Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chicago Tribune on Six Homer Game

Chicago Tribune on Six Homer Game

I always like to get the take from the other team's media after a game. Here's today's story in the Chicago Tribune - less than thrilled, to say the least:

Reds belt 6 home runs

By Dave van Dyck
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published April 11, 2006, 10:43 PM CDT

Some days you lose, and then there are days like the Cubs had Tuesday at Wrigley Field.

Oh, they lost all right, 9-2 to the Reds. You might even say they were blown away, given Cincinnati's six home runs on the first day when the Wrigley Field flags were pointing straight out.

Then there is the problem of what to do with starter Glendon Rusch (0-2), who was shelled for four runs in five innings and left with an ERA of 8.00.

Then there is the question of how the Reds could hit six home runs (the one-game record against the Cubs is seven) and the Cubs only one.

And don't forget the issue of the leg injuries to right fielder Jacque Jones and third baseman Aramis Ramirez.

If it weren't for catcher Michael Barrett, who hit his third home run in as many games, Tuesday would have been one of those days when it would have been better to have a rainout.

As it was, the Cubs were forced to play and face Bronson Arroyo as the opposing pitcher.

For the second time in less than a week, Arroyo shut down the Cubs and hit a home run, onto Waveland Avenue no less, off Rusch. It marked the first time a pitcher had hit two homers off the same Cubs pitcher in a season since Walt Terrell victimized Ferguson Jenkins in 1983.

"I don't have anything [prophetic] for you," Rusch said. "He got two pitches and he hit them good. Other than that, there's nothing I can say."

Well, how about the wind?

"It's irrelevant," Rusch said, "because if the elements play that much into the [outcome], look at the way Arroyo threw the ball. He threw seven shutout innings on the same mound and the same field I did. So you have to give him credit for throwing the ball well, and I didn't throw good pitches."

So what will the Cubs do with Rusch, who allowed solo homers in each of the first four innings to Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Arroyo and Dunn again? Does he come out of the rotation for one of the Triple-A kids?

"At this point we're a little thin," Baker said, "so we'll stick with him. It would be different if we didn't know what he could do. But we've seen what he can do. It's just that both [losses] have come against a team that hit him pretty good."

Rusch, whose first ground-ball out was in the fourth inning, was pulled after five, but Will Ohman was even worse, giving up two hits, a walk, a grand slam and a solo homer before Baker spared him a further round of booing.

On the positive side, relievers Michael Wuertz and Jerome Williams each pitched two scoreless innings. But by then the Reds' sluggers may have been worn out.

Meanwhile, the Cubs didn't score until the eighth when Derrek Lee doubled home Todd Walker. They added Barrett's solo shot in the ninth.

As for the injuries, neither appears to require a visit to the disabled list, although Jones did have an MRI on his left hamstring.

In other words it was one of those completely lost days for the 36,708 wind-blown fans at Wrigley Field, who actually got to see something unusual.

"They say if you stay in baseball you see a lot of firsts, but that's the first time I've seen four solo home runs in each of the first four innings," said Baker, who has been a part of more than 5,000 games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chicago Tribune on Six Homer Game

And from the Chicago Sun-Times:

Homer, sweet homer for Reds

April 12, 2006

BY MIKE KILEY Staff Reporter

Left-hander Glendon Rusch was supposed to be one of the bridges that carried the Cubs over troubled waters until Kerry Wood and Mark Prior complete their rehabilitation from injured right shoulders.

Instead, that bridge is sagging, weighed down by an 0-2 record and an 8.00 ERA.

The Cincinnati Reds have hammered Rusch twice this season, the latest a 9-2 slamfest Tuesday at Wrigley Field in which the Reds hit four solo home runs against Rusch in the first four innings -- including two by Adam Dunn -- and finished with six homers against Cubs pitching.

"Just a sad day on the pitching side,'' manager Dusty Baker said.

Injuries also intruded on what had been an optimistic start for the Cubs. Right fielder Jacque Jones left with a strained left hamstring that trainer Mark O'Neal hoped was moderate, and third baseman Aramis Ramirez took himself out late in the game with a sore left hamstring.

"We certainly don't need to start having this now,'' Baker said.

Ramirez said he will determine this morning whether he can play today. Neifi Perez is the likely backup.

"We'll see when I come in,'' Ramirez said. "There was a little pain when I swung the bat. First time it ever happened to me, especially on a swing. But I'm all right.''

Jones is likely to miss some time and will be replaced today by Angel Pagan. The Cubs were awaiting MRI results to determine the severity of the strain. They didn't consider it serious enough to be a disabled-list possibility unless the MRI proves otherwise.

