Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds minor league notes(Wednesday, April 12)

Reds minor league notes(Wednesday, April 12)

Jorgensen's homer gives Bats first win
    Special to The Courier-Journal

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Ryan Jorgensen homered to lead off the 10th inning, lifting the Louisville Bats to a 3-2 victory over the Syracuse SkyChiefs last night.

It was the first victory of the season for the Bats (1-4).

Louisville took a 2-0 lead with two out in the fourth inning on back-to-back RBI singles by Jacob Cruz and Jeff Bannon.

Justin Singleton homered with one out in the fifth to pull Syracuse within 2-1. John-Ford Griffin doubled home Wayne Lydon with two out in the eighth to tie it.

Jason Standridge (1-1) pitched 11/3 innings of hitless relief for the victory. He walked three and struck out one. Starter Josh Hall allowed one run and three hits in five innings, walking two and striking out two.

Jorgensen's homer was the only hit allowed by Lee Gronkiewicz (0-1) in two innings of work.

Frank Menechino had two of the Bats' eight hits, including a double.

The four-game series will continue today at 2 p.m. and wrap up tomorrow at 6 p.m.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...604120483/1036
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds minor league notes(Wednesday, April 12)

Blaze before fireworks

Lookouts beat Mudcats with ninth-inning rally
    By David Paschall Staff Writer

Who needs fireworks with these Chattanooga Lookouts?

There were the scheduled flashes and flares following Tuesday nightís home opener at BellSouth Park, but the Lookouts provided plenty of excitement moments earlier with a 4-3 comeback victory over the Carolina Mudcats.

Miguel Perez and Anderson Machado, neither of whom was hitting.150, had consecutive two-out RBI singles to rally the Lookouts before an announced crowd of 4,307. Machadoís shot to the gap in right-center off Chris Mobley easily scored Chris Dickerson from second, and the 25-yearold Venezuelan was quickly mobbed by teammates.

"This is one of the greatest feelings in my life," Machado said. "To have a game-winning hit is very emotional. I got off to a slow start, but Iím going to keep my head up and keep working."

Chattanooga needed 10 tries at BellSouth last year to knock off Carolina, but the Lookouts will not have to relive that nightmare. What they may get used to are sleepless nights.

The Lookouts are 4-2, and all six games have been decided by one or two runs.

"Iíll probably have to have a lot of medical and mental treatment after the yearís over, but I enjoy these," Lookouts manager Jayhawk Owens said. "Close games are when you learn a lot. Our last inning couldnít have happened on a better night, with it being opening night and for those two guys who didnít start out swinging the bats real hot. They won the game for us, and thatís something they can take with them over these next few games."

Also paving Chattanooga to victory was the bullpen trio of Carlos Guevara, Mike Nannini and Brock Till. They combined to allow one hit and no runs in 4 1 /3 innings.

Two notable newcomers were on Chattanoogaís roster Tuesday night, including pitcher Jung-Kim Bong, who got the start after arriving from high Single-A Sarasota. Bong spent last season on the disabled list, first recovering from September 2004 shoulder surgery and then suffering a broken left hand during his rehab assignment last June 13 in Sarasota.

Joining the team from Triple-A Louisville was outfielder Alex Sanchez, who played in center Tuesday and led off the sixth with a solo homer to right that got the Lookouts within 3-2. The 29-year-old is a career.296 big-league hitter in 427 games with Milwaukee, Detroit, Tampa Bay and San Francisco.

Last April, Sanchez was briefly one of the sportís most recognized names when he became the first player saddled with a 10-game suspension in Major League Baseballís steroids ban. Sanchez has maintained he took an over-thecounter supplement, but the suspension cost him $32,787 of his $600,000 contract with the Devil Rays.

"I left everything behind me," Sanchez said Tuesday night. "Itís a new year, so Iím going to go forward. Iím going to try and do my best to help this team."

The Reds signed Sanchez, who left his native Cuba by raft in the summer of 1994 and spent 16 months at a Guantanamo Bay refugee camp, during the last week of spring training.

"Heís doing it in a class way for the Cincinnati Reds right now, and thatís all that we ask of him," Owens said. "I hope heís not here long. I hope he gets back to the big leagues. While heís here, he can rub off on some guys in a good way."

With the exception of Perez and first baseman Joey Votto, two 22-year-olds ranked among Cincinnatiís top 10 prospects, the Lookouts had a starting lineup of position players averaging 26 years and four months of age.

Sanchez joined the roster when center fielder Rick Asadoorian (ribs) was put on the disabled list.

Travis Chick (0-0, 5.40 ERA) is scheduled to start todayís game for the Lookouts, while Adam Bostick (0-1, 4.90) is scheduled for the Mudcats.

E-mail David Paschall at dpaschall@timesfreepress.com

http://www.tfponline.com/QuickHeadli...26ID%3DAr03000
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Jeff Stevens is joining the Dragons today. I wonder why he started in extended spring training in the first place? Stevens pitched well in Billings last year after being drafted in the 6th round out of LMU: 54.1 innings, 44 hits, 4 homeruns, 15 walks, 58 strikeouts, 2.98 ERA, and 1.09 WHIP.

