Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So IF we made a trade...

jredmo2

So IF we made a trade...

..what do we want? What are we willing to give up? Before the season started I'm sure everyone would say we need starting pitching and we would be willing to give up say a Kearns, right? Now it looks like everyone wants relief, for say a Larue. Without a doubt, our bullpen absolutely sucks, and if our team is going to legitamitely contend we're gonna have to shore it up. The frustrating thing for us Reds fans has to be that our rotation has sucked so bad the last few years.. how can we understand and appreciate a good start by our young pitchers when it seems to be instantly ruined by our crappy bullpen veterens. So...

-Do we push for youth? Can Shack and Wagner help our pen enough that we don't even have to make a move?

-Is our rotation even good at all? On one hand, none of the starters are proven aces on any staff. On the other hand, Arroyo is 29 pitching real damn good, Milton has had success, Claussen and Harang have promise and were top prospects in pitching-rich organizations... could they gel to be dominant?

-Do our starters even need to be dominant? Our offense is incredible. I don't know what idiocy keeps Freel out of the lineup and hacks like Womack and Hatteburg in, but regardless from 1-8 our lineup poses problems for pretty much any staff. Lopez needs to be signed long-term, he is by-far the most valuable asset on the team. EE is only going to get better, yes his errors piss me off like anyone, but watching him I have no doubt studliness is in his future. And Dunn is a monster. Kearns is looking to show why he was considered a better all-around prosepect than Dunn. And Griffey.. Jesus the guy is still absolutely DANGEROUS in any situation.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I have the faith. I went to Wrigley Field tuesday and had the pleasure of not only seeing a Jr. homerun land five feet next to me, but also hundreds of Cubs fans being pissed off (a REALLY beautiful thing). i saw the Reds' outfield, during a pitching change, convening solely to heckle the Cubs fans. I saw Griffey giggle like he was 24 years old again.

So doubt if you want to doubt. I'm not denying the team's weaknesses (BULLPEN). But, please let us appreciate possibly one of the most unbelievable lineups ever assembled, and let us appreciate hopefully a GM who knows how to get the rest of the pieces in place.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So IF we made a trade...

The pen is my biggest concern. I'd like to keep Dunn, Kearns, EE, Lopez, Freel, Harang, Claussen and Arroyo. Mostly everyone else can go, even Griffey and Milton. But the caveat for those 2 is the money HAS to be put back into the team.

I am a realist and was not expecting much from Cincy this year with their staff. But after the 9 games, I am just hoping they can get a few legit arms in place and...who knows what happens next?

I think we need to cut Hammond and White and call up Shakcelford and Wagner. I really don't think those 2 can do any worse than the other guys. Then I'd call LA and see what is needed for Brazoban, since it seems as if they aren't in love with him. But any trades we make should be with an eye on the future. Hopeully get BP help of pitchers in their 20s, not someone who taught Hammond how to throw his changeup.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Well you figure.. we have the arms to help our bullpen with the likes of Wagner and Shackelford. I don't see Burns remaining on the big league club so that would open a spot. You figure Wilson should be coming back either this month or early next month, which you could move Williams to spot start/long relief or do the same with Wilson. That improves the bullpen a little. If I were making a trade I'd try to get a Joey Gatheright from Tampa Bay or Starting Pitcher.. because you can't ever have enough pitching.

At this point, I think the only trade we should make should be for bullpen help; I am not concerned about the rotation. Package a catcher and a middle infielder for a couple of relievers (maybe even a 1st baseman too).

I've seen on espn.com that the Reds are shopping Kearns for a DECENT starting pitcher. I don't like this, we should not be trading Kearns right now, especially for only a decent starting pitcher. Austin is finally starting to look like the Kearns of old, and if we are going to trade him for anything, it has to be better than only a decent starter. Or we can go the other way and NOT trade him, and I like that idea.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Right now, there are only two players the Reds have that would fetch any real cheese on the market, and that's FeLo and Dunn.

Griffey is going nowhere. 10-5, yada yada yada....

Milton, possibly at the deadline if he pitches very well, and the Reds are out of it. Won't get a whole lot even then.

Quote Originally Posted by VI_RedsFan
    At this point, I think the only trade we should make should be for bullpen help; I am not concerned about the rotation. Package a catcher and a middle infielder for a couple of relievers (maybe even a 1st baseman too).

I've seen on espn.com that the Reds are shopping Kearns for a DECENT starting pitcher. I don't like this, we should not be trading Kearns right now, especially for only a decent starting pitcher. Austin is finally starting to look like the Kearns of old, and if we are going to trade him for anything, it has to be better than only a decent starter. Or we can go the other way and NOT trade him, and I like that idea.

Agreed on that. Kearns looked like a superstar until Ray King sat on him. If he continues hitting the way he has been, I would only trade him for a pitcher with youth who could contribute NOW. Someone like Brandon McCarthy.

How about Homer Bailey and Chris Denorfia for LHP Dontrelle Willis?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I think you guys will regret it in 5 years if Kearns is traded, time and time again. He's going to be really really good. Not superstar, but I forsee big time solid numbers out of him for the next 7-8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I think you guys will regret it in 5 years if Kearns is traded, time and time again. He's going to be really really good. Not superstar, but I forsee big time solid numbers out of him for the next 7-8 years.
    I don't think anyone on this thread wants to trade Kearns. But if we got a young, potential stud SP I don't think anyone would complain, either. I would trade Kearns for McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    If the Marlins wanted to trade WIllis, and offered him up for bidding, Bailey and Denorfia would get you about half way there.

I'd be calling the Twins.....they have some nice young rocket arms.......Rincon or Crain would be a nice pick up..........and I think Kearns could net one of them..........

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty

In a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    I'd be calling the Twins.....they have some nice young rocket arms.......Rincon or Crain would be a nice pick up..........and I think Kearns could net one of them..........
    I would love Crain, but Kearns would be a little too much for him. I'd want something else in the mix as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2
    ..what do we want? What are we willing to give up? Before the season started I'm sure everyone would say we need starting pitching and we would be willing to give up say a Kearns, right? Now it looks like everyone wants relief, for say a Larue. Without a doubt, our bullpen absolutely sucks, and if our team is going to legitamitely contend we're gonna have to shore it up. The frustrating thing for us Reds fans has to be that our rotation has sucked so bad the last few years.. how can we understand and appreciate a good start by our young pitchers when it seems to be instantly ruined by our crappy bullpen veterens. So...

-Do we push for youth? Can Shack and Wagner help our pen enough that we don't even have to make a move?

-Is our rotation even good at all? On one hand, none of the starters are proven aces on any staff. On the other hand, Arroyo is 29 pitching real damn good, Milton has had success, Claussen and Harang have promise and were top prospects in pitching-rich organizations... could they gel to be dominant?

-Do our starters even need to be dominant? Our offense is incredible. I don't know what idiocy keeps Freel out of the lineup and hacks like Womack and Hatteburg in, but regardless from 1-8 our lineup poses problems for pretty much any staff. Lopez needs to be signed long-term, he is by-far the most valuable asset on the team. EE is only going to get better, yes his errors piss me off like anyone, but watching him I have no doubt studliness is in his future. And Dunn is a monster. Kearns is looking to show why he was considered a better all-around prosepect than Dunn. And Griffey.. Jesus the guy is still absolutely DANGEROUS in any situation.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I have the faith. I went to Wrigley Field tuesday and had the pleasure of not only seeing a Jr. homerun land five feet next to me, but also hundreds of Cubs fans being pissed off (a REALLY beautiful thing). i saw the Reds' outfield, during a pitching change, convening solely to heckle the Cubs fans. I saw Griffey giggle like he was 24 years old again.

So doubt if you want to doubt. I'm not denying the team's weaknesses (BULLPEN). But, please let us appreciate possibly one of the most unbelievable lineups ever assembled, and let us appreciate hopefully a GM who knows how to get the rest of the pieces in place.
    i wouldnt have said to trade kearns. in fact i would never say that. hes one of our best all around performers. we currently have 3 guys i would not move, Lopez, Freel and Kearns. id move dunn and get as much good and young pitching as possible, IF i were to make any moves(and thats not counting small ones involving an aurillia or something) personally i like our team as is right now with the exception of our bullpenn. but i wouldnt want to hurt our team in the field just yet in a trade

as for lopez, he needs locked up NOW

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    In a heartbeat.
    i dont know if id do that. but then ive never been a fan of willis'.

Turn Off Ads?