Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds promote outfielder Quinton McCrackenand other Reds moves.

Re: Reds promote outfielder Quinton McCrackenand other Reds moves.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Fine call him up and let him turn into Wily Mo Pena and rot on the bench. Griffey missed 2 game, don't act like he has missed a week.

We scored 8 runs in our 1st game without Grifffey, and today we faced a Cy Young pitcher (and struggled, but Denorfia wouldn't change that). This team isn't lacking offense.
    Wily Mo Pena was 21 years old when he needed to be in the Show full time. Chris Denorfia is nearly 26. There's no comparison to be made there.

Secondly, Denorfia in CF is better than Freel in CF defensively and Freel at 2B is better than Womack at 2B both offensively and defensively.

There's nothing to be lost and everything to be gained by slotting Denorfia in CF while Griffey's down. Getting Denorfia here yesterday helps both the offense and the defense. He's the best option to start in place of an injured player and the best option off the bench in the system (including anyone on the current MLB roster). He produced a .896 OPS in AAA last season and has started off at an 1.044 OPS in AAA this season. He's a better CF option than anyone else on the MLB roster and he's an age at which he could easily break out in even a reserve role.

You can go small sample size all you want, but the best teams in the long run have the best possible combination of players on their roster. Denorfia is better than all the other options and is talented enough to produce right now even in a limited role.

You can continue your "If it ain't broke don't fix it" stance or you could figure out that producing and optimal MLB roster has significant value. Your choice.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

One thing I don't get from the people who are worried about "stunting" Denorfia's growth.

So what?
    He's 26 now, he's going to be a Red for at least 3 more years. If the the plan goes well, the following players will also be Reds for 3 more years; Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr.
    Now admittedly one of these three could be moved to first base,(but of course Votto is showing some promise right now at AA.)
    So exactly when are we going to bring up Denorfia?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Calling up a near-26 year old Denorfia and asking him to play isn't going to stunt his growth in any way, shape, or form. It'll do nothing but help the team.
    common sense, here? Reds are 7-3, start printing the playoff tickets.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Fine call him up and let him turn into Wily Mo Pena and rot on the bench. Griffey missed 2 game, don't act like he has missed a week.
    a strawman, the comparison is apples and oranges and holds no water at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    JR can't be counted on to play a lot, he misses A LOT of games every year, why not use those at bats on the young kid?
    better yet use them on a player who is ready for the majors and is going to perform better than the current flotsam.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis

Everybody expected the '06 Reds to be better than their 7-3 record, right?

That offense is so riddled with holes it's amazing they pushed a run across Friday night.

When results aren't enough, what can appease the critics?

from Rob Neyer

The Reds did one thing right this spring: They finally committed themselves to playing Austin Kearns in right field every day. It should have happened a year or so ago, but better late than never. Anyway, that was the old general manager, and there's a new sheriff in town.

Problem is, the new sheriff ain't exactly Cleavon Little in Blazing Saddles. When Wayne Krivsky took over as Reds general manager, he inherited a team that scored more runs in 2005 than any other National League team. That's not likely to happen again. But with a couple of tweaks and a little bit of luck, the Reds figure to feature one of the league's top hitting attacks again.

Keep Freel at second base, move Adam Dunn to first base, send young Chris Denorfia to left field, and watch the numbers pile up on the scoreboard. Any baseball fan with a functioning cortex and a passing familiarity with Bill James would have passed this test.

Krivsky failed. He signed Scott Hatteberg after having inherited Womack -- both of whom essentially washed out of the American League last year -- and actually gave them everyday jobs, which pushed Freel to a utility role, Dunn to left field, and Denorfia to the bench. There are only eight non-pitching jobs in the lineup. It's pretty hard to screw up three of them within a few months. Yet Krivsky seems to have managed exactly that. It's early, and maybe he's a quick study. But if this is really the way things are going to be, I wouldn't want to be a Reds fan for the next few years.

Man Pills

Womack and Hatteberg represent very, very small problems. They really do. This team will be a top three offense with or without them.

This team really has only one legitimate concern.

This team really has only one legitimate concern.
    Two, team defense is currently atrocious, let's hope it improves.