Dragons' pitching holds off Lugnuts
    By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

DAYTON | On a Tuesday night when good pitching carried the day for the Dayton Dragons, there also was some bad news for two other pitchers.

It all signaled an attitude the parent Reds want to win here, and aren't going to pass around a lot of chances.

Starter Travis Wood was excellent, allowing four hits and no runs while striking out 10 over five innings, and picked up the victory when his teammates scored two in the fifth, the first on a leadoff Eric Eymann homer in what became a 2-1 decision over the Lansing Lugnuts at Fifth Third Field.

Russell Haltiwanger followed Wood and Zac Stott gained his second save and has not allowed a run in three outings.

The word was not as good for relievers Andy Weimer ó who was sent back to extended spring training ó and German Melendez, who was released. Pitchers Bo Lanier and Jeff Stevens will join the team from extended spring training today.

"We want to put the best ballclub out there night after night," Dragons manager Billy Gardner Jr. said.

Reds assistant director of development Grant Griesser helped Gardner tell Weimer and Melendez. Weimer pitched in two games, allowing seven runs, three earned, in three innings. Melendez, a converted catcher, pitched in two games, allowing five earned runs in 12/3 innings.

All that was in marked contrast to Wood.

"I felt calm and more relaxed (than in the opener)," Wood said. "Tonight I knew I had to get the job done."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...12dragons.html

2 former Dragons suspended for drugs
    By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

DAYTON | Four minor-league players were suspended by baseball Tuesday for drug abuse, two of them in the Reds' system, both former Dayton Dragons pitchers.

Ramon Ramirez, 23, 5-7 with a 4.50 ERA with the Dragons last year, was cited for using a "performance enhancing substance," while Justin Mallett, 24, was cited for using a "drug of abuse." Mallett was 4-5 with a 4.02 ERA with the '04 Dragons.

Both began this season with the "high" Class A Sarasota Reds, and both were suspended 50 games without pay after positive drug tests at spring training.

"They know about the rules," said Grant Griesser, Reds assistant director of development. "They know they're not going to get paid, and it will affect their careers."

Said Dragons' pitching coach Larry Pierson of Mallett: "He's a good kid who made a bad decision." Pierson also said he was surprised to hear about Ramirez.

Minor-leaguers are randomly tested up to three times each year.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...agonsside.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Nice to see Bong back in action.

Line was 4 2/3, 7 hits, 3 ER's, 1 BB, 4 K's

That Louisville write up was horrible. Didnt mention tht Josh Hall started and went 5 innings giving up just a solo home run. I listened to the Dragons game until Wood left the game, he was impressive last night. I am also curious as to why Stevens was in extended spring training....maybe he had a slight setback and didnt get in enough work before they broke camp and hung around a week to get it in? I wonder when he will get his first start.

Ugh - reading about the Reds minor leaguers (not named Bruce, Bailey or Wood) makes me sad.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Ugh - reading about the Reds minor leaguers (not named Bruce, Bailey or Wood) makes me sad.
    Buck up little camper.

Joey Votto (Chatt): .348 BA/.400 OBP/.870 SLG
    Adam Rosales (Sarasota): .286 BA/.400 OBP/.524 SLG

And then there's uh...Phil Dumatrait (Chatt) pitched 6 Innings of one hit ball?

Um...that's about it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Buck up little camper.

Joey Votto (Chatt): .348 BA/.400 OBP/.870 SLG
    Adam Rosales (Sarasota): .286 BA/.400 OBP/.524 SLG

And then there's uh...Phil Dumatrait (Chatt) pitched 6 Innings of one hit ball?

Um...that's about it.
    That's supposed to cheer us up? Three more names?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I haven't heard anything yet from Richie Gardner or Thomas Pauly. Are they in extended ST, also?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    That Louisville write up was horrible. Didnt mention tht Josh Hall started and went 5 innings giving up just a solo home run. I listened to the Dragons game until Wood left the game, he was impressive last night. I am also curious as to why Stevens was in extended spring training....maybe he had a slight setback and didnt get in enough work before they broke camp and hung around a week to get it in? I wonder when he will get his first start.
    Starter Josh Hall allowed one run and three hits in five innings, walking two and striking out two.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

With the exception of Perez and first baseman Joey Votto, two 22-year-olds ranked among Cincinnati’s top 10 prospects, the Lookouts had a starting lineup of position players averaging 26 years and four months of age.

That is what I call sad folks. Hopefully we can get an infusion of young blood in here.

Ramon Ramirez, 23, 5-7 with a 4.50 ERA with the Dragons last year, was cited for using a "performance enhancing substance," while Justin Mallett, 24, was cited for using a "drug of abuse." Mallett was 4-5 with a 4.02 ERA with the '04 Dragons.

Both began this season with the "high" Class A Sarasota Reds, and both were suspended 50 games without pay after positive drug tests at spring training.
    Mallett, at least, seems to have totally misunderstood the concept of a "high" class A league...

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    That's supposed to cheer us up? Three more names?
    You'll take three and you'll LIKE IT!

Turn Off Ads?