Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Ace, Go Away - American Idol

Re: Please Ace, Go Away - American Idol

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Michael, I wondered if you knew that AI was dedicated to Queen last week.
    Was hard to ignore on the various Queen forums. Ha.

It's obvious that Paula is struggling for words every time she opens her mouth. She often says very foolish things, and this was a classic. I just had to laugh. Yep, ol' Freddie coulda never pulled that song off like Chris Creed can.
    She really is dead weight. There's just no other way to put it. Completely useless.

Do you say that because you think they have that much ability to sway the public's opinion, or because you suspect the voting isn't legitimate? I have some suspicions about this show (even though I enjoy it a lot), and the vote counting is one of them.
    Well it's pretty clear they edit the show in a certain way to either make someone look good or look bad. I know this happens often with "reality" show but Idol is supposed to be a competition where the winner gets a real shot at becoming a music star so trying to make someone look bad in the hopes they get fewer votes becomes far more insidious in this case. While I do not like wussy boy Ace, the show's producers clearly decided on showing him as something of a tool in his meeting with Queen. Brian May (on his web site, www.brianmay.com) explains what REALLY happened during their meeting and how the show edited it to make it look like something else entirely. I'd suggest ya'll read it.

You know, as I was watching the show Tuesday night, I came to realize how unique Queen really was. Most artists, even the great ones, can be duplicated. I'm not sure this one ever will be. It was a good show, though, and I suspect that a new generation was introduced to Queen this past week that would not have been otherwise.
    Well, I think the band's decision to NOT perform on the show might have hurt the basic idea for them even being involved in the first place, increased album sales and the like. Their new compilation, "Stone Cold Classics", which was released specifically because of the Idol show, got mentioned exactly once on the Tuesday show and then for only a few seconds. We won't know for sure until next week's Billboard charts are released but I suspect Queen will not have benefitted as much as other artists have (like Kenny Rogers.)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well it's pretty clear they edit the show in a certain way to either make someone look good or look bad. I know this happens often with "reality" show but Idol is supposed to be a competition where the winner gets a real shot at becoming a music star so trying to make someone look bad in the hopes they get fewer votes becomes far more insidious in this case. While I do not like wussy boy Ace, the show's producers clearly decided on showing him as something of a tool in his meeting with Queen. Brian May (on his web site, www.brianmay.com) explains what REALLY happened during their meeting and how the show edited it to make it look like something else entirely. I'd suggest ya'll read it.
    Interesting, and it makes sense. It is obvious that the show promotes certain contestants while seemingly ignoring others. Case in point: while they were showering us with Kellie Pickler's story, they were completely ignoring Gideon McKinney's story. (Gideon was the kid in the final 24 with the really big smile.) I don't remember every detail of his story, but it was along the lines that his planned audition was cancelled by Katrina, then he spent every penny he had to fly to Chicago to audtion, then his father passed away somewhere in the midst of all of this. AI told us none of this, or at least I didn't see it.

Well, I think the band's decision to NOT perform on the show might have hurt the basic idea for them even being involved in the first place, increased album sales and the like. Their new compilation, "Stone Cold Classics", which was released specifically because of the Idol show, got mentioned exactly once on the Tuesday show and then for only a few seconds. We won't know for sure until next week's Billboard charts are released but I suspect Queen will not have benefitted as much as other artists have (like Kenny Rogers.)
    They may have lost an opportunity, but maybe not completely. My wife (who was born 1977) made the comment during the show that she really liked all that music, but didn't know the name of the band that sung it. She said she'd like to have some of their stuff on CD. I have it all already, but had I not, she might very well have gone out and bought a greatest hits mix just based on hearing the songs and realizing they were all from the same band.

While we're on the subject of Queen, I guess this is as good a thread as any to share how I came to appreciate them in the first place. I first started buying albums and listening to Top 40 radio about the time that "The Game" album came out and "Another One..." was a big hit. I bought that LP and was pleasantly surprised. There's no telling how many times spun "Sail Away Sweet Sister", "Save Me", and the rest of the tracks on that album. Anyway, I soon after discovered Live Killers, and found that it dominated my turntable about as much as The Game had. This music was unlike anything I had heard, to be sure, but little did I know that it would be just as unique and sound just as good 25 years later. I can't say that about much of the other stuff I bought in those days. The band's music was a great alternative to the stuff on the radio in 1981 and is even more valuable in that role today.

Sorry to pull this thread away from its original subject of AI, btw.

since this episode aired, everytime i listen to Savatage while i'm at work i get asked if i'm listening to Queen.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    You say "common charm", I say her complete and total idiocy. Jessica Simpson looks like Einstein compared to her.
    You misplaced my quotes. I agree with you. I said common "charm" which I meant as "blatherings of an idiot".

But AI is packaging her better and better each week. For a long time, I thought she was eventually going to be toast. Now I'm not so sure. I think she has a very real chance of winning the whole thing.

I don't doubt the actual voting count is legit, but AI can very definitely manipulate who gets votes by what order they perform in, what kind of musical arrangements they get, and I think Randy/Paula/Simon get together beforehand and decide who is going to get pimped up and who is going to get torn apart.

Pay attention to the open sky

I so hope this week is the last for him

Me and the wife liked Bucky MUCH more then Ace...

dunno how he survived last week.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Well, 'Entertainment Weekly' set odds for who will win and Chris is 2-1. Ace? 100-1.

and Macro, I enjoyed reading your last post.

Is there a theme for tonight's show? I can't remember if they said there was or not.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

It's Rod Stewart week.

Ugh! The fact that Rod Stewart made millions of dollars singing is one of the great travesties in history.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Just so long as no one sings "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Ugh! The fact that Rod Stewart made millions of dollars singing is one of the great travesties in history.
    I agree.

American Idol is doing their very best to limit viewership with the themes they have been choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Just so long as no one sings "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"
    Kevin would have done it. :
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Actually, it's "standards" week. Rod Stewart's only involved (in that faux-coach role) because he did a bunch of those songs awhile back as a theme album.
    Not all who wander are lost

BTW, regarding how Queen's appearance on Idol promoted their latest CD....not too bad (coulda been better.)

Queen's new compilation album Stone Cold Classics has entered the Billboard Chart at No. 37 this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    BTW, regarding how Queen's appearance on Idol promoted their latest CD....not too bad (coulda been better.)

Queen's new compilation album Stone Cold Classics has entered the Billboard Chart at No. 37 this week.
    Not bad at all! The question now will be whether that will be the peak or not. I don't follow album charts so I have no idea how these things usually run.

Oh, and thanks for the earlier comment, Michael.

Turn Off Ads?