Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a Pitcher be hung with an L without giving up a run?

Can a Pitcher be hung with an L without giving up a run?

A question for those who know the rules of the game better than I, and/or know their trivia (because I surely don't):

If, for example, Brandon Claussen (don't laugh at me) pitched nine innings without giving up a hit, but a member of the opposing team managed to score on errors, and the Redlegs didn't score a run the entire game, does Claussen still get the Loss?

Don't know why this question occurred to me yesterday...
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can a Pitcher be hung with an L without giving up a run?

No

:

A pitcher most certainly can lose without giving up an earned run. In the example you gave Claussen would get the 'L'.

If he pitched the whole game, who else would you give the loss to? Sure, he would get the 'L'.

Rem

Which begs the question, has a pitcher ever pitched a no hitter and lost? I seemed to recall one pitcher who lost a no hitter and the game in the tenth inning, but can't recall who it was.........

Off the top of my head, Harvy Haddix (?) Pirates. In the 12th, I believe on a HR by Joe Adcock (Milwaukee Braves).

Rem

I think it may have been Harvey Haddix...in the 50's...in fact it may have been an eleven inning no hitter. OK...I wont sleep tonight until I find out the answer...thanks deepred

Thanks Rem....I can rest peacefully now

Ken Johnson of the Astros lost a no-hitter to the Reds back April 23, 1964. And it was a complete game no-hitter, not one that he eventually gave up a hit in in later innngs.

http://www.astrosdaily.com/history/19640423/

Pay attention to the open sky

I knew I could get the answer on this site. I thought it was Don Wilson of the Astros against the Reds in the late 60's.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Off the top of my head, Harvy Haddix (?) Pirates. In the 12th, I believe on a HR by Joe Adcock (Milwaukee Braves).

Rem
    Harvey's was a PERFECT game....

Matt Young did it for the Red Sox in the first game of a double header against the Indians. Clemens pitched the second game and gave up only 2 hits. Tribe holds the record for fewest hits in a double header, yet they still won the game they got no hits. Funny stuff.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

To ossify my status as a fossil, I remember listening to this game.

Joe Nuxhall was the winning pitcher.

Don Wilson did pitch a no-hitter against the Reds on May 1, 1969 at Crosley. Jim Maloney had pitched one against the Astros the night before. Evidently there was some bad blood.

http://www.astrosdaily.com/history/19690501/

Pay attention to the open sky

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Not exactly what zombie describes, but this thread made me think of it...

Early in the 1917 season, at the ballpark now known as Wrigley Field, Hippo Vaughn dueled with Fred Toney of the CINCINNATI REDS for 9 hitless innings. After retiring 28 Cincinnati hitters without yielding a hit, Vaughn finally allowed a one-out base hit in the 10th to REDS shortstop Larry Kopf. Hal Chase followed with a liner dropped by outfielder Cy Williams, leaving runners on second and third. Gold-medal Olympic decathlete, turned major league outfielder, Jim Thorpe hit a slow roller to the third base side of the mound, and Vaughn tried to make a play on Kopf dashing home. But the defensive decision surprised catcher Art Wilson, and the throw bounced away from him, allowing Kopf to score.

And with that, the baseball gods cast Vaughn away for Toney. It was Fred Toney who finished with the no-hitter (after setting the Cubs down in order in the bottom half of the 10th) and the victory. And it was Vaughn who was forced to face the short end of the most unique single-game stick in baseball history.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Melton Andrew "Andy" Hawkins (born January 21, 1960 in Waco, Texas) is a former major-league pitcher. A right-handed starter, Hawkins spent most of his career with the San Diego Padres, and also played for the New York Yankees and briefly for the Oakland Athletics.

In 1990, Hawkins pitched a no-hitter for the Yankees against the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park and lost the game. He was the first Yankees pitcher to lose a no-hitter. The 4-0 loss was also the biggest margin of a no-hitter loss in the 20th century. Several years later, the Elias Sports Bureau, the official keeper of statistics for Major League Baseball, changed the definition of a no-hitter so that Hawkins' game was no longer classified as a no-hitter. The precise change required that a pitcher throw nine full innings to be credited with a no-hitter. Since Hawkins played for the visiting team in the game in question, the White Sox never batted in the ninth inning, meaning that although he pitched a complete game, he did not pitch nine innings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Hawkins
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

No. Worst that can happen is he gets a no decision. A pitcher can lose a game without giving up a hit as several people have said. A pitcher can lose a game without giving up an earned run but a pitcher cannot get a loss if he does not give up a run.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?