Turn Off Ads?

Thread: TATB's That '70s Show quiz

TATB's That '70s Show quiz

I thought this might be kind of fun.

http://touchingallthebases.blogspot....s-show_14.html

Ain't no time to write tonight. Too busy plotting how to take Sox tormentors Ted (Sandy Koufax) Lilly and Frank (George Brett) Catalanotto hostage until, oh, October. While I try to accomplish my mission on behalf of The Nation - yeah, better put Reed Johnson on the list, too - here's a silly, simple little quiz to keep you pencil-necks occupied: Try and identify as many of the following players from their late '70s MLB mugshots as possible. Some should be obvious - if you don't recognize young RemDawg (RemPup?), you've obviously stumbled onto the wrong site - while others are even more obscure than the current Kansas City Royals. I've offered a clue beneath each photo; later today I'll add a link to each player's baseball-reference.com page as a way of ID'ing them. Have at it, and I should be back with a real post - you know, with words and sentences and maybe even an actual freakin' point - late tonight/early Saturday.

Okay, here goes . . .

First-ballot TATB Hall of Famer still hold Sox' single-season record for homers by a third baseman; real first name is Clell, middle name Lavern.

. . . his middle name, however, is seven letters, begins with F.

Decent hitter in his day who is actually more gifted at helping others succeed at the plate.

What he might have said in the summer of '78: "You think I can play? Man, you ought to see my oldest son. He's 14 and he's going to be a great one. All the talent in the world. Kinda has a big head, though."

At 5-foot-3-inches, he even had to call Freddie Patek "Big Guy."

Sure, you know who this is. But did you know he was an Oriole for a season?

Says he still hears from Sox fans grateful to him for beating Catfish Hunter and the Yankees on the final day of the '78 regular season, thus forcing the 1-game playoff.

Pedro should have finished him off while he had the chance.

"Dude, where's my mustache? No, seriously, where's my mustache, dude? C'MON, IT WAS JUST ON MY FACE A MINUTE AGO!"

He's TATB's pet cause, a .311 career hitter and a gem of a guy who, sadly, is remembered as little more than a tragic footnote to baseball history.

I went sky divin'/I went Rocky Mountain climbin' . . .

You might not recognize him without his finger in his nostril, but do you think he even admits anymore that he managed the horrendous '77 Mets?

Strangely, there is no mention of his miserably failed attempt at a home perm on his Hall of Fame plaque.

Claims he pitched a no-hitter while under the influence of LSD. Looking at this picture, I tend to believe him.

"And you want fries with that?"

As far as I know, he's the only player in big league history whose first and last names are comprised of the words for four body parts.

The original Boomer, he ate himself out of baseball . . . but he might still be in better shape than the current Boomer.

If he didn't have the coolest name in the big leagues in the '70s . . .

. . . then it was definitely this guy . . .

. . . though come to think of it, his name is pretty damn unforgettable too.

Nicknamed "Cool Breeze," his release by the Expos prompted Bill Lee to break into the general manager's office and protest in some bizarre way, eventually costing him his big-league career as well.

You know, I bet that's the same blank look he gets on his face when Orsillo tries to be funny.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TATB's That '70s Show quiz

Butch Hobson
    Bucky Dent
    Not sure
    Bobby Bonds
    Not sure
    Reggie Jackson
    Wayne Garland
    Don Zimmer
    Dennis Eckersley
    Lyman Bostock
    Tug McGraw
    Joe Torre
    Mike Schmidt
    Dock Ellis
    Oscar Gamble
    Not sure
    George Scott
    not sure
    Sixto Lezcano
    Lou Brock
    Not sure
    Jerry Remy
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Butch Hobson
    Bucky Dent
    Not sure
    Bobby Bonds
    Not sure
    Reggie Jackson
    Wayne Garland
    Don Zimmer
    Dennis Eckersley
    Lyman Bostock
    Tug McGraw
    Joe Torre
    Mike Schmidt
    Dock Ellis
    Oscar Gamble
    Not sure
    George Scott
    not sure
    Sixto Lezcano
    Lou Brock
    Not sure
    Jerry Remy
    Oscar Gamble? Try, Ozzie Smith.
    Tony Armas is after him.

And I think that's Ken Landreaux, not Sixto Lezcano.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

1. Butch Hobson
    2. Bucky Dent
    3. Ron Jackson
    4. Bobby Bonds
    5. ?
    6. Reggie Jackson
    7. ?
    8. Don Zimmer
    9. Dennis Eckersley
    10. Lymon Bostock
    11. Tug McGraw
    12. Joe Torre
    13. Mike Schmidt
    14. Dock Ellis
    15. Ozzie Smith
    16. Tony Armas
    17. George Scott
    18. Bombo Rivera
    19. Sixto Lezcano
    20. Bake McBride
    21. Rodney Scott
    22. Jerry Remy
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

As far as I know, he's the only player in big league history whose first and last names are comprised of the words for four body parts.
    Wrong. There are two players with that distinction.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Wrong. There are two players with that distinction.
    The other is Tony Armas, Jr. (Which might be five body parts, depending on how you count! )
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think I can fill in the White Sox player that seems to be a mystery.

How bout Harry Chappas (sp?)

As far as the Indians guy, Im going with Wayne Garland also, Big Klu seems to have the rest of them correct.

Harry Chappas is correct. Looks like the only one missing is Rick Waits.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?