Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hancock Tonight

Hancock Tonight

Hancock pitched well in relief for the cards giving up no runs, no hits, and striking out 1 in the ninth inning, the only baserunner (B. Clark) reached on a fielding error by 2b A Miles.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Hancock Tonight

Hancock had to have done something other than being fat to get the boot. Heck, Rick White isn't exactly ready for the Bow Flex commercial.

no kidding, we could use this kind of bullpen production right now, I think narron just wanted to make an example out of someone, to prove to ownership that he was also committed to winning at all cost, and wouldn't tolerate otherwise, Hancock wasn't really even that out of shape either, and just got, well, screwd

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Hancock had to have done something other than being fat to get the boot. Heck, Rick White isn't exactly ready for the Bow Flex commercial.
    I don't agree. They gave players offseason workout programs. Josh chose not to follow, and the management made an example. I don't have a problem with it.

The only caveat to that is that I don't get the feeling the rules apply to everyone. Would they have done the same thing had Dunn shown up that overweight?

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron
    no kidding, we could use this kind of bullpen production right now, I think narron just wanted to make an example out of someone, to prove to ownership that he was also committed to winning at all cost, and wouldn't tolerate otherwise, Hancock wasn't really even that out of shape either, and just got, well, screwd

Who says he got screwed? Josh Hancock now has a role in the bullpen of the team favored to win the NL Central Division & probably also the favorite to make it back to the World Series. I dunno how others feel about that, but I call it luck.

Quote Originally Posted by OSURedLeg
    Who says he got screwed? Josh Hancock now has a role in the bullpen of the team favored to win the NL Central Division & probably also the favorite to make it back to the World Series. I dunno how others feel about that, but I call it luck.
    You're right, we Reds fans got screwed.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    I don't agree. They gave players offseason workout programs. Josh chose not to follow, and the management made an example. I don't have a problem with it.

The only caveat to that is that I don't get the feeling the rules apply to everyone. Would they have done the same thing had Dunn shown up that overweight?

The difference, imo, is that Dunn wouldn't show up overweight. Making the kind of jack these players do, it's not out of line for the ballclubs to expect players to make staying in shape a 365 job.

And I have no problem with management making an example of Hancock. While I have no doubt he would have helped the ballclub this year, if you let things like that slide, it will have concequences. And let's face it...Hancock is a decent reliever, he's not anything that the Reds can't replace, or so I would hope....

It's not a secret that this is the case...Narron himself said so. Heck, Sparky Anderson was famous for saying that Rose, Morgan, Bench and Perez had a different set of rules than the rest.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I watched most of that game on Extra Innings, and in the 9th inning the announcers were politely destroying the Reds for dropping him. They understood the Reds were making an example of him but could not get over why a pitching starved team like the Reds would let him go.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I watched most of that game on Extra Innings, and in the 9th inning the announcers were politely destroying the Reds for dropping him. They understood the Reds were making an example of him but could not get over why a pitching starved team like the Reds would let him go.
    Funny, I find myself in agreement with the Cardinals announcers. Particularly after seeing what our bullpen has put up over the first 1+ week.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Still mourning over the loss of Josh Hancock? What has this guy done to get this type of reaction? His numbers and his stuff have always been mediocre to bad and he is just more of the same that isn't getting the job done here. I just don't get it--they could release 10 more of the same and still not be rid of all the bad pitchers in this organization.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Old Red Guard Reject

I just hope you meant the Hancock part and not the White/BowFlex part

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Still mourning over the loss of Josh Hancock? What has this guy done to get this type of reaction? His numbers and his stuff have always been mediocre to bad and he is just more of the same that isn't getting the job done here. I just don't get it--they could release 10 more of the same and still not be rid of all the bad pitchers in this organization.
    Except that he's better than White, Hammond and Burns. I understand the need for taking a stand. But the Reds would be better off making cuts based on talent, considering they have very little in the pen right now.

But the object isn't to get rid of the "bad pitchers." The object is to keep the best pitchers with a chance at success. In trying to make a point, the reds management didn't do that.

In trying to make a [stupid] point, the reds management [clumsily] didn't do that [and left themselves open to second guessing].

Hancock may be no better or worse than 3 or 4 guys on the staff right now, but when those guys crash and burn, the organization doesn't have josh around as AAAA depth in order to stop the bleeding.

Veteran happy Narron had a problem with Hancock. I don't mind that, but Josh wasn't even on the 40 man roster. Shove him down to the minor league camp and make him earn/pitch his way back to GAB...that's fine. That's what a good organization would do. Cutting him lose and pretending it was about his weight was just small potatoes. Who exactly got the message? Chris Hammond? Rick White? Homer Baily?

It's not like Hancock was blocking a prospect.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Except that he's better than White.
    A little slimmer too.

Turn Off Ads?