Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN's Newest Baseball Theory

ESPN's Newest Baseball Theory

The baseballs are juiced...again. Mike and Mike have been going on and on about it this morning. They just played a clip from "Hawk" Harrelson and he thinks the balls are juiced as well.

any thoughts?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN's Newest Baseball Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    The baseballs are juiced...again. Mike and Mike have been going on and on about it this morning. They just played a clip from "Hawk" Harrelson and he thinks the balls are juiced as well.

any thoughts?
    Well, if Mike and Mike and the Hawkeroo think the balls are juiced, then it must be true.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Well, if Mike and Mike and the Hawkeroo think the balls are juiced, then it must be true.
    I wasn't agreeing with them, I was just wondering if anyone had the same thoughts. :
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Hey Chip, go ahead and close the thread. I didn't see this one on the same topic. sorry.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44895

Hey Chip, go ahead and close the thread. I didn't see this one on the same topic. sorry.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44895

No worries, that thread is in Reds Live. This one will remain open.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

any thoughts?
    Don't balls shrink when they're on the juice?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I love how ESPN is now pimping the fact that the balls are juiced again...yet, I can't turn on the TV without hearing that Barry Bonds has zero HRs and but 1 RBI through his first sixteen at bats.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Muckraking is alive and well. When things are slow in the "journalistic" field, they have to have something to get people's attention.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Don't balls shrink when they're on the juice?
    Mine don't.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I could see them juicing them up so that there is not a considerable drop-off in HR production, since most players that were once taking steroids are no longer. A level HR graph from year to year, added with increased drug testing, may lead fans to believe that the steroid "problem" was not as bad as most first thought. The game could only gain from this perception, even if it is a lie. Of course, it doesn't help matters when your baseball journalists and media members are pointing it out (true or not). You'd think, for the sake of their own careers, they'd want the least amount of controversy as possible for the game they sell to the public. Why bite off the hand that feeds ya?

FWIW, I don't think they're juiced. It would be stupid to take that chance, especially considering that the game doesn't need more bad pub right now. Nothing would surprise me though.

No-freakin-way does Milton have a sub-3.00 ERA with juiced baseballs. No way on Earth.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

In 1943 due to wartime restrictions, the Ball was really affected by a cement they used, the Reds GM was really the guy that stirred up the revolt about it after they had a Run Differential of 13-9 in April.

We've been hearing on and off for years and maybe they have been juicing the balls and maybe they haven't. But what I'd like to know is let's say they juiced up the ball 15 years ago. Then they juiced it up some more 3-4 years later. Then they juiced it up again another 3-4 years down the road. Then they did it again this year. My question is, how much can you continue to juice a ball? How tight can you pull that yarn before you can't pull it any tighter? Are they manufacturing some kind of synthetic cork that makes the ball jump farther?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Maybe they should X-ray the darn things and make sure that a Pro V1 hasn't been implanted into the core.

"Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?