Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hancock Tonight

Re: Hancock Tonight

Josh Hancock is not your savior!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    And I'm sure he's following the Reds bullpen woes and having a nice laugh.
    woes???

Up until today, the Reds' bullpen had been unscored upon in their past 8 appearances. If this team falls back into the 2005 Reds I'll agree with you, but so far this year all Hancock is "following" is this bullpen being better than expectations and his Cardinals looking up on the Reds in first place.

I'd take Hancock over Rick White

Well, the Cards have the second best bullpen ERA in the NL compared to the 10th for the Reds. The Reds are 14th out of 16th in OPS against for the bully (.804). The Cards are second at .646. I'd say that's worth a laugh.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Well, the Cards have the second best bullpen ERA in the NL compared to the 10th for the Reds. The Reds are 14th out of 16th in OPS against for the bully (.804). The Cards are second at .646. I'd say that's worth a laugh.
    I am of the opinion that most folks (outside of sites like this) don't go home and get laughs out of comparing bullpen OPS. I think the Reds are pleased to be in first place and Josh Hancock knows he screwed up by showing up to camp out of shape and he's bound and determined to make the most of his second chance with the Cardinals, which he should.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    I'd take Hancock over Rick White
    same here. White isn't exactly cut and ripped.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    same here. White isn't exactly cut and ripped.
    He gets away with it because hes a veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Josh Hancock knows he screwed up by showing up to camp out of shape and he's bound and determined to make the most of his second chance with the Cardinals, which he should.
    Actually, that isn't true. According to Josh Hancock, the Reds never gave him a set weight to report to camp at. He was surpriesed when he was cut for that. He said he was a little overweight when he reported to camp, but it wasn't anything unusual. He also said that one thing that made it look bad is the weight listed in his bio was 17 pounds less than what he reported to camp as. Although, he hasn't weighed that since high school, so it isn't like he gained 17 pounds over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I am of the opinion that most folks (outside of sites like this) don't go home and get laughs out of comparing bullpen OPS. I think the Reds are pleased to be in first place and Josh Hancock knows he screwed up by showing up to camp out of shape and he's bound and determined to make the most of his second chance with the Cardinals, which he should.
    I agree.

There is obviously more to this story IMO. If guys get cut for being fat, would Coffey be on the team?

Hancock, it seems to me, must have reached strike 3. If this is the case, the Reds release him and say he didn't follow their orders, even though there was probably more to it. If the Reds come to the decision that they need to get rid of the guy, why tear him apart on his way out the door? Getting rid of him was deemed the important thing, not slandering him. And to this point, it is hard to argue with the results. The Reds played the best ball of anyone in the spring and they are right up there now.

Hancock of course is going to come out and say, it was a shock, he did what they asked, he was blindsided, his weight is listed wrong, blah, blah, blah.

Baloney.

I think his humiliation lasted until he got probably a dozen calls asking him to join their team's camp. If anything he's probably thinking to himself that he really got over on the Reds. And I'm sure he's following the Reds bullpen woes and having a nice laugh. I think any thought of humiliation is long gone and replaced by relief....pun intended).
    Yes, I'm sure there was quite a bidding war going on for a 28 year-old righty with a minor league career ERA of 3.98, a WHIP of 1.32, 6.85 K/9 rate. Didn't he even pass through waivers once while we had him? I mean, come on, fine if you disagree with the policy, but to paint a picture that he was highly coveted? The only thing he did was find a team that took a flier on a warm body and found a pulse, which is about all any team is looking for at the back of their bullpen these days.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    I agree.

There is obviously more to this story IMO. If guys get cut for being fat, would Coffey be on the team?

Hancock, it seems to me, must have reached strike 3. If this is the case, the Reds release him and say he didn't follow their orders, even though there was probably more to it. If the Reds come to the decision that they need to get rid of the guy, why tear him apart on his way out the door? Getting rid of him was deemed the important thing, not slandering him. And to this point, it is hard to argue with the results. The Reds played the best ball of anyone in the spring and they are right up there now.

Hancock of course is going to come out and say, it was a shock, he did what they asked, he was blindsided, his weight is listed wrong, blah, blah, blah.

Baloney.
    That's really not fair to compare Coffey since his work ethic and regimen to manage his weight has been well documented.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    The Reds played the best ball of anyone in the spring and they are right up there now.
    That has nothing to do with them losing Hancock. Are you trying to say that the Reds are playing better since Hancock is not on the team? If that is the case, then that is ridiculous. Hancock pitched very good the last month of 2005, and picked up right where he left off this year.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Yes, I'm sure there was quite a bidding war going on for a 28 year-old righty with a minor league career ERA of 3.98, a WHIP of 1.32, 6.85 K/9 rate. Didn't he even pass through waivers once while we had him? I mean, come on, fine if you disagree with the policy, but to paint a picture that he was highly coveted? The only thing he did was find a team that took a flier on a warm body and found a pulse, which is about all any team is looking for at the back of their bullpen these days.
    To be fair... Hancock has stated that the Cardinals are the only team that contacted him after being released by the Reds. Hancock pitched really well against the Cardinals in the past, and they liked what they saw of him.

I can't believe the big fuss being made over Josh Hancock. We're talking about a guy with below average stuff, average minor league stats, and bad major league stats save for maybe 25 or 30 solid innings.

Josh Hancock-Career Minor League stats

877.2 IP, 903 H, 69 HR, 255 BB, 668 K, 3.98 ERA, 1.32 WHIP

Over a hit per inning, low K rate, and he allows a decent amount of baserunners. Smell like a bad pitcher to me. It's not like he has electric stuff and has underachieved his whole career. His stuff is below average.

Don't forget his career 4.05 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, and the ridiculous 21 home runs he has allowed in 107 major league innings. 21 HR in 107 innings? Wow.

Let me just point out that Jimmy Haynes once posted a 3.10 ERA over a span of 29 consecutive innings back in 2002. Even the crappiest pitchers have a decent run every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I can't believe the big fuss being made over Josh Hancock. We're talking about a guy with below average stuff, average minor league stats, and bad major league stats save for maybe 25 or 30 solid innings.
    His last 25 or 30 innings have been very good.

Turn Off Ads?