers
    offense

Negative:
    bullpen

I have not given up on Belisle, but I honestly thing that the reds are less than 5 players away from being "serious" playoff contenders. Included in the 5 are a #1 starter, 2 mid-relievers, 1 closer, and another second baseman. J/K, my fifth change would be a rangy CF.

Ignoring my sad attempt at humor, getting a true #1 would bump the last rotation guy to the BP, upgrading that automatically. A true closer that would strike fear into the hearts of other teams would be nice, and would help catapult a mediocre bullpen to playoff-worthy. A defensive upgrade in CF would seem to help the pitching and could save the legs of Griffey Jr, with a move to somewhere else less-demanding.

I would then feel comfortable plugging a defensive guy like Phillips at second and letting him hit out of his funk, and helping to offset whoever gets bumped to 1B from the outfield.

Keeping all this in mind, I think the Reds are set for playoffs next year, and serious contention the following year. I know, I know, another 3-year-plan, but doesn't this seem a whole lot more feasible than anything OB or JB threw out there? (Or does the recent success Kool-Aid really taste so sweet that I am ignorant of a greater problem?)
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by GriffeyFan
    speaking of Wily Mo, did you guys and gals see Wily's assist with a Toronto HR today?
    Im not sure it was an assist....that thing would have gone out if he wasnt standing there. He should have caught it, but he didnt make it a home run, it was a home run if no one was there.

The 2 biggest positives for me have been Arroyo and Dunn. Forget the fluke HRs, but he has done an excellent job on the mound. And Dunn looks like a different hitter. Not as many Ks, hitting the ball to all fields, actually hitting a couple of SFs. He hit for a good avg in the minors, could this be the year?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

The bullpen has been the negative and I will agree the defense has been at times awful. But I think we are better than last year. How much I am not ready to say. The starters have done well, Harang (got squeezed in game 1), Arroyo and Milton in particular have have looked good. And the offense is actually better by the lesser guys getting timely hits. If that keeps up we should surprise.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Positives:
    Austin Kearns (.310 avg), Ryan Freel (5 steals in only 14 at bats), Adam Dunn (4 HR's, .417 avg), Bronson Arroyo (1.98 ERA in 13.2 innings, 11 K's, 0 BB's), Eric Milton (2.57 ERA in 7 innings, 3 K's, only 1 HR given up)

Negatives: Chris Hammond (72.00 ERA in 1.0 innings), Matt Belisle (9.00 ERA in 3.0 innings), Aaron Harang (8.49 ERA in 11.2 innings), overall defense (Dunn 2 errors, Encarnacion 2 errors)

Overall however, our starting pitching is much improved from last year, and our offense is unbelievable. If Busch Stadium III is considered a hitter's ballpark, I wonder how many runs we're going to put up there too?
    Last edited by BoCcc2832; 04-12-2006 at 12:28 AM.
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Im not sure it was an assist....that thing would have gone out if he wasnt standing there. He should have caught it, but he didnt make it a home run, it was a home run if no one was there.
    Actually, if my memory serves me correct, WMP did the EXACT same thing last year when we play @ Fenway.

Anybody else remember that?

It seems we all basically agree in general abuot needing to inmprove the defense and the bullpen. The information that is missing is; Was Dunn unhappy moving to first base? Did his move back to the outfield happen becauswe of his wishes? Same goes for Griffey Jr.... if he is unwilling to move out of centerfield, then what can we do (other than try to trade him, which is unfortunate in my opinion). Do any of you know about these two issues?

Playoff lineup, decent starting pitching, Little League bullpen.
    Last edited by guttle11; 04-12-2006 at 12:39 AM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Playoff lineup, decent starting pitching, Little League buulpen.
    You can fix a bullpen much easier then a rotation.

We are making progress.

Turn Off Ads?