Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What Is RSS Feed?

What Is RSS Feed?

One numerous websites that I go I get this little popup that says RSS Feed is available, click here to learn more and subscribe.

Anyone know what this is?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Is RSS Feed?

I've seen it also, GAC.
    Basically, I believe it is a browser plug-in which can list the headlines of the recent news on a site, new forum threads etc., and when you click on them, you can go right to the source.
    In other words, if you have this installed - and the site supports it - you can go to your bookmarks and see the headlines of new RedZone posts since you last visited - without even being at the site.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks. I did a "google" on it and have been kinda reading up on what it is. It is a portal of some sort for news, headlines, etc.

It's what you feed your RSS's to get them to grow.

Available in bulk down at the local feed and seed. Also saw it in the Burpee catalog.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker

Available in bulk down at the local feed and seed. Also saw it in the Burpee catalog.

So.... can I tell you to kiss my RSS on here?

What is RSS? The greatest thing ever!

Basically, it's a universally agreed on language that surrounds your content. Here's an example:

http://rss.cincinnati.com/feeds/rssenq05.xml

That feed updates every minute to add new stories as they are posted. You can see that every headline has a title tag around it every link has a link tag around it.. etc. Since everyone agrees that that's how all RSS feeds will look, it's easy to write scripts to grab the feeds and do stuff with them. Some examples:

1) I bought a program called NewsGator. It's a plugin for Outlook. If I subscribe to the feed above in NewsGator, I'll get an email every time theres a new story in that feed. The email will have the Title of the story, the summary and a link. I subscribe to tons of cool RSS feeds from Blogs to news sites.

2.) MyYahoo uses RSS feeds to allow you to put headlines from various sites on your page. It goes out, reads the RSS feed and then displays it on the page.

3.) An extreme example: Bungie (the software company) makes all of your online Halo 2 stats available through RSS. There is third party software that will read the feeds and create all sorts of charts and graphs plotting out your performance, strengths and weaknesses. Crazy.
    http://www.ohiosportsfans.com
    GREAT BENGALS FORUM!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker

Roy, great minds think alike. I don't know how many times I've had a witty remark to make about something, only to find that you beat me to the punch. You came up with something better than I would've, though.

Anybody using Netvibes or Pageflakes?
    Kebberfegg?

Hella tools.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

So.... is this RSS Feed something neat to have?

I'm assuming one could download it to try it.... and later uninstall it if they find it doesn't serve their purpose or find it useful?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

I'm assuming one could download it to try it.... and later uninstall it if they find it doesn't serve their purpose or find it useful?
    It's just a news feed. If you want news brought to you rather than having to go get it, then yes, it's worth it. Firefox can handle RSS natively. There are several other apps that can as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

GAC,
    Feeds are a component of content management on the web. I mentioned a coupla websites above- Netvibes and Pageflakes (as well as MyYahoo), which are basically tools that allow people to subscribe to feeds so that instead of visiting a website (like the New York Times Book Review), you can choose to just subscribe to the feed and have your browser, or some other tool retrieve the feeds and display them for you.
    Feeds show up more or less as the headlines of a post, or an article, a blog entry, etc.

There are straight rss readers, too, but my guess is that tools that allow you to integrate feeds with other things (like the first ten messages in your email inbox, links to online storage space, etc.) will be the way this goes.

Also, here is some info on aggregators.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 04-13-2006 at 09:08 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?