Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insane stat

Insane stat

In 14 ABs this season, Freel has drawn 8 BBs.

Discuss.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Insane stat

Bat Dunn second
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

Discuss.
    I like it. It is proving he is way more valuable than what some think. Plus his stolen bases are huge at this point.

Maybe they will change the On base stat to the Ryan Freel stat.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

Discuss.
    The reason Freel is not in the line-up EVERY SINGLE DAY is??? He is a on base machine. I don't get it. He has to play, period.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I loved that 10-pitch AB today. Even though he saw his BA drop a good deal today, he still got on base at a .400 clip for the game and worked the Cubs' pitching. He is a catalyst in so many ways, I find it beyond ridiculous that he isn't starting every game at this point.

His steals are just icing on the cake at this point. Even when he isn't stealing, he's distracting opposing pitchers, which is always a good thing. I really think he helps our other hitters in that regard and I think they like swinging the bat with him on base in front of them. In fact, I believe Lopez made a comment saying as much.

I would start him 5 out of 7 games. He will wear himself down if he plays every game.

I don't believe you only start Freel some of the time over fear of the unknown. Let him play. If he starts to wear down, sit him. Otherwise, just let the guy play.

No I think you sit him in games where you can not ones where you have to. There are 162 games and if Freel plays in 100 that count its better than playing him in the first 100 and have him on the DL for the rest of the season.

I'd rather he play in 150.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I don't believe you only start Freel some of the time over fear of the unknown. Let him play. If he starts to wear down, sit him. Otherwise, just let the guy play.
    I dont think this is unknown. Freel does wear down. It has happened it probably would again. Plus, it's not like he isn't valuable when he doesn't start. He came in off the bench on Sunday, walked and scored. It's not like other players that are only good when they start. He is very valuable off the bench too. Of course I would like to start him a lot, but I would rather have a healthy Freel at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I'd rather he play in 150.
    Of course we all would, I just don't think that will happen if he starts 80 of 82 games...

Freel's style of play can cause him to get injured, but I don't think you give him days off because of that fear.

That seems very "Dan O'Brien-like" to me. A fear of what COULD happen and a lack of action as a result. This team hasn't been run aggressively enough in recent years and it's time to change, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I dont think this is unknown. Freel does wear down. It has happened it probably would again. Plus, it's not like he isn't valuable when he doesn't start. He came in off the bench on Sunday, walked and scored. It's not like other players that are only good when they start. He is very valuable off the bench too. Of course I would like to start him a lot, but I would rather have a healthy Freel at the end of the season.
    Where do you get this idea from? Freel had more at bats in September of '05 than in any other month. The same was true in 2004. If he was worn down, why so many at bats?

I understand he was valuable off of the bench on Sunday, but why does that mean he wouldn't have been much more valuable if he had started? If he walked and scored in one plate appearance, wouldn't he be more valuable if he could do that in 4 or 5?

I don't understand all of this "we have to save Freel from himself" rhetoric. It's not based in reality, and it has the potential to lose games for this team.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

But why? chances are at the end of the season we'll be 20 games back, our only chance to stay in it is to play our best players as much as possible.
    Go Gators!

Can he be stopped?

I think freel right now is projected to slug .727 without ever hitting a homer and to steal 161 bases. Thats why first week stats mean crap... however, I love freel and he needs more ABs!

Turn Off Ads?