Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New appreciation for Marty B.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

New appreciation for Marty B.

I have always liked Marty, I just get very annoyed when someone walks in the booth, and he starts talking about golf, or one of those "you had to be there to understand" stories.

Well, yesterday I was forced to listen to the Cubs radio guys on XM. Holy Cow, they suck. Ron Santo is a complete moron, and while the other guy is just plain bad.

So, I have a new found appreciation for Marty, even with his "stories".
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: New appreciation for Marty B.

Santo can be pure comedy - especially after the game. You honestly fear he's going to hurt himself after some of those homers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This week get a listen if you can to Mike Shannon - there's another one for you that might be Marty B.-like

Also - late at night, sometime in my car - you can get the "far off" teams. The Yankees are down right horrendous & the Mets aren't much better. Tom Hamilton of the Indians does a pretty good job, but gets a little too emotional and listening to Mike Hegan is like watching the paint dry. I'm actually impressed with Rick Manning.

As much as I disagree with Marty sometimes - I'm glad I have him to discuss the game and the other stuff. There are a ton of worse radio announcers out there.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The Mets team isn't too bad. Not very exciting.

Sterling (Yankees) is a clown, but highly entertaining. Poor Suzyn Waldman only gets to do commercials for 9 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I have always liked Marty, I just get very annoyed when someone walks in the booth, and he starts talking about golf, or one of those "you had to be there to understand" stories.

Well, yesterday I was forced to listen to the Cubs radio guys on XM. Holy Cow, they suck. Ron Santo is a complete moron, and while the other guy is just plain bad.

So, I have a new found appreciation for Marty, even with his "stories".
    I've been as rough on Marty as anyone here. I could care less about his stories and he doesn't have to be so critical of players. But the only thing Santo is good for is comedy i.e. when the Cubs are getting beat. I have been forced to listen to that moron too many times when the Reds were playing the Cubs. Of course a game like yesterday would be golden. One Saturday afternoon I was driving on the backroads of eastern Illinois trying to get back to I-74. The Cubs were playing the Sox in the Cell that day and I was listening to it on the radio. I think the Sox were ahead by a run or two about the middle of the game. Then the Sox just broke out that inning and scored several runs. Santo was just dying and it was hilarious. The Cubs were playing lousy so that just added to his ire. The Sox scored another run and the PA started playing some song on the organ - not sure if it was Na Na, Hey Hey - but Santo just exploded and said, "Aw, shut up!" I about drove my car off the road I was laughing so hard. He barely spoke the rest of the game and accused Pat Hughes of cheating on their little Guess the Attendence game when Hughes won.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It was pretty funny when the Reds kept hitting HRs and the Cubs couldn't get anything going. I think Santo had to keep it together though because he was singing the 7th Inning stretch. I didn't get to hear much after that because I had to go to class.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Why is it that we, as fans, can be critical of players (and man are we ever!)... but someone like Marty cannot?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Why is it that we, as fans, can be critical of players (and man are we ever!)... but someone like Marty cannot?
    Because Marty represents the team and has a duty to promote the product. Sometimes he doesn't fully understand the product (Dunn). Sometimes he really doesn't understand (Aurilia). And that lack of understanding hurts the Reds with the public. The man thinks he's bigger than the team.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    He can, its just not always valid and often is stuff that should be left in the clubhouse, like calling WMP the laziest player that he's ever seen. He should leave his criticism to performance issues, but often it is obvious that it is more personal than anything.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I don't mind the criticism. If someone makes an error or doesn't hustle or screws up, he has every right to be critical. But there is being critical and there's being overly critical. Say it was a bad play and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Because Marty represents the team and has a duty to promote the product. Sometimes he doesn't fully understand the product (Dunn). Sometimes he really doesn't understand (Aurilia). And that lack of understanding hurts the Reds with the public. The man thinks he's bigger than the team.
    Yes and no. Marty is one of the public "faces" of the Reds, but he isn't paid to be a homer. I have some problems with Marty, to be sure, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that Marty's criticisms were "hurting the Reds" with the public. Years of consistent losing and management ineptitude have done far, far more to tarnish the team's public image than anything Marty might spout off about during the course of a game.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I don't mind the criticism. If someone makes an error or doesn't hustle or screws up, he has every right to be critical. But there is being critical and there's being overly critical. Say it was a bad play and move on.
    That sums it up for me. Marty's great when he's doing play-by-play. Unfortunately, he will sometimes pontificate about poor play and let the game go by the wayside. We know Adam Dunn strikes out a lot. We also know the defense isn't the best. Harping about it while there's action on the field does nothing to endear you to people who tuned in to hear the game. Why not call the game and then give us your opinion of the way it was played in the post-game wrap up?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I would have loved to hear Santo's reaction after EE's slam.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

Funny you mention that Chip - in the Rhodes/Erardi book on the BRM, Marty said that Dick Wagner would tell him the same thing as you mentioned. Marty said that he didn't think that was right.

Marty's much better when the Reds are winning. (Aren't we all?)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Funny you mention that Chip - in the Rhodes/Erardi book on the BRM, Marty said that Dick Wagner would tell him the same thing as you mentioned. Marty said that he didn't think that was right.

Marty's much better when the Reds are winning. (Aren't we all?)
    I sure didn't like him as a GM but he was great at marketing the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?