"It happened on a play he was backing up Juan Pierre on one of the homers,'' O'Neal said. "I'm not anticipating [a DL move]. Aramis over-rotated on his front hip on one of his swings.''

While the wind was blowing out, Baker refused to offer that as an excuse for Rusch, who gave up four runs in four innings in an 8-6 loss last week to the Reds.

"Other than the second home run by Dunn, the rest were legitimate,'' Baker said. "He missed location all day. That's the first time I have seen four solo home runs in each of the first four innings.''

Things got even worse after Rusch departed. Reliever Will Ohman served up a grand slam to Edwin Encarnacion and a solo homer to Austin Kearns without getting an out in the sixth. The back-to-back blasts gave the Reds a 9-0 lead.

Pitching prospects Angel Guzman and Rich Hill are a phone call away at Class AAA Iowa, and both are off to strong starts. Rusch is likely to get another chance, but he can't continue to have these results and stay in the rotation for long.

"We'll stick with him,'' Baker said. "At this point, we are a little thin. It'd be different if we didn't know what he could do.''

Reds starter Bronson Arroyo will have a special place in his heart for Rusch for the rest of his career. Arroyo (2-0) not only has outpitched Rusch twice this season, but he also has homered twice against him.

"I couldn't believe where that pitch was,'' Arroyo said of his shot to left on a 2-2 count to open the third inning.

Like Baker, Rusch downplayed the wind.

"It's irrelevant,'' he said. "Look at the way Arroyo threw the ball -- seven shutout innings. Same mound, same field.''

Unlike Rusch, Arroyo consistently kept his pitches down.

"I had a better sinker than ever,'' Arroyo said.

Catcher Michael Barrett hit a solo homer in the ninth after Arroyo had departed.

"He may be a guy we need to see a few times before we get used to him,'' Barrett said. "You don't see a lot of guys using their breaking ball this early. He uses more breaking balls than anything else.''

It put a definite crack in the Cubs' start.

Thanks. I enjoy reading the opposing team's views as well.

It would be a shame if Neffi Perez had to start in place of Aramis Ramirez today. Of course we'll have his doppelganger leading off for us today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

For a split second a misread Dusty's quote. Of course he didn't call us a good team. He said we "hit them good". I don't like dusty.

On the positive side, relievers Michael Wuertz and Jerome Williams each pitched two scoreless innings. But by then the Reds' sluggers may have been worn out.
    Nice
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

"At this point we're a little thin," Baker said, "so we'll stick with him. It would be different if we didn't know what he could do. But we've seen what he can do. It's just that both (losses) have come against a team that hit him pretty good."
    That's when the losses usually come, big guy.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    For a split second a misread Dusty's quote. Of course he didn't call us a good team. He said we "hit them good". I don't like dusty.
    So imagine what a "good" team will do to them.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Haha I love it.

I hate the Cubs and my good mood will continue at least until the first pitch of today's game.

I would look for Dusty to be fired sometime this Summer, except that the Cubs aren't a good organization and will hang onto him for much longer, until he can wear down Zambrano's arm as well.

Today's game is fairly important for the Reds. A win makes me believe they can be in the thick of it, even with their bullpen woes and multiple 2b issues.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    I hate the Cubs and my good mood will continue at least until the first pitch of today's game.

I would look for Dusty to be fired sometime this Summer, except that the Cubs aren't a good organization and will hang onto him for much longer, until he can wear down Zambrano's arm as well.

Today's game is fairly important for the Reds. A win makes me believe they can be in the thick of it, even with their bullpen woes and multiple 2b issues.
    Ehh not if we go get swept by the Cardinals. If we can split this road trip (or even take 4-6 ) then I will start to believe we can stay in it.

Beating up on the weak Cubby pitching doesn't make me believe, however being a Chicagoin I am enjoying it very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    Derrek Lee is doing his part to keep Dusty around. This is from today's Chicago Sun-Times.

"Dusty was one of the main reasons I was excited to come here,'' Lee said. "He's one of the best managers in the game. He's so easy to play for and supports his players so much. This team deserves Dusty, so hopefully we can get it worked out where he can be here for a while.''

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Derrek Lee is doing his part to keep Dusty around. This is from today's Chicago Sun-Times.

"Dusty was one of the main reasons I was excited to come here,'' Lee said. "He's one of the best managers in the game. He's so easy to play for and supports his players so much. This team deserves Dusty, so hopefully we can get it worked out where he can be here for a while.''
    Good, now the Cubs can suck longer.

This team deserves Dusty
    I couldn't agree more.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Deserves him?

What did the poor cubs do?
    Go Gators!