While most folks would prefer that Denorfia ride the pine or get some starting time when Jr. is down, chances are good that they want to use him in that capacity or as part of trade in the near future, but in the meantime they're scoping out what path they'll be taking. While they play the smaller OF's of Wrigley and the GAB it should matter less, especially if Griffey comes back quicker that expected.

7-3 is a small sample size just like 25 at bats is, as long as the Reds continue on the current path hand wringing over the end of the bench will probably be the least of their worries.

But as usual it will be on the top of the the to-do list here at RZ.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    The expectation of continued positive long-term results created by an optimized MLB roster.

Next time that happens, it'll be the first time.
    So you think Krivsky is looking "clueless" as well?
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    from Rob Neyer
    I've been reading Rob Neyer for years. And, frankly, I prefer to do my own thinking.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

I've been reading Rob Neyer for years. And, frankly, I prefer to do my own thinking.
    of course you could make an argument as to why to he is wrong.

The day WMP was traded I suggested Denorfia should become an everyday player and Dunn stay at 1st.

Is anyone willing to make an argument that Freel should not be the everyday 2b? If so, I'm all ears to hear the reasoning and see the data.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-15-2006 at 01:10 PM.

So you think Krivsky is looking "clueless" as well?
    The worst starting positional players in MLB from 2005 have starting jobs on the right side of the Reds infield the majority of the time. Neither player does anything to help the offense versus an optimized configuration nor do the Reds gain a defensive advantage at any position as long as they're on the field. Those issues will, over the long haul, lead to Runs Scored and Runs Allowed bleed.

And let's be clear- the Reds will not score 988 Runs this season (6.1 RPG- their current "pace") with the current offensive player strategy. The real kicker is that the better offensive roster options (Freel, Denorfia) also better optimize the defense at two positions (2B, LF) while we'd see a push (at worst) at a third (1B).

While the Reds' 7-3 record may appear at first glace to be evidence of a successful plan, we need to ask ourselves whether or not the Reds can continue to expect success under said "plan".

Unfortunately, the answer is "no" because, while the Reds are succeeding, they're succeeding "badly". The offense cannot continue at its current pace (6.1 RPG) while the pitching and defense is much closer to a more likely number (5.6 Runs Allowed per Game). The Reds offense is going to have a difficult time hitting the 800 RS mark while giving so many PA to Womack and Hatteberg. They're going to have a difficult time allowing fewer than 800 given the current state of the pitching staff and defensive configuration. When you're in that situation, optimizing the MLB roster does nothing but help.

Is Krivsky "clueless" in the macro sense? I'm not ready to claim that. But he's shown no ability thusfar to optimize the offensive and defensive configuration of his roster when faced with slam-dunk-easy choices. In short, he's had "better" staring him straight in the face but decided on "worse" instead. That's everything but smart. Ten games in April doesn't change that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Steel, you're just a party pooper.

The world looks great through red colored glasses.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Two, team defense is currently atrocious, let's hope it improves.

While most folks would prefer that Denorfia ride the pine or get some starting time when Jr. is down, chances are good that they want to use him in that capacity or as part of trade in the near future, but in the meantime they're scoping out what path they'll be taking. While they play the smaller OF's of Wrigley and the GAB it should matter less, especially if Griffey comes back quicker that expected.

7-3 is a small sample size just like 25 at bats is, as long as the Reds continue on the current path hand wringing over the end of the bench will probably be the least of their worries.

But as usual it will be on the top of the the to-do list here at RZ.

I agree that the defense is far from ideal. But I also think that early season glaring flubbed plays tend to focus a great deal more attention on the defense than is probably warranted. The only real spot where the Reds are egregiously deficient is CF, and, well, complaining about Griffey not moving, to me, is the height of futility. The best that one can hope in that instance is for Griffey to get hurt and that's stupid because his stick more than makes up for his defensive shortcomings.

I actually think the defense on the infield is standard, not great, but sufficient.

Plus, I think that as the pitching improves, and fewer balls are put in play, so too the defense "improves."

To me, complaining about Hatteberg's presence is somewhat legitimate, but mildly missing the point.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think we have to be careful when allocating demerits and remember that some of this traces back to Narron. Krivsky said he's not the type to micromanage the manager, so we ought to consider whether a specific beef is with who's on the 25-man or how the 25-man is being used.

And I still don't know exactly whose idea it was for Dunn to go back to LF.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Turn Off Ads?