Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Javascript

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Javascript

Ok. I've been trying to use ESPN's Gamecast, and it keeps telling me that either my browser (which is IE) doe not support Javascript, or I do not have the Flash plug-in installed.

I have the current version of Java(Sun) installed, and it is "checked" in Internet Properties.

I uninstalled it, and then went to the java site and re-installed it, yet have the same problem.

And suggestions would be helpful.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Re: Javascript

java is not the same thing as javascript.

Does your browser have script blocking capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    java is not the same thing as javascript.

Does your browser have script blocking capabilities?
    How do I find out? it's IE. This is a brand new computer ochre.

I just went into my advanced section on Internet Options and there no longer is a section for Java (Sun). It was there before. I uninstalled it, and then went to www.java.com and reinstalled it, thinking this might fix the problem. But it is not showing up.

Also (maybe it's unrelated)... I noticed in the Browsing section that "Disable Script debugging" is checked. Does that matter?

I am trying to read up on what javascript is. It's scripting language used to improve the design, validate forms, detect browsers, create cookies, and much more.

Is it something I need to download?

Also - will a popup blocker screw with it?
    Last edited by GAC; 04-12-2006 at 08:36 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    How do I find out? it's IE. This is a brand new computer ochre.

I just went into my advanced section on Internet Options and there no longer is a section for Java (Sun). It was there before. I uninstalled it, and then went to www.java.com and reinstalled it. But it is not showing up.

Also (maybe it's unrelated)... I noticed in the Browsing section that "Disable Script debugging" is checked. Does that matter?

I am trying to read up on what javascript is. It's scripting language used to improve the design, validate forms, detect browsers, create cookies, and much more.

Is it something I need to download?

Also - will a popup blocker screw with it?
    Yes, many popup windows are invoked from javascript. Again, java and javascript are not really related. Your popup blocker might be causing the problem.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Don't know about the pop-up blocker... sounds like you're getting an error message rather than just having nothing happen. What's the sequence of events, exactly? Depending on whether the GameCast window opens at all... if it won't open at all, then maybe it's a Javascript/pop-up blocking problem. If it opens but won't load, then your Flash plug-in is probably missing or out of date.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Don't know about the pop-up blocker... sounds like you're getting an error message rather than just having nothing happen. What's the sequence of events, exactly? Depending on whether the GameCast window opens at all... if it won't open at all, then maybe it's a Javascript/pop-up blocking problem. If it opens but won't load, then your Flash plug-in is probably missing or out of date.
    When I click on Gamecast I get a black screen with the message that says - either the Flash plugin is not installed or my browser does not support javascript (which I find hard to believe, since it's IE).

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    When I click on Gamecast I get a black screen with the message that says - either the Flash plugin is not installed or my browser does not support javascript (which I find hard to believe, since it's IE).
    Black screen = new popup window?

My guess is a Flash problem of sorts. Can you go to other sites using Flash (just pulling an example out of thin air, say cbs.com) and see the Flash content?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Black screen = new popup window?
    Yep

My guess is a Flash problem of sorts. Can you go to other sites using Flash (just pulling an example out of thin air, say cbs.com) and see the Flash content?
    I went to CBSSportsline and after allowing popups, it allows the Game Tracker to come up.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-14-2006 at 03:37 AM.

GAC first go get firefox, and see if you still have the problem. www.mozilla.org

if it works in firefox, the IE is configured wrong somehow.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    GAC first go get firefox, and see if you still have the problem. www.mozilla.org

if it works in firefox, the IE is configured wrong somehow.
    It works on Firefox. It first told me that I needed a plug-in. And then allowed me to install it (Macromedia). Works fine with Firefox.

So I went and installed the Macromedia Flash player on IE, but still having the same problem.

I also turned off the pop-up blocker that came with the IE browser.

my suggestion is to just use firefox. It's a better browser anyway. you can get an extension that will allow it to emulate IE. I mean if you really need that.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    my suggestion is to just use firefox. It's a better browser anyway. you can get an extension that will allow it to emulate IE. I mean if you really need that.
    Well, now that he has Firefox, yeah, use that. While I prefer Firefox, I generally don't give "change your browser" as the first answer...

GAC, I just noticed that the ESPN Gamecast (the Flash version) is labeled "beta." So it may not be your computer specifically.

Thanks for all your assistance guys.

I just bought this computer and was using the Maxthon browser (which integrates with IE); but I've decided to use Firefox.

I don't make Firefox my default browser, that way I have the option. Plus, my wife uses this computer (MSN Gaming Zone), and she has enough trouble with IE.... Firefox would simply confuse her!

So, as long as I can get it with FF, then that is fine with me.

There is an extension for making firefox behave like IE. it's pretty handy.

Turn Off Ads?