Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: On Dunn... from yesterday

On Dunn... from yesterday

I didn't want to be seen as a hit-and-run poster on this one. I posted in the game thread something I heard about Dunn and his poor work ethic, especially when it comes to defense.

I took a couple of hits for it, including this:

This is a lie, and if your telling the truth, that beat writer should be fired. You're a newbie, so I will give you a freebie. But you need to know here that Dunn is not going to be traded. Dunn being traded is like the Bird Flu, yeah it could happen, but we don't talk about it.
    First of all, I'm not new. I've been here a long time, although I don't post nearly as much as some. I'm certainly not lying about this. Why would I? But if you don't want to believe it, don't. I didn't think it was all that shocking to be honest. Does Dunn look like someone who spends a lot of time working on his defense?

I'm not saying Dunn will be traded. I don't have any indication that's the case. Teams put up with guys who don't work hard if they put up big numbers. Maybe the Reds will too. But when they're weighing everything and making decisions about the future, don't think this will be ignored. It will be a factor.

Anyway ... Like I said, I didn't want to be seen as a hit-and-run poster on this one. Pound me to bits if you like.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: On Dunn... from yesterday

You have to look around the league guys like ManRam and Bonds don't play great D out in left but they have the opportunity to hit the ball out of the park everytime they are up. I'll take that than stellar D and 15hr power.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    You have to look around the league guys like ManRam and Bonds don't play great D out in left but they have the opportunity to hit the ball out of the park everytime they are up. I'll take that than stellar D and 15hr power.
    I would think Dunn would have more the 15hr. Otherwise
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    I would think Dunn would have more the 15hr. Otherwise

He's saying he'd rather have Dunn than a good defensive fielder who only jacks 15 out all season.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Maybe the Reds will too. But when they're weighing everything and making decisions about the future, don't think this will be ignored. It will be a factor.
    They just inked him to a multi year contract, so worrying about "what" will happen to him based in his D in the first 8 games is th least of my worries.

I just meant that they're not trading him anytime soon because he plays poor D. He's playing a little worse defense in left because he spent the spring playing first base and isn't in shape to play the outfield yet. You don't have to be a beat writer to know that.

They aren't paying him to be a great left fielder. He's always been adequate in left, not fabulous. He will never win a gold glove, but they aren't paying him to win gold gloves. There is no sense in talking about trading Dunn because it isn't going to happen. It's like talk of impeaching bush. This team is built around him.

It's like talk of impeaching bush. This team is built around him.
    That is one poor example.

I'm sorry I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I'm sorry I'm sorry.
    My take is he's as important as "Tinky Winky" is to his team.

Those tele-tubbys just scare me.

They just inked him to a multi year contract, so worrying about "what" will happen to him based in his D in the first 8 games is th least of my worries.
    Not saying anything is based on his D in the first eight games. I'm saying if they decide to look at a trade, his poor work ethic will be a factor in the decision. The poor D is just a symptom of the greater problem (laziness).

As for that multi-year contract, we both know that has nothing to do with trading him or not trading him. It gives them some cost certainty, but it also gives interested trading partners cost certainty. If anything, it increases his value on the market. Ask Bronson Arroyo about multi-year contracts.

Again, I'm not saying they want to trade him. I don't think they do. But they do want him to put in some work.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I just meant that they're not trading him anytime soon because he plays poor D. He's playing a little worse defense in left because he spent the spring playing first base and isn't in shape to play the outfield yet. You don't have to be a beat writer to know that.

They aren't paying him to be a great left fielder. He's always been adequate in left, not fabulous. He will never win a gold glove, but they aren't paying him to win gold gloves. There is no sense in talking about trading Dunn because it isn't going to happen. It's like talk of impeaching bush. This team is built around him.
    The first comment about his work ethic came long before this season. So it had nothing to do with the first eight games and his lousy performance in the field during those games.

And you're right ... they're not paying him to be a great left fielder. But they are paying him to work hard and be a professional.

Look, he's still young. He could get it. And if he doesn't, he'll still hit a ton of home runs and that will be enough for some. And that's fine. I was just passing along something I was told. I will admit that I don't know if I've ever been more frustrated with a player than I was with Dunn during opening day. I kept hearing the words of that writer every time Dunn botched a play in the field. It was one of those moments when I wonder why I care so much when the guys playing the game obviously don't.

I apologize I wasn't trying to come down hard on you Celtic. And you're really not a newbie, I didn't pay attention to your post count (as if that matters). I just thought you meant if dunn keeps playing sub par left field he's outta here, and I don't believe he'll be traded.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

I cannot see any way that they could trade Dunn, it doesn't add up. WMP is gone KGJ is getting up there in years. what are we going to do trade the whole outfield away for a little bit of pitching. Come on, Am I the only one who realizes that we have a very short window here to make something happen. I mean how long do you think guys like Lopez will be affordable, Rich won't be around much longer. Hatteberg's going to need to be replaced eventually to contend. You would spend more money replacing and filling than you would to go out and get a top notch pitcher or two. Keep it close and make the right moves this year while you have a line-up capable of putting up 7 or 8 runs a game, why taer down the line up that led the national league in runs scored. Go get an ace and a 1B with some pop, and let Dave Williams and Paul wilson make the bullpen better.

Not sure what is worse, hit and run posting, or hit and run accusations.

That is the second time you (Celtic) have trumpeted "laziness" as a label to apply to Dunn, with absolutely nothing to back it up. It's not that hard to do...here, watch:

"I was talking with a guy that works with osuceltic, and he says that celtic never does one thing beyond his job description to help around work and that he is the rudest person he has ever been around."

Now, not saying Celtic WILL lose his job, but IF he does, it might be because of that.

Now, obviously, untrue. I don't know Celtic, and he's not a public figure, so no reason why anyone would care about his work habits, but throwing around those kinds of labels about ballplayers based on supposed conversations isn't much better.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-14-2006 at 10:52 AM.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

you lost me with this post please explain

Turn Off Ads?