Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: (With Freel in LF-otherwise he's clear #1 2B)Make these backup picks/Freel elsewhere

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phillips gets majority of PT, spot starts for RA- TW Jettisoned

23 67.65%
  • Phillips gets majority of PT, spot starts for TW

4 11.76%
  • RA gets majority of PT, spot starts for Phillips- TW Jettisoned

3 8.82%
  • RA gets majority of PT, spot starts for TW

3 8.82%
  • TW gets majority of PT, RZ crashes, earth falls off its axis

1 2.94%

Thread: Poll: Choice of 2nd basemen - Division of Playing time

Poll: Choice of 2nd basemen - Division of Playing time

Thoughts? Freel's in left field as was discussed somewhere else. Dunner at 1st. If those two moves don't happen then just view the poll as establishing the hierarchy behind Freel when Freel IS at 2nd.

Oh, and you don't necessarily HAVE to jettison Tony Womack even if you pick that choice.
    Last edited by WMR; 04-14-2006 at 03:55 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Poll: Choice of 2nd basemen - Division of Playing time

eh, where's the poll?

Dunn needs to be at first with Freel getting most of the playing time in the outfield. Let Phillips and Womack battle it out to see who's the better choice for second, although I like Phillips.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I chose the first option, Jettisoned Womack and brought back Deno b/c he'll now be the 4th outfielder and get PLENTY of ABs each week.

BTW: This is until Griff is eventually moved to LF. At that point, I probably install Freel as the starting CF but work Deno into the lineup on an EXTREMELY consistent basis... Maybe flip-flop that and make Deno the starter and Freel the sub.... I'd just hafta see them perform and go from there. HOWEVER: If the kid Phillips is hitting AT ALL, I don't use Freel very often at 2b. I think Phillips will grow if we let him.

I didn't get past (Jettison TW) before clicking with glee
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Let Phillips and Womack battle it out to see who's the better choice for second, although I like Phillips.
    Battle it out with bats.... and I hope Phillips uses a corked bat and gets most of the licks in.

We already know what Womack can (or can't) do. IMO - he shouldn't even be in the equation. He is just "muddling the waters".

Dump his butt and bring Denorfia back up. Play Freel and Phillips at 2B.

The thing that bothers me is that Phillips, regardless of his "problems" in Cleveland is still, IMO, a young, raw, undeveloped talent. I want to see this kid given a chance and what he can do. Does he possess the potential, and can he be straightened out?

If he doesn't get the playing time, then we'll never know.

This organization has got to come to a decision on this and quick IMO. And they need to start "weeding out" guys like Womack, Abad (he's 33 yrs old, and has proven little)... and yes, even RA after this year.

But this bottleneck at 2B is simply ridiculous. It's like they are saying "We really can't make a decision at this stage. We're waiting for someone to step it up."

How can anyone when Narron is trying to give them all playing time? That is really limiting guy's A/Bs.

So, with the options presented above... I went with the first.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-14-2006 at 04:30 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

how about putting Freel at 2nd base and calling up Denorfia. Get rid of Womack and let Phillips and Aurilia back up Felo and Freel. I also don't have much problem with Hatteberg at 1st base so far, but I would rather see Dunn there everyday.
    Last edited by Jpup; 04-14-2006 at 07:46 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    BTW: This is until Griff is eventually moved to LF. At that point, I probably install Freel as the starting CF but work Deno into the lineup on an EXTREMELY consistent basis... Maybe flip-flop that and make Deno the starter and Freel the sub.... I'd just hafta see them perform and go from there. HOWEVER: If the kid Phillips is hitting AT ALL, I don't use Freel very often at 2b. I think Phillips will grow if we let him.
    I do agree with the fact that phillips should be the starter, only based on the limitations of the poll, however when griffey returns and freel is not slated to play LF with dunn on first (as the lineup should be) I do not agree that phillips plays over freel ANY day of the week. Yes I agree that phillips should get the chance to prove he can play everyday, freel is too good to keep out of the lineup, and our ONLY proven leadoff hitter, not to mention the most exciting player to watch on this squad, (jr's swing is right up there)

Put BP in the 8 hole, put his glovely defense to work, and work with him on his swing.

BP at what 24? Is already are best defensive seconds baseman, and has some serious wheels.

Although I am always for playing the younger guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'd like to see Phillips in more, assuming Freel is already in the lineup. He's still very young and should be given more of a chance than being a back-up to TW. Dump TW so they can start either Freel or Phillips and RA can cover all the infield positions and get spot starts.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Turn Off Ads?