Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Just to let everyone know, besides the time he was hitting, he spent all of BP standing at third working on his defense.
    I think its time for a redszone.com collection to get this boy an EdE jersey.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I think its time for a redszone.com collection to get this boy an EdE jersey.
    I was just saying.

He was the only one doing it the entire time, but BP did alot of work, and Felipe and RA did some.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    We would have a serious offensive outage if EE sits Thursday.

Now watch he will sit and we will score 8 runs.

You called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski
    You called it.

Here's a follow up on my rant from last night.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=col

PHOENIX -- Colorado manager Clint Hurdle issued his first punitive benchings of the season on Thursday night at Arizona, with the main target being left fielder Matt Holliday for costing his team a run with lax baserunning in Wednesday night's 5-4 loss to the Diamondbacks.
    Holliday slowed up just before reaching the plate from second on a bases-loaded single. His run didn't count because he didn't get there before the third out occurred at third base. The player that made the faulty baserunning read that led to the out, catcher Danny Ardoin, also arrived to see his name not in the lineup on Thursday night.

Hurdle admitted making a mistake by not sitting center fielder Cory Sullivan when the outfielder got himself picked off first base, with Todd Helton on deck, for the final out of a two-run loss at home to the Diamondbacks last week.

Ardoin entered the day 2-for-20, so not starting him is at least as strategic as anything else. But Holliday is considered a cornerstone of the lineup.

"There come certain situations where I think a manager has an opportunity to make a statement to his team," Hurdle said. "I might have missed one with Sullivan earlier in the season. That kind of falls in the same line of what happened last night, and I just wasn't going to let it go any further.

"Let these guys know that when we don't finish plays ... it basically comes down to a shortage of effort. We're going to make physical mistakes. I'm going to make wrong decisions. Bad judgment comes into play. There are a lot of gray areas. You want the punishment to fit the crime, and in this case, I needed to make a statement to the club."

Holliday, who has struggled while compiling a .242 batting average with one home run and five RBIs in seven appearances, was clearly unhappy after meeting with Hurdle on Thursday afternoon. The previous night, Holliday said he thought he reached the plate before Ardoin was tagged, but split-screen TV replays showed him slowing up well before the plate. Television analysts for both clubs criticized Holliday.

"It doesn't matter," Holliday said when asked if he'd seen a replay. "You can analyze the game any way you want."

Hurdle said he was watching Ardoin at the time and hadn't seen the play for himself, but he took the advice of those he trusts.

Hurdle has been calm and even keeled in handling his club, which is a year removed from being dominated by rookies. The approach has worked this road trip. After losing two of three at home to start the season, the Rockies will return home on Friday with a winning record on the six-game road trip, which ends on Thursday.

However, he has expressed ire at mistakes of omission and poor execution, such as pitcher Aaron Cook walking toward the dugout after only the second out of the first inning of his first start, and when Clint Barmes was unable to get a bunt down in three chances in San Diego. This time, he spoke with his pen while filling out the lineup card.

"It's unfortunate it's Matt," Hurdle said. "But those kind of errors in judgment ... we're not last year's team. We're not going to be last year's team. We are not going to keep continuing to call guys in and just say, 'Don't do this again.'

"This won't be acceptable, no matter who it is. I'm going to set the bar, and I'm going to hold the bar."

EDITED TO ADD: Holliday got a pinch hit double in the 9th inning. He scored on a double by Barmes.
    Last edited by Reds Nd2; 04-14-2006 at 12:29 AM.